MoFi UltraDeck / StudioDeck Owners and those interested

Well my luck with this TT upgrade keeps getting better! The MoFi record weight arrived yesterday and they sent me the “Champion“ not the standard. I didn‘t want to get charged the extra $200, especially because I was skeptical that there would be a difference, so I called and they allowed me to keep it for no additional charge.

So, I was in the “this has to be snake oil“ camp, and before you say “of course if you put an almost one pound hockey puck on your spindle it will sound different”, remember that my Fluance record weight is even heavier and similar in design and I definitely thought it degraded the music quality. Well to my surprise there is definitely a very noticeable improvement in sound quality most noticeable in depth of bass clarity. I will have to do some more A/B testing this weekend.

One issue is that the head shell can clip the top of the weight so you need to watch for that when lifting the tonearmView attachment 138979.
Where’d ya order the weight from?

Where’d ya order the weight from?
Music Direct, the packing slip has initials for who pulled the item and another set for who packaged it. Not sure if they are out of the $200 version or if it was a mistake since the item numbers are very similar, but the package is totally different the $200 version is in a carboard box and the $400 version comes in a nice wooden keepsake box.

Music Direct, the packing slip has initials for who pulled the item and another set for who packaged it. Not sure if they are out of the $200 version or if it was a mistake since the item numbers are very similar, but the package is totally different the $200 version is in a carboard box and the $400 version comes in a nice wooden keepsake box.
They're prone to that. I ordered an open box SD with no cartridge from them. They sent a unit with a MasterTracker cartridge mounted.

The VPI Delrin clamp on my old man's HW19 rig did, the Michell Reflex Clamp on my present Scout ?, not so sure, a little, but it does help flatten of course. I hope to try the VPI Heavyweight and Wayne's Audio Outer Ring on a VPI Classic one day, that's my twilight wish rig.

Interesting note, The Michell clamp is not currently available in North America due to loosing their North American distributor and The VPI clamps are out of stock due to production supply issues.
I use the Pro-Ject weight on my VPI Traveler and I think it noticeably improves the sound. I think it’s mostly because the after-market anti-static platter mat I use allows the record to slip when brushing without some form of weight or clamp. I never play records without it. The wooden box is pretty cool, too.

Well I took a chance on this one and sure enough…I was also sent the fancier model for the price of the lower model

C305D1B8-1638-4512-A59A-93B5192CEC06.jpeg

Is there that much difference between the contender & the champion?
Besides the box there is more grams of the HRS proprietary sound dampening polymer.

Per the item description: ”Super HeavyWeight Champion literally drains groove noise away from your stylus, audibly improving clarity and impact. That's correct: Super Heavyweight Champion acts as a noise-dissipation device that eliminates resonance, elevates resolution, and enhances stability – feats that translate into greater dynamics, firmer instrumental foundations, and better definition. Credit its heavier mass compared to its revered sibling, Super HeavyWeight.”

Now is there an audible difference, that I do not know, but if the price is the same?

Whatever you do - don't review this and tell me it improves your sound (ok fine go ahead). I don't need this...Nope....
Haha well….Initial impression is that the bass seems tighter and a little more defined. I have no clue if it’s an improvement over the $199 weight (or other weights) but it seems to be an improvement over no weight.

Haha well….Initial impression is that the bass seems tighter and a little more defined. I have no clue if it’s an improvement over the $199 weight (or other weights) but it seems to be an improvement over no weight.
I use the Hudson hifi weight, which I believe weighs the same. It definitely helps. Not sure if the MOFI weight would help even more or not. Glad you got that deal regardless!

Back