May 2021 - Vinyl Spins Challenge Thread

Yeah, what can I say, I find his trolling very amusing. His persona is basically that of a pre-shithead reveal Ryan Adams though because it’s mostly put upon FJM less likely to Threaten music critics or throw money at a heckler. I loved all that stuff too. Dickhead pretentious white male artists has been its own music category for as long as they been strapping on guitars. FJM just acknowledges it and leans in to it a bit.

I enjoy his shtick and sorry it rubs some folks the wrong way.

Yeah it rubs me up the wrong way and the music is kinda in my wheelhouse but equally I don’t find standout on it own. The persona is such a big part of it that it loses me. It’s a pity because I’ve heard tales on here that would suggest that Josh Tillman is actually a pretty sound in real life.

Yeah it rubs me up the wrong way and the music is kinda in my wheelhouse but equally I don’t find standout on it own. The persona is such a big part of it that it loses me. It’s a pity because I’ve heard tales on here that would suggest that Josh Tillman is actually a pretty sound in real life.
And maybe that’s part of it too. Prior to the whole FJM thing taking off he put out some pretty great stuff under the name J. Tillman and I was initially turned off by the whole change in persona but after finally breaking down and giving him an honest listen I kinda got it and it all started to make sense. Anyways, have terrific birthday. I’ll crack open a nice watery domestic for ya tonight. Cheers!

Yeah, what can I say, I find his trolling very amusing. His persona is basically that of a pre-shithead reveal Ryan Adams though because it’s mostly put upon FJM less likely to Threaten music critics or throw money at a heckler. I loved all that stuff too. Dickhead pretentious white male artists has been its own music category for as long as they been strapping on guitars. FJM just acknowledges it and leans in to it a bit.

I enjoy his shtick and sorry it rubs some folks the wrong way.
Oh I just think it's boring-obnoxious, not fun-obnoxious. I love assholes, I used to run around with pro skaters and musicians--so many dirtbag Ryan Adams types. If I liked more of the music or I thought he had anything interesting to say, I'd probably feel differently. But I know I'm the problem, lots of you dudes I love dig the guy.

Day 11: Maturity

Play an album by an artist who sounds every bit as good, if not better, in their golden years as they did in their youth

A Tribe Called Quest - We Got It From Here…Thank You 4 Your Service
View attachment 98986

I was thinking about a few artists that had long careers or late career revivals and yeah People like Neil Young, Bob Dylan, or Bruce Springsteen would all be passable to some extent, though none other recent output would ever be confused with their very best that isn’t he case for ATCQ’s late triumph. This album was not only better than it had any right to be especially when much of it was put together posthumously following Phife Dawg’s untimely passing. I am not bold enough to rank it higher than Low End Theory or Midnight Marauder but it’s on par with their debut album for sure. I doubt we get another Tribe album and that seems appropriate especially when getting this one turned out to be so fantastic. It’s alway nice to leave while you’re on top.

Excellent choice!

Day 12: Joe's Unhappy Bday
Eric Clapton-461 Ocean Blvd.

@TenderLovingKiller® swiped my FJM plan for the day, so I'll go for the lowest hanging fruit. I feel like there's more posts on this forum about Joe's disdain for Clapton then there is anything posted by me. I'm surprised it hasn't been used yet! Happy Birthday @Joe Mac ! As I've said before, May birthdays are the best.
20210512_171329.jpg

@TenderLovingKiller® swiped my FJM plan for the day, so I'll go for the lowest hanging fruit. I feel like there's more posts on this forum about Joe's disdain for Clapton then there is anything posted by me. I'm surprised it hasn't been used yet! Happy Birthday @Joe Mac ! As I've said before, May birthdays are the best.
View attachment 99135

Great guitarist. Let’s just not get into anything else 😂

You’ve clearly not discovered my mofi curation beef 😂

View attachment 99135

Thus far I've quite enjoyed most of this stuff @Joe Mac would hate, but now I feel personally attacked too!

The thing I like about this forum is that I’m free to like what I like and you too and although we disagree and can crack jokes it’s all good clean fun and we mostly respect each other!
It helps to have some humility, I think I make fun of my own music taste more than anyone else here, but at the same time I refuse to apologize for it 😂

Back