Magnet Magazine's Top 60 Albums, 1993-2003

Well, created a playlist with what you've shown so far. I'll add the new ones as you do.

You'd have to pay me some money to listen to the Shins album again (I'm so sorry WokeUp, but I did try multiple times). But good goddamn, I forgot how awesome this Shellac album is. I think their stuff is better than Big Black. I'm not ready to go to the mat with that opinion, just a casual statement.

Hey Matt, thanks for that. I will try to create one for Tidal but I am so lazy lately.

I would have have to give the edge to Shellac as well I think. I love Big Black and saw them once. I have seen Shellac twice and both shows are in my top 5 "Ho Lee Shit" epiphany shows. I think what elevates Shellac for me is the 1-2 punch of Weston and Trainer. I think Tod Trainer died 15-20 years ago and his corpse has been reanimated by hoodoo just to beat the shit out of a drumkit. For as abrasive as Albini is though, I can still watch hours of interviews with him.

Hey Matt, thanks for that. I will try to create one for Tidal but I am so lazy lately.

I would have have to give the edge to Shellac as well I think. I love Big Black and saw them once. I have seen Shellac twice and both shows are in my top 5 "Ho Lee Shit" epiphany shows. I think what elevates Shellac for me is the 1-2 punch of Weston and Trainer. I think Tod Trainer died 15-20 years ago and his corpse has been reanimated by hoodoo just to beat the shit out of a drumkit. For as abrasive as Albini is though, I can still watch hours of interviews with him.

Yep, it is the interplay of drums and guitars that were just really hitting the sweet spot for me.

Based on your and @Matt M’s praise for Whiskeytown, it’s on my list for a fresh listen this afternoon.

Well, yeah, it was OK. This sub-genre of country is (still) not my flavor of ice cream so doubt it was any fault of Strangers. I even plowed through some of the bonus tracks on the deluxe reissue. Surprised how much I enjoyed the cover of “Dreams.” Glad I gave it a listen but think I’m good for another 17 years. :sneaky:

Last edited:
Some heavy hitters are popping up in the next 10.

What’s too high or too low? Any controversial picks—what doesn’t belong on the list? What do you love? (There are a couple here I really love.)

How about that snappy Magnet writing?

31CFACAA-A2E6-4A31-B7D0-E4CDCEF6E157.jpeg

Last edited:
Some heavy hitters are starting to pop up in the next 10.

What’s too high or too low? Any controversial picks—what doesn’t belong on the list? What do you love? (There are a couple here I really love.)

How ‘bout that snappy Magnet writing?

View attachment 46565
Whigs and Sugar (well, really Copper Blue) are two all time faves for me.

Updated the playlist too -

Last edited:
Bright Eyes is probably too high. I mean, I listened to that album obsessively when it first released, but I had just assumed it was some older dude who's been through some shit. When I found out the artist was the same age as me something just struck me as juvenile about the feelings portrayed in the album. I don't know why it changed for me like it did, but so it is. Maybe there's some angry teens out there who need to hear it for the first time, but as far as greatest of the decade? Not even top 200.

It's an important album in his catalogue and important for 18-yr-old me, but it's not really that great of an album.

View attachment 46565
Can't say anything in this 10 does much for me. The Beta Band album is cool, if a little overrated. PJ Harvey is classic. The rest are fine, I guess?

The three EPs are amazing! As is PJ. If that’s the only PJ album in the countdown then far too low. If, like me, they have others higher up the list then I can accept it.

Listened to that Air album last night, really dug it. Might give that some more time. And Godspeed always puts out some great stuff, but you have to be in the mood.

View attachment 46565

I think that Dandy Warhols is a bit high in retrospect. But had we been in 2003, I can see why it is there. It just doesn't have staying power to me. Sugar is not high enough. And very cool to see Unwound in here!

My biggest complaint about this list so far is that it definitely skews towards white dudes. Where are all the amazing ladies???

Still love Gentlemen, its a great record. I love a lot of the songs on Beta Band's 3eps, its just too long since it was not meant to be a single album. Never really gave Unwound as much attention they deserve. Also nice to see Polvo in the top 40, but that is too high for this album.

The three EPs are amazing! As is PJ. If that’s the only PJ album in the countdown then far too low. If, like me, they have others higher up the list then I can accept it.

No repeat artists are on the list.

I think that Dandy Warhols is a bit high in retrospect. But had we been in 2003, I can see why it is there. It just doesn't have staying power to me. Sugar is not high enough. And very cool to see Unwound in here!

My biggest complaint about this list so far is that it definitely skews towards white dudes. Where are all the amazing ladies???

I was wondering if anyone would chime in about the Dandys being dated.

It was very much an album of its time, and the hits have been played to death by the advertising industry, but I’ll admit to still loving this album today.

And I won’t call it a guilty pleasure!

Back