Metal!

are you really only looking for very technical/progressive-type stuff, or are you open to branching out?

My metal knowledge and fandom was mainly focused on stuff from 95-00 while I was in high school and haven't really listened to it in earnest in years. So I have a lot of catching up to do. I was running through a lot of the guess thread stuff and really liked Death but absolutely love Atheist. That is a long, round about way to say yes I am definitely open to branching out. This is just the type of stuff I am really digging currently as I never really got into that side of the genre.

My metal knowledge and fandom was mainly focused on stuff from 95-00 while I was in high school and haven't really listened to it in earnest in years. So I have a lot of catching up to do. I was running through a lot of the guess thread stuff and really liked Death but absolutely love Atheist. That is a long, round about way to say yes I am definitely open to branching out. This is just the type of stuff I am really digging currently as I never really got into that side of the genre.
that's cool. I'm an old (mid-80s) headbanger, but I went through my own "discovery" phase w/ extreme metal and the old stuff right at about 2000.

Personally I would have started with the classic, old-school stuff from say, 1990-1995 as the more technical/progressive stuff then takes on a different context (one of musicianship & growth, mostly). The truly old-school stuff will be far more "melodic" and riff-driven, so if you're into checking out some classics (assuming you didn't know to listen to these already), these are 100% essential IMO.

Entombed - Left Hand Path
Entombed - Clandestine
Grave - Into the Grave
Dismember - Like An Everflowing Stream
Death - Leprosy
Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness
Deicide - s/t
Bolt Thrower - War Master (or Reign in Chaos also works)
Massacre - From Beyond
At the Gates - Slaughter of the Soul

@Goatfish anything you'd add? 'cause I know you wouldn't dare take any away... :cool:

that's cool. I'm an old (mid-80s) headbanger, but I went through my own "discovery" phase w/ extreme metal and the old stuff right at about 2000.

Personally I would have started with the classic, old-school stuff from say, 1990-1995 as the more technical/progressive stuff then takes on a different context (one of musicianship & growth, mostly). The truly old-school stuff will be far more "melodic" and riff-driven, so if you're into checking out some classics (assuming you didn't know to listen to these already), these are 100% essential IMO.

Entombed - Clandestine
Grave - Into the Grave
Death - Leprosy
Deicide - s/t
Massacre - From Beyond

@Goatfish anything you'd add? 'cause I know you wouldn't dare take any away... :cool:

I’d definitely think he can handle some more brutal early stuff, and I’d personally recommend IVth Crusade for Bolt Thrower. Ignoring the risk of being overwhelming, these I’d also classify as essential running the gamut from old school to melodic to brutal to progressive:

In Flames - The Jester Race
Carcass - Heartwork
Cynic - Focus
Pestilence- Spheres
Obituary - Cause of Death
Suffocation - Pierced From Within
Opeth -Still Life
Nile - Amongst the Catacombs...
Gorguts - Obscura

I’d definitely think he can handle some more brutal early stuff, and I’d personally recommend IVth Crusade for Bolt Thrower. Ignoring the risk of being overwhelming, these I’d also classify as essential running the gamut from old school to melodic to brutal to progressive:

Carcass - Heartwork
Cynic - Focus
Pestilence- Spheres
Opeth -Still Life
Gorguts - Obscura
half yeah, half...maybe. can't believe I forgot Obituary ugh. GTFO with Opeth and Gorguts, and if you like Slaughter, you can head to radio-friendly melodeath. also, Cynic sucks.

half yeah, half...maybe. can't believe I forgot Obituary ugh. GTFO with Opeth and Gorguts, and if you like Slaughter, you can head to radio-friendly melodeath. also, Cynic sucks.

Cynic most certainly does not suck - especially from the context of someone digging more progressive DM.

I think Pestilence - Spheres would be a very good "next" step from Atheist. It has the somewhat higher register vocal delivery, and the jazziness and progressiveness is fascinating and woven in with the old school riffing.

Absolutely an early Opeth record is ESSENTIAL and you're being an old by saying otherwise.

Gorguts takes time to "get", but it's extremely rewarding and a fantastic piece of avant-garde metal.

Cynic most certainly does not suck - especially from the context of someone digging more progressive DM.

I think Pestilence - Spheres would be a very good "next" step from Atheist. It has the somewhat higher register vocal delivery, and the jazziness and progressiveness is fascinating and woven in with the old school riffing.

Absolutely an early Opeth record is ESSENTIAL and you're being an old by saying otherwise.

Gorguts takes time to "get", but it's extremely rewarding and a fantastic piece of avant-garde metal.
nick rn

giphy.gif

Entombed - Clandestine
Grave - Into the Grave
Death - Leprosy
Deicide - s/t
Massacre - From Beyond

Carcass - Heartwork
Cynic - Focus
Pestilence- Spheres
Opeth -Still Life
Gorguts - Obscura

Were these in any particular order? If not I am just going to dive in chronologically and get to work.

Were these in any particular order? If not I am just going to dive in chronologically and get to work.

I'm 100% positive @NoToneStraw has a different perspective than me (he would suggest starting with the roots), but I personally would start with Pestilence - Spheres on one end and maybe Entombed - The Left Hand Path on the other and report back with what you did/didn't like. Then we can go from there.

Pestilence has a lot in common with Atheist. Entombed is a different direction but it's utterly essential. I'll defer to NoS since he's the resident PhD.

@AC Slaughter first let me explain my philosophy, which is simple. The only way to understand context, growth, change, is to start at the beginning. Full stop. It'd be like being told to listen to [insert modern stoner/doom band] before Black Sabbath. IMHO, it's far easier to discover what you like/don't like than by haphazardly looking at albums from all over. Sometimes it works to do so, but more often than not you hear latter day In Flames and then skip the early stuff. Whoopsie.

Now with death metal it's a little different; a lot of the really progressive and/or more technical stuff was happening at the same time that the more traditional, old-school stuff was also taking root. Really interesting to be honest. Old school death metal (OSDM) was born from thrash, so it's basically here's a riff. Get in the pit or get out of the way. Whereas the more technical/progressive side of things is surely more complex and nuanced, but at the expense of fucking headbanging (usually).

Ok, that said, I'd go in this order (of the 2 lists):

Death - Leprosy
Pestilence- Spheres
Cynic - Focus
Grave - Into the Grave
Entombed - Clandestine
Massacre - From Beyond
Deicide - s/t
Carcass - Heartwork
Gorguts - Obscura
Opeth -Still Life

@AC Slaughter first let me explain my philosophy, which is simple. The only way to understand context, growth, change, is to start at the beginning. Full stop. It'd be like being told to listen to [insert modern stoner/doom band] before Black Sabbath. IMHO, it's far easier to discover what you like/don't like than by haphazardly looking at albums from all over. Sometimes it works to do so, but more often than not you hear latter day In Flames and then skip the early stuff. Whoopsie.

Now with death metal it's a little different; a lot of the really progressive and/or more technical stuff was happening at the same time that the more traditional, old-school stuff was also taking root. Really interesting to be honest. Old school death metal (OSDM) was born from thrash, so it's basically here's a riff. Get in the pit or get out of the way. Whereas the more technical/progressive side of things is surely more complex and nuanced, but at the expense of fucking headbanging (usually).

Ok, that said, I'd go in this order (of the 2 lists):

Death - Leprosy
Pestilence- Spheres
Cynic - Focus
Grave - Into the Grave
Entombed - Clandestine
Massacre - From Beyond
Deicide - s/t
Carcass - Heartwork
Gorguts - Obscura
Opeth -Still Life

This is perfect thanks! Ill keep you posted. Ironically Leprosy is the only Death album I didn't listen to yesterday.

This is perfect thanks! Ill keep you posted. Ironically Leprosy is the only Death album I didn't listen to yesterday.
you got it

and that is funny, I consider it their 2nd best (to Human, which is bae) but as @Goatfish mentioned, I tend to gravitate toward the crunching riffs and not the technical wizardry

Back