May 2020 Record Challenge Thread (PRIZE RAFFLE AT THE END!)

I'm way behind since it's been so nice here the last week and I've tried to spend as much time as I can on the deck. Today it's too hot for even that!

Day 20: 2020 hype!

Bob Dylan - Another Side of Bob Dylan

Far from my favourite early Dylan records, but it's got its own charm. Really excited for Rough and Rowdy Ways in a few weeks!

IMG_20200525_165158.jpg

Day 25: Artist You Wanna See Live

Otis Redding - Live at the Whisky A Go Go

BC194E44-E07B-4BC4-B818-61DC1CF4F0BD.jpeg

I’m actually not one for live shows (I don’t like crowds & really loud environments) but I have some live albums that I play and think “it would’ve been cool to see that show!”, Otis Redding’s performance at the Whisky a Go Go nightclub being one of those albums. Too bad I was born 50 years too late to see this particular artist.

DAY 26 - DISCOGS RANDOMIZER
MGMT - Congratulations
MGMT are by far one of my favorite bands and one that I feel like are way, way too underrated. They were a victim of the late 2000s indie hype; I feel like Congratulations is a defining statement for the band considering it would have been so easy for them to just re-hash Oracular Spectacular and become just another footnote in the indie-pop boom. But their follow-up alienated and actively opposed those looking for another "Kids" or "Electric Feel" and because of that, it got unfairly dismissed as them trying to be different just for the hell of it. However, in hindsight, this album feels so much stronger than their first and is one of my personal favorites of all time. Some say it lacks direction and is too experimental, but to me, everything sounds deliberate. This isn't just random tunes thrown together haphazardly, it feels very well-crafred and I think that the pop sensibilities of their debut carry over here but in more subtle ways. There are moments on this album that will pop into my head randomly just like a catchy chorus would. I like not knowing what to expect from artists and MGMT keep throwing curveballs and I love that feeling of being kept on your toes.
20200525_234649.jpg

@gaporter I completely agree with you that "Congratulations" is an amazing album and very underrated. I haven't listened to it in a longer time though, so I'm happy you've picked it. 🙂

Day 26 a Discogs randomizer

So I've used the random button in my discogs (I didn't even know such a thing exists and just today's task did reveal it to me) and the record it suggested is

Ofege "Try and love"
IMG_20200526_080638.jpg
This is an amazing album I've discovered via VMP. I've never heard of them before. It originally was recorded in 1973, great rhythms. 👍

Day 26: Discogs Randomizer
The High Llamas / Talahomi Way
Not on Discogs, so I pulled something random I haven’t played in a while. Sean O’Hagen worships at the altar of Brian Wilson. A critic once wrote that he imagined this music is what a millionaire’s doorbell would sound like. He meant it as a compliment. Not to everyone’s taste, but I love it. They need to reissue their album “Hawaii” on vinyl. Please.B8EBD11D-ADB7-4D11-AAAC-5CFA4FC36445.jpeg

Not on Discogs, so I pulled something random I haven’t played in a while. Sean O’Hagen worships at the altar of Brian Wilson. A critic once wrote that he imagined this music is what a millionaire’s doorbell would sound like. He meant it as a compliment. Not to everyone’s taste, but I love it. They need to reissue their album “Hawaii” on vinyl. Please.View attachment 48985

Nice!
I have a compilation on CD that I haven't played in ages, might as well give it a spin.
image.jpg

Not on Discogs, so I pulled something random I haven’t played in a while. Sean O’Hagen worships at the altar of Brian Wilson. A critic once wrote that he imagined this music is what a millionaire’s doorbell would sound like. He meant it as a compliment. Not to everyone’s taste, but I love it. They need to reissue their album “Hawaii” on vinyl. Please.View attachment 48985
I used to have Gideon Gaye on vinyl but it got mislaid in one of my family's moves. I should check out more of their stuff.

Day 26 - Discogs Randomizer

Nas with the National Symphony Orchestra - Illmatic: Live from the Kennedy Center

I absolutely love these types of releases! Illmatic is my favorite hip hop album of all time and lends itself perfectly to be played instrumentally by a full orchestra. There were parts of this album that I had never noticed until hearing them played this way. Hip hop shows are always so much better with a live band, and when you scale that band up to a full orchestra, it scales the awesomeness up as well haha

Day 25: An artist you haven’t seen live but would love to be able to
Tori Amos - Unrepentant Geraldines (2014)

IMG_20200525_115949_267.jpg

And this one, this is never going to happen. Tori will never come to Argentina (not even to South America), and I just can't go up there and catch her on tour. I used to feel angry and sad about that but, oh well.
The tour she did after this álbum was awesome. It was just Tori, piano and organ. There was a section of each concert where she could play random covers (from Joni Mitchell to Conchita Wurst, there was a lot of curious choices).

Day 26: Discogs randomizer

So on attempt 16 Discogs randomness finally chose a bit of vinyl as opposed to CDs or box sets ...and what a great choice it was too.

For years I thought side 4 was side 2 and side 3 was side 4 thanks to a fat box cd that replicated the old dansette album pile up systems ..good to see this 80s repress kept that tradition alive . What an outstanding production this was.

Also the original U.K. cover I kinda like ..as it’s so bad and unflattering, it’s a bit like the dark side of peace and love , hinting unwittingly at Altamont and the Manson Family ...heavy days indeed.

The Jimi Hendrix Experience “Electric Ladyland” 1968

1C774D1E-69C1-4D1C-9889-E6E5B56D21A2.jpeg8D9F4220-FA53-4627-B153-2F1376EC6D17.jpegEAB8CB88-B4FB-4AB2-80B8-78E357F7BCF9.jpeg

Day 26 - Discogs (not so) randomizer
The Pogues - Rum Sodomy & The Lash

Anyone else get frustrated with the randomizer? Seems like if I'm using it to wait til it picks something I really want to play, pressing it over and over again, it picks from the same 50 or so albums. Quite a few times it will pick the same album for me 3 times in 10 or 15 clicks. I'm pretty sure it has never chosen at least 100 albums in my collection. Always weird.

Anyways, happy to play the first result I got this time! Wonderful album.

IMG_20200526_114228.jpg

Back