Look & Feel

Here is a running list of things to do that are a top priority.

• Notification font color
  • Current page number on Dark Theme.
  • Color arrow on light theme pointing to user profile block
  • Text highlight color for editor on Light Theme

Still collecting all feedback and open to any changes we all agree on.

Lol, I was just heading here to post my own quick mockup:

I basically did the same as @zombie.modernist with the logo and top banner, plus I got rid of a good deal of the orange in the main toolbar.

View attachment 1254

Also, I think the forum needs to define 1 or 2 fonts to give it a distinctive look, because it looks to me like the one we have now is the standard one from the default template.
Again, I'm not trying to be an a-hole, I'm just voicing my opinion and offering my help in case the community and staff wants it :) I just want our new home to look sexy AF

IMO this feels much better. The only change I would make is the white on yellow of “new posts” to black, otherwise feels like a much more clear layout. Here the accent color is used only for a functional purpose ie navigability. Are you a UX/UI designer?

EVERYTHING LOOKS SO GOOOOOOOOOD! Also mad props too whoever did the logo!

One thing I have noticed right away is when highlighting text for the dark mode that the highlight saturation/color is way too high. It's pretty much completely black.

hi this skin is nice, but the white font on orange bubble for notifications is unreadable (sort of like on "preview" when you're writing a post, but less characters makes it really hard).
I second this. For my eyes, it's even worse. I can't even tell that there is text in that bubble. If I look carefully, I see a white smudge. I also see a similar effect in the preview button in this editor.

As a possibly related issue, I also see orange text on white when I mouse over various elements like "Next" buttons and member names in posts. I guess that's not as bad because I can at least read them before mousing over them.

These are all for the light theme. When I tried the dark theme, I couldn't read the posts; the text looked like a gray smear in the shape of the paragraphs.

Last edited:
In the dark theme it is very difficult for me to distinguish threads that are read or not. They are exactly the same color and weight with the unread having just a subtle bold applied. Before it was immediately clear and now I essentially cannot tell at all. Otherwise, with a few tweaks such as separating link colors I’m pretty ok with this general direction.

IMO this feels much better. The only change I would make is the white on yellow of “new posts” to black, otherwise feels like a much more clear layout. Here the accent color is used only for a functional purpose ie navigability. Are you a UX/UI designer?
Lol no, I'm an architect. We architects like to think we can do the job of graphic designers, but in reality we pretty much suck at it.

Bottom of screen, click on Needles & Grooves Light for options.

View attachment 1258
Thanks boss - agree with others, dark is good under certain circumstances (ie trying to find a good record deal while your wife sleeps next to you) but light theme should be standard. Ideally dial down the orange accents too but I am sympathetic, sometimes wrangling the last 5% of changes can take 50% of your time.

Take your time Admins - you've done an amazing job in 4 days, YES FOUR DAYS!! And don't be afraid to make some executive decisions - sometimes responding to all feedback will leave you with the car that Homer Simpson built...

Thanks boss - agree with others, dark is good under certain circumstances (ie trying to find a good record deal while your wife sleeps next to you) but light theme should be standard. Ideally dial down the orange accents too but I am sympathetic, sometimes wrangling the last 5% of changes can take 50% of your time.

Take your time Admins - you've done an amazing job in 4 days, YES FOUR DAYS!! And don't be afraid to make some executive decisions - sometimes responding to all feedback will leave you with the car that Homer Simpson built...

View attachment 1260
What this site needs is more cup holders.

Lol no, I'm an architect. We architects like to think we can do the job of graphic designers, but in reality we pretty much suck at it.

Haha, far too familiar with that! You’re one of the good ones, had me fooled. One of my coworkers (fellow designer) is a former architect. The skills translate pretty well but no one would want me drafting plans for a building.

And now, a break from the whining. I love the look. Even the orange/yellow/orangish yellow looks good to me. As @AngryVal said earlier, this is amazing when we remember this happened after 4 days. And not just 4 days since the release, but 4 days since we discovered we needed it.
Totally. A big thank you to all the people involved. If this community was the best part of VMP, you're the best part of this community.

I hadn't looked around enough and seen this thread. My thoughts - I really like the new logo. Kudos on that, @Alexander.

As for the yellow/orange debate, I'm definitely getting a harvest gold sense from the drop-down menus at the top, but full-on yellow for the Post reply and Preview buttons. I'm never going to like much of anything that uses a yellow or orange theme, and this is no different. It's primarily a personal aesthetic as a yellow shirt will instantly make me look jaundiced. In general, just don't like those colors. It also, unfortunately, made me instantly think of those ridiculous anoraks.

Back