Metal!

Speaking of Metallica. I picked up some earlier presses this week, still in the shrink from Hi-Voltage Records. They absolutely slay. I did A/B last night with the Chris Bellman cuts. The Bellman cuts really do hold their own and if that was all I had, I wouldn't feel like I was missing out.

The 1988 DMM of Kill'em All was a little quiet because they had to fit 60 mins on one LP, but I couldn't believe how much more separation and attack it had.
KEA.jpg

The early Elektra press of Ride The Lightening was probably the most dynamic I have ever heard of this recording. So so so good!
RTL.jpg

Now its got me on the hunt for the 1986 Club Edition pressing of Master of Puppets. If anyone ever comes across this in VG+ or NM please tag me. :)

Last edited:
Two listens in and I would say that 72 Seasons initially falls in between Death Magnetic and Hard Wired. Hard Wired quicker than any of their other albums grew tiresome and felt long. Death Magnetic feels long now, but I still like it better than Hard Wired. Truth be told, EVERYTHING (well I’ve still never listened to either Loadeds or Lulu, should probably fix that) after Master of Puppets starts to slog somewhere around listen 100 or so. So that will be the real test of Seasons, how do I feel about 3, 6, 12 months out?

View attachment 172008
What are all those toms for? All he plays is cymbals, snare and bass drums. Is he afraid the kit will look anemic?

"Creeping Death" needs the floor toms and "And Justice For All" needs the floor and rack toms. TBH he could probably get by with one less floor tom and 2 less crash and one less china cymbals. Take those two songs out of the setlist and he could cut the kit down by a quarter at least.

It's a pretty spartan setup, IMO. I mean, not like he needs some huge monster kit like Carrey or Peart. But like at least one crash and one china are one the left purely for access (ie he wants them there in case he needs to hit one and doesn't have the dexterity/speed to swing back around to the other side of the kit).

FYI, just wanted to post to say that I am super bummed about Gimme Metal going under. I've been introduced to a ton of new music from them over the last five years, Mustaine's show notwithstanding. My wife and I are/were in the "Brigade" and I do the vinyl club too (which may be still ongoing if the Crowbar release is any indication).

The Company label is no more. :(

That's too bad. They were good there for a while, but I noticed since that Motorhead tribute they released they hadn't done much at all since.
Bummer, I really enjoyed their lineup especially Merlin, Youngblood Supercult, and Orphans Of Doom. It was a fun label.

Last edited:
Back