Mixtape Madness

Don't worry. I'm sure my mixtape will be full of jarring transitions!!
I've managed to successfully avoid listening to Blossom Dearie until now because I knew if I heard it, I'd end up wanting to buy the album.

Based on that song, I was right lol.

I'm loving everything about this playlist, GNG!!
Sing-yelling along to "Shut Up Kiss Me" is exactly what I needed tonight.
You get me! *MWAH*
😘

Okay, I dropped the ball last week but here is my mix:
I finally relented and have been using Spotify for a short while now. Just listened to this playlist and dug it! It's outside my wheelhouse style-wise for the most part, but I enjoy female vocals and the flow was great. I was only familiar with Liz Phair and Lydia Loveless but everything fit in with those two. Shut Up Kiss Me was really catchy and Do It With A Rockstar was a rocker. Well done!!!

I finally relented and have been using Spotify for a short while now. Just listened to this playlist and dug it! It's outside my wheelhouse style-wise for the most part, but I enjoy female vocals and the flow was great. I was only familiar with Liz Phair and Lydia Loveless but everything fit in with those two. Shut Up Kiss Me was really catchy and Do It With A Rockstar was a rocker. Well done!!!
Thanks! I know you're more punk-leaning, but The Beths and Charly Bliss are great power pop. Thanks for listening!

Thank you! I tend to prefer contrasts to more subtle transitions, but I tried to do a bit of both musically while keeping it dramatic emotionally, hahaha.
Depends on the type of mix I'm going for but I tend to also go for subtlety over jarring changes. The drama was all over the music, like a snapshot of who you are and I dug it. Looking forward to future lists.

When I used to make mixtapes/CDs for my boyfriends, I liked to strike a balance between invitation and warning. Keep in mind that I made these for dudes who had already decided they were cool enough with my particular brand of kook (a mix I made for Mr. Glitter was titled "Die Alone"). And while my actual boyfriend mixes also just had cool songs I liked or wanted to share, this is an exaggerated version of those mixes. All invitation or warning. Sorry, Needles & Grooves community: y'all are my boyfriend now.
I love this mix, GnG!!! Even the song by THAT band. Yeah, you know the one. I'm thawing to them.

And yes, Blossom Dearie is great! I, too, had avoided listening to it because I knew I would like it and don't need another reason to spend $ on vinyl.

I love this mix, GnG!!! Even the song by THAT band. Yeah, you know the one. I'm thawing to them.

And yes, Blossom Dearie is great! I, too, had avoided listening to it because I knew I would like it and don't need another reason to spend $ on vinyl.
That's my favorite Tennis song. It's so biting!

I rejoined VMP for the Blossom Dearie month. Could not resist. Do not regret.

Last edited:

When I used to make mixtapes/CDs for my boyfriends, I liked to strike a balance between invitation and warning. Keep in mind that I made these for dudes who had already decided they were cool enough with my particular brand of kook (a mix I made for Mr. Glitter was titled "Die Alone"). And while my actual boyfriend mixes also just had cool songs I liked or wanted to share, this is an exaggerated version of those mixes. All invitation or warning. Sorry, Needles & Grooves community: y'all are my boyfriend now.
Charly Bliss and The Beths <3

thinking about some ideas for mixes brings me back to several different mixes I made on 8tracks

there's even one from [vinyl club redacted] late night tales we did in 2016

I made one back in 2012 when I got into doo-wop and girl groups that gained some traction on 8tracks, where it got a few thousand listens.

the worst thing about 8tracks is that you can't actually see the tracks until you play them, this is the track list for the above mix

View attachment 13484
View attachment 13485
I loved 8tracks but since they started doing this thing where I couldn't stream playlist b/c they say I have an adblocker even if i turn it off - i've had no way to play stuff on it :\

But I had a trove of playlists on that thing.

Back