Mixtape Madness

On my third listen now. Really enjoying it. My initial thoughts are...

Never listened to Fela before - track is definitely HOT

Fire on the Bayou - feel like I’m at that outdoor summer cookout in the Big Easy. Real laid back Saturday day drinking vibes

That’s it - a lot for me. Not used to that big band stuff (Is this big band?)

Never listened to King Gizzard before - definitely not what I expected but very interesting. Between this and the Tierra Whack track gives some whimsical nature to the playlist

That jamila woods is beautiful

Never wanted the beginners of Wham City to end. Middle of wham Coty sounded like something that could be the soundtrack for the side scroller claymation shooter game, Platypus.

Peggy Gou - just makes you want to fucking move. Couldn’t help but bounce in my seat a bit

Always love some Quasimoto and some FlyLo. That Curren$y track was real smooth

Nice closeout track

Really solid playlist. I feel like Fire on the Bayou is the highlight for me and kind of the defining some based on your description (I definitely appreciated the write up). Thanks for making this and sharing with us Woob

On my third listen now. Really enjoying it. My initial thoughts are...

Never listened to Fela before - track is definitely HOT

Fire on the Bayou - feel like I’m at that outdoor summer cookout in the Big Easy. Real laid back Saturday day drinking vibes

That’s it - a lot for me. Not used to that big band stuff (Is this big band?)

Never listened to King Gizzard before - definitely not what I expected but very interesting. Between this and the Tierra Whack track gives some whimsical nature to the playlist

That jamila woods is beautiful

Never wanted the beginners of Wham City to end. Middle of wham Coty sounded like something that could be the soundtrack for the side scroller claymation shooter game, Platypus.

Peggy Gou - just makes you want to fucking move. Couldn’t help but bounce in my seat a bit

Always love some Quasimoto and some FlyLo. That Curren$y track was real smooth

Nice closeout track

Really solid playlist. I feel like Fire on the Bayou is the highlight for me and kind of the defining some based on your description (I definitely appreciated the write up). Thanks for making this and sharing with us Woob
If you're looking to go further down this rabbit hole check these out

FELA FELA FELA

At last count I had about 14 FELA records, think I've bought more since then. No other artist comes close to that in my library.

@Woob_woob - I got to the 5th song of the playlist and had to look at who it was because I loved it so much. King Gizzard! I've never listened to them before. Is this indicative of their sound? Because, damn you, you might have made a fan of me!

@Woob_woob - I got to the 5th song of the playlist and had to look at who it was because I loved it so much. King Gizzard! I've never listened to them before. Is this indicative of their sound? Because, damn you, you might have made a fan of me!
Most of their albums are more psych rock, but their newest one (which that song is off of) is a bit more boogie rock like that song. They have about a dozen albums out so they cover a fairly wide amount of ground. Come over to the King Gizzard thread and we will get you set up

At some point in the near future the N&G social handles will get fired up, we won't be using them a huge amount, but I think it would great to be able share our members mixtapes via twitter etc. Will check with each poster first that they are OK with us sharing their playlist. :)

So I continued listening to the playlist on my trek in to work. The Phoenix remix by AC, I had forgotten this song but used to listen to it quite often!

@Woob_woob I really enjoyed this. Fela is always great. Been trying to incorporate more of him when people come over to hang in order to spread the good word. The Meters and NOLA brass bands stir up all sorts of great memories and sensations.

I love where Curren$y and Tierra Whack sit in the mix.

Last year I also found myself listening to a lot more new electronic music for whatever reason - DJ Koze, the Peggy Gou singles, AAL, Shinichi Atobe, etc. So enjoyed those parts.

All that to say, Wham City is the best.

I'm planning on finishing it Sunday if that's alright. It has been a bit of a process/evolution.....kind of ambitious for 15 songs hahaha. I just need to sit down and finish it when I have time this weekend. Then everybody can enjoy it on their monday off (for those that have it!)

I'm planning on finishing it Sunday if that's alright. It has been a bit of a process/evolution.....kind of ambitious for 15 songs hahaha. I just need to sit down and finish it when I have time this weekend. Then everybody can enjoy it on their monday off (for those that have it!)
Yea I didnt mean to rush you, it's not due til Monday. I just figured to keep the thread going I'll sometimes tell the next person they can go early if they are ready. So whenever you're ready.

So my first mix is inspired by the day I had yesterday. A good friend of mine moved to New Orleans a few years ago for work. He came back recently and started a new tradition of having a annual New Orleans style crawfish boil (even got the crawfish shipped up from Nola) full with New Orleans staples playing on the sound system. It was a fairly standard family style back yard affair for most of the day, that slowly got weird as the families with kids left. Started off normal enough with a few friends smoking weed, but then an older hippy friend informed us all that he brought mushrooms for the after party. That's when the night gets hazy, but it ended with a back porch dance party.

This playlist tries to recreate the day by starting hot and slowly cooling down as the day goes on. I used some of the New Orleans artists played,(Meters, Rebirth, Preservation, Curren$y) newer artists that friends and I were hyping all day (King Gizz, Jamila Woods, Tierra Whack) and finally songs that represent the drugs kicking in( Do The Astral Plane, Wham City, Seeing Aliens) and the dance party that kicked off after (Peggy Gou - It Makes You Forget)
Hope you all enjoy

LOVE this mix but I’m totally not surprised!! I remember your mixes from the last mixtape group we had and I always enjoyed them. Thanks for another great one to add to the collection! 😁

Back