Magnet Magazine's Top 60 Albums, 1993-2003

Clearly I need to add at least Extra Width and Orange to the collection. Any pressings worth picking up? A quick Discogs search shows a lot of mixed feedback. Early- to mid-90s pressings are a crapshoot as the industry pivoted to CD.
I have an original 90s pressing of Extra Width. Not audiophile by a long shop but pretty decent. I still have an original cd of Orange in a box somewhere, but picked up a repress on Shove which is not great. That said, it is a pretty lo-fi recording so put it on, turn it up and rawk out with the Blues Explosion!!!

This is a mixed 10 for me. A few that I really, really love but many aren’t my flavor of ice cream. A surprising amount of alt-country.

The A+ Classics: I’m with @wmeugene on Pulp - Different Class, a Britpop monster that should be higher on this list. Love that album. I love UO - Saturation! Very deserving spot on this list. Haven’t listened to that in a long time. Need to rectify. Jawbox is deserving as well.

Most of the others wouldn’t make my top 50, especially Whiskeytown, Pernice Brothers, and Girls Against Boys.

Interesting that only 3 of the bottom 15 are from post 2000. I wonder how heavy the top 20 will be with 2000+ releases. Definitely surprised at Pernice Bros and GvsB being in the list. Wonder if bands could have more than one title in the list?

Interesting that only 3 of the bottom 15 are from post 2000. I wonder how heavy the top 20 will be with 2000+ releases. Definitely surprised at Pernice Bros and GvsB being in the list. Wonder if bands could have more than one title in the list?

The article doesn’t explicitly state it as a rule but I can confirm that there are no repeat artists on the list.

And it is very ‘90s-heavy. Will be interesting to apply a 2020 lens to the list once it’s fully revealed to see if the lack of 2000s titles was legit or an artifact of not enough appreciation time.

This is a mixed 10 for me. A few that I really, really love but many aren’t my flavor of ice cream. A surprising amount of alt-country.

The A+ Classics: I’m with @wmeugene on Pulp - Different Class, a Britpop monster that should be higher on this list. Love that album. I love UO - Saturation! Very deserving spot on this list. Haven’t listened to that in a long time. Need to rectify. Jawbox is deserving as well.

Most of the others wouldn’t make my top 50, especially Whiskeytown, Pernice Brothers, and Girls Against Boys.
That Whiskeytown is a big one in the alt-country push, I can see it being on there. I love it. Not sure that's the best Pernice Brothers album, but they were always solid.

And it is very ‘90s-heavy. Will be interesting to apply a 2020 lens to the list once it’s fully revealed to see if the lack of 2000s titles was legit or an artifact of not enough appreciation time.
Since 90's indie is totally my wheel-house, I definitely approve that :cool:
That Whiskeytown is a big one in the alt-country push, I can see it being on there. I love it. Not sure that's the best Pernice Brothers album, but they were always solid.
Like most lists like this, I think some of the selections will be based around what started a musical trend.

Like most lists like this, I think some of the selections will be based around what started a musical trend.

Some, yes, but not as much as you think if the accompanying blurbs are any indication. My sense is there aren’t many rules for the list — it’s quirky/unexpected enough to be interesting, if not by the selections the order too.

Anyone have love for that Helium album?

Last edited:
Some, yes, but not as much as you think if the accompanying blurbs are any indication. My sense is there aren’t many rules for the list — it’s quirky/unexpected enough to be interesting, if not by the selections but the order too.

Anyone have any love for that Helium album?
YES! I love Helium and am quite happy to see it on the list.

Mary is a guitar goddess.

Love The Meadowlands by The Wrens. So sad that is such a hard one to get on vinyl.

Pulp's Different Class is perhaps the best Britpop album, so I think #51 is low.

Idlewild 😍😍😍

100 Broken Windows and, even more so, the one that came before, Hope is Important were huge favourites of mine around the turn of the millennium. They were a wonderful racket live too around that time!

You know, I gave The Meadowlands and 100 Broken Windows fresh listens this afternoon while I was working. I stand corrected, both are A+ — great stuff. Appreciate the (indirect) nudges.

dig all that ten, with helium probably bottom of the rank:

pulp
whiskeytown
pernice brothers
idlewild
jawbox
girls against boys
wrens
urge overkill
stereolab
helium

Based on your and @Matt M’s praise for Whiskeytown, it’s on my list for a fresh listen this afternoon.

Sadly I don't think that album has aged well. Last time I listened to it I found it a bit hokey, but that may have been the Ryan Adams is a total asshole effect. I did listen to Pneumonia last summer still liked it.

Sadly I don't think that album has aged well. Last time I listened to it I found it a bit hokey, but that may have been the Ryan Adams is a total asshole effect. I did listen to Pneumonia last summer still liked it.

I am totally not a Ryan Adams fan but I’ll listen to this one with an open mind.

Back