Michell Clamp - does it actually help flattening warped records?

Fixxman32

Hi, im considering getting the Michell Clamp - but before buying it:
Does it actually help flattening somewhat warped records?

It does up to a certain extent.

Keep in mind if you order there is a different model for Rega and tables with a shorter spindle.

If you have a really bad warp you can also try and find someone with a Vinyl Flat device. I do not see any euro members listed here but perhaps you could post to see.

The records in question have an upwards bow from the center. Not very serious, but enough to cause the arm to ride up and down..
I bought one now, so ill inform you of my findings 👍
those are the kind of warps I would buy it for. It should hopefully work well!

The records in question have an upwards bow from the center. Not very serious, but enough to cause the arm to ride up and down..
I bought one now, so ill inform you of my findings 👍
I have and use the Michell Clamp, and as @JohnnyCashFan noted it will help to extent but it won't work miracles... that said slight bowls are exactly what it will help remedy best, it will not help with edge warps.

it's also supposed to help it other areas as well, such as tightening up the bass or whatever, but I won't speak on any of that as my ear isn't that finely tuned

Worked at thinner records actually :) But, should i use it with a mat? Or is it safe to use with the delrin platter on my Ultradeck?

Worked at thinner records actually :) But, should i use it with a mat? Or is it safe to use with the delrin platter on my Ultradeck?
I don't use a mat, my turntable has an acrylic platter and I just place the record directly on that and clamp it.

it does come with a small, felt washer that goes between the record and the platter (or mat if you're using one, I'd imagine), but on some of the heavier/thicker pressings I have I can't use the washer because it seems it will create too much space to effectively tighten the clamp to my turntable's spindle

Hi, im considering getting the Michell Clamp - but before buying it:
Does it actually help flattening somewhat warped records?
Turntable Lab sells the something similar as the Michell for $20. Don't own it, but plan to buy it at some point. Also, it is very low profile, so it'll fit under the dustcover when playing, if that's how you roll.

Edit: nevermind, looks to be OOS.

The Michell is also hard to find in North America currently as they lost there old NA distribution (Artech) recently.

Any tips for 180gr records? Maybe a thinner felt mat?
Try it without the mat first. My old man used a similiar VPI Delrin Clamp on a bare VPI Delrin platter for 10 years and it worked like a peach. Mats will play with your VTA and sometimes (depending on material ie cork) add static.

And I recommend using the washer on the Michell. That is how it is designed. As the second video I posted noted it needs a little time to break in/shape to form.

Last edited:
And I recommend using the washer on the Michell. That is how it is designed. As the second video I posted noted it needs a little time to break in/shape to form.
I do too, and this may not be everyone's experience depending on their spindle, but there are a small amount of records I have that I simply cannot use the clamp with the washer, so the choice is clamp with no washer or no clamp at all.

I've also been using the same washer for probably around 5 years, so it's definitely been broken in.

Back