May 2020 Record Challenge Thread (PRIZE RAFFLE AT THE END!)

Day 26: Discogs randomizer

Elder - Reflections of a Floating World

The first one that came up I had already done this month, but I was very happy that my second shake of the phone gave me this one. I just got their last three albums in the mail last week, and this is the one I haven't spun yet, so it was the ideal random pick for today!

20200526_105701.jpg

I am currently on the road. Just outside of Nashville heading to Michigan. I rolled the randomizer and will listen to the record it came up with when I get home. Not sure if we’re gonna stay the night in Nashville or power through for another 8 hrs.

Either way, I’m excited to spin the record that Discogs chose for me. It would be a good one if I were in Memphis today, as the band seems pretty southern-fried and has an album with a Memphis landmark in the title.

Day 23: An underrated gem

Timber Timbre - Medicinals

I don't know if this album is so much underrated as it is unknown. I guess it was a small run before the band got big, and then was self-re-released again in 2011 after the success of the self-titled and Creep on Creepin' On. Like the debut it's really sparse but you can see the seeds of the Northern Gothic vibes to come. "Oh Messiah" is especially great.

IMG_20200526_162029.jpg

Day 25: An artist you haven’t seen live but would love to be able to

I have been fortunate enough to see quite a few of the bands in my collection. Here is one that I almost bought tickets to see this summer, but at the time they were $$$ and at least a 6 hour drive away in Chicago. Now it's all moot, of course. Hopefully they will roll through Louisville one day!

Green Day - Dookie

15905252635873882319368800407926.jpg

Day 26

Guys!!!

this is amazing!

so I just ordered an actually kind of random record off cogs because it had a FIONA APPLE with PUNCH BROTHERS song on it.

Anyhow, it came today and there were literally random records in the box. How more random can a spin get from cogs....

thus having no idea what’s getting ready to happen, I present to you:
E00D2639-6D86-4689-9EF5-7EA5C8B80C68.jpeg
Stan Freberg Presents The United States of America
(It appears to be a Bob Hope style special on record)

Last edited:
Day 25: Artist you wish you could see live
Prince - Prince

I know I can't see him live, but he is one of the biggest live music regrets I have. I was in Chicago for a weekend probably 5 or 6 years ago for a last minute work trip. I had a free night and decided to look up what live music was going on. Prince turned out to be playing with Janelle Monae opening the night I was meant to fly back to NYC. I went so far as to look up how much it would cost to move my flight and get a hotel room for another night, and on top of buying a ticket, it would have cost me about $400. I told myself I would just go see him the next time he was in NY. And I sadly never had the chance to after that.

IMG_1094.jpg

Day 26: Discogs Randomizer

Plain White T's ‎– Hey There Delilah (Fearless Records, 2019 First Limited 7" Pressing)

The randomizer certainly picked a good one today, as I haven't listened to this since I first got it last year. For their 25th anniversary, Fearless Records pressed 500 copies of a special 7" release on the 25th of each month throughout 2019. 'Hey There Delilah' holds a special memory for me, and when I first saw this I knew I had to get a copy. Its a killer release and one which is particularly rare as its the only reissue since its original release in 2007.

IMG_7431.JPG

Day 26 : Discogs Randomizer
John Coltrane Quartet - Ballads
Love this one but haven't spun it in a bit. Coltrane might be the most represented artist in my library. I hit random three more times after this and 2/3 were Coltrane albums despite having 1300+ LPs and about 700 7" ...

IMG_1095.JPG

Day 26: Roll of the Dice

Today’s challenge forced me to download the Discogs app once again (I’ve had it on my phone multiple times but always end up deleting it because I don’t find it user friendly). At least the app had the decency to randomly pick some soli dinner-cooking music:

74C64DF2-BEA9-461B-8406-56BF20880D74.jpeg

And here are half of the morels I’m cooking tonight:

34130B43-95FB-4EC6-9481-71F796C3A1E5.jpeg

Day 26: Roll of the Dice

Today’s challenge forced me to download the Discogs app once again (I’ve had it on my phone multiple times but always end up deleting it because I don’t find it user friendly). At least the app had the decency to randomly pick some soli dinner-cooking music:

View attachment 49086

And here are half of the morels I’m cooking tonight:

View attachment 49085
If you ever delete it again and need to do this in the future, you can do it in browser if you are in desktop mode.

Back