The N&G Listening Club V1 - Archive only

It's hard to pick one album and I've batted a number of ideas around. None are necessarily better than any other, but they're all very different. At this moment, I feel as if the one I've chosen is as good as any. Hopefully, it serves its purpose.

The album that I've selected in HOOTEROLL?, a 1971 collaboration between keyboardist, Howard Wales and Jerry Garcia.

klairwein5.jpg

The year prior to this release, Wales appeared on the Grateful Dead tracks "Candyman," "Brokedown Palace," and "Truckin'" on their American Beauty LP. 1970 also brought The Music Of El Topo, a funky reimagining of Alejandro Jodorowsky compositions from his film that launched the midnight movie phenomenon. That album was released by the project Shades Of Joy, which featured both Wales and a horn section that included Martin Fierro (Quicksilver Messenger Service), who would go on to lend his sax and flute to the HOOTEROLL? recordings, and later play alongside Garcia in the group Legion Of Mary.

The collaborations between Wales and Garcia began in 1970 during free-form improv nights at the historic San Francisco jazz club Keystone Korner, Joining them both during those session and on HOOTEROLL? was bassist, John Kahn, who would go on to become Jerry‘s primary musical cohort outside of the Dead. Kahn was involved in just about every solo venture that the legendary guitarist took, including projects like the bluegrass supergroup Old & In the Way and Legion of Mary; Garcia‘s collaboration with organist Merl Saunders. Khan is also widely blamed for Jerry's issues with heroin, himself overdosing on junk less than a year after Garcia passed away from a fatal heart attack in a rehabilitation center. So... for multiple reasons, this time period was a major turning point in Jerry's life, as it pertained to directions that his life would take independent of his work within the Grateful Dead.

I chose HOOTEROLL? for a couple of reasons, but a major factor is that it's so often overlooked. This isn't surprising, considering that Jerry's first solo effort, Garcia, came out the very same year and overshadowed it with a powerhouse of future Dead favorites like "Sugaree," "Deal," "Birdsong," "The Wheel," and "To Lay Me Down," among others. As for HOOTEROLL?, it's a completely different animal. I posted a little background info, but, beyond that, I'd prefer to err on the side of saying less when it comes to the actual sound and content on this one. In fact, I'd prefer it if there was a way for everyone to simply hear this album for the first time without ever knowing that Garcia's name was even attached to it. I've played this record for Dead fans who immediately respond to it, yet are genuinely surprised when I reveal who is behind it. They don't even recognize his guitar work, until made aware of it. Meanwhile, I expect those who have no experience with the Dead, at all, and especially those who may believe that they dislike Jerry's work, to be fairly surprised by this project. It's a funky one, ya'lls, but there's also variety from one song to the next. If you do take the opportunity to check this out, then you'll see what I'm referring to.

Availability / Variations

I've checked and this should be an easy enough one to locate. I'm sure that they have it on YouTube and I know that it's on Spotify, if nothing else. Depending on what source you use for this, you may get different results. The original album had only 7 songs on it, while the 1987 reissue removed the song "A Trip To What Next," replacing it with a variation titled "Evening In Marin" at the end, tacked on the song "Morning In Marin" to the beginning, and completely mixed up the entire sequencing. The Spotify version, essentially, seems to be the 2010 reissue titled HOOTEROLL? + 2, and has 11 tracks on it, arbitrarily inserting "A Trip To What Next" back into the middle of the deck and adding on 2 live songs with vocals ("She Once Lived Here" and "Sweet Cocaine"), hence the "+2" bit in the title. The only difference seems to be that Spotify has "Sweet Cocaine" renamed as "Blues Encore." Although the order of the songs is completely flipped inside out, I still like this one and how it pushes "Da Birg Song" (the one song that Jerry co-wrote) up toward the beginning, since it closed out the original version, leaving it more likely to be ignored if you didn't make it that far. Plus, there is more music on it, which is an obvious bonus. That being said, bonuses work for me, since I'm already a fan. I was introduced to it as the original 7 track album that starts with "Southside Strut" and has Howard Wales name listed first on the cover. I always saw this as more of a Howard Wales album -- he wrote all of the songs, independently, aside from 2 -- but the the more recent releases move Jerry's name before his and frontload it with songs that may highlight his sound more, in an obvious attempt to capitalize off of his more prominent name. If you really care, maybe the OG is the way to go, because it's more focused and concise presentation of their original vision; then, you can just go back and listen to "Morning In Marin" as a bonus. But... no matter which version you find, I'm hoping it will be just as effective.

Let me know what you think

OH! And the cover art is by Mati Klarwein, who supplied iconic artwork for such albums as Bitches Brew, Live Evil, Santana's Abraxas, and This Is Madness by The Last Poets.

EDIT:
I updated and adjusted the section now headed with "Availability / Variations," adding a little more information, since I do believe that the album plays slightly different depending on which version you come across.

Last edited:
I’m firmly in the camp of not caring for Garcia while The Dead bore me to tears. I will go in with open mind and ears, though. As I have for decades hoping I could one day hear what others were hearing. My final straw was seeing The Dead live at Bonnaroo on psychedelics and still being completely bored (prior to that Rat Dog at the Exit/In while chatting with Victor Wooten). Fortunately, the nearby Primus show was raucous fun in the mud.

So I heard Dr. John the other day a couple of times and it was not for me. I thought it was going to be jazz, which I don't care at all, but it was something different and unexpected and that was good.
I understood he was experimentating with sounds and stuff (I don't know if the stereo mix was his decision or if it's because of Spotify). But it got to a point where here "crazy thing" ended up being the same than the previous one, and the shock and the surprise was gone. I had the same feeling with Bish Bosch by Scott Walker. At least Dr. John's songs were short.
So it was a 4/10 for me.

And now let's see this brand new selection...

I loved the DR John album. I fully expected it to be a typical 60s psych rock kind of deal (even if that is as broad a category as there is) but even during my casual first listen I was caught by the feeling that it was from a time and place I couldn’t quite place . That place was obviously the bayou though I didn’t quite make the connection till reading the forum.

I don’t know if there’s a standout track for me as each track is it’s own flavour of that theme. Will definitely listen to again 👍

Excellent choice at @Dead C !
However it will be very divisive amongst the listeners for sure.
Will be interesting to see how people react.

Passed up on an original that popped up in my local last year because the jacket was fucked although the records were minty. Still sort of regret that, they listed it at $34.99.

Last edited:
Hmm OK, not a fan tbh. When it got real funky in songs like South Side Strut it was very good and I was getting my (needles &) grooves on, but too often in the album it seemed to descend into aimless prog noodling. Clearly everyone involved had some serious musical chops and they were playing out of their skins but the album mostly left me feeling cold. Thanks for recommendation though! See you all next week!

I have no clue about this album, and my Dead knowledge is minimal at best (something that I always wanted to rectify, but somehow never got to it). So I might just be your intended audience! Can't wait to give this a listen, might get to actually do it in a proper Grateful Dead headspace later in the week.

FWIW, love the artwork so far. Is that Greek? Can anyone read it?

Listening to this Dr. John one last time before I switch gears into Hooteroll?. I really enjoyed this Dr. John album. I've seen the album artwork many times, but have never actually given it a chance..boo on me. This is the right kind of weird, and I can definitely see the other comparisons to Tom Waits. This is also the first album thus far that I really would like to own on vinyl. Great pick.. thank you!

Now admittedly, Hooteroll? is one Garcia recording that I'm really not familiar with at all. I loved the Side Trips Vol. 1 with Wales & Garcia.. very jazzy and funky. I'm excited to dive into this one.

Yeah, have it another listen at the table and was irked by the trademark noodling for sake of noodling that I dislike Garcia for. I did get my wife into this and asked her if she knew who the guitarist was and she guessed correctly right off the bat.

I'm not surprised. Looking more into what they did with the album for the spotify and the later reissues, it's clear that they were doing the opposite of what the original album intended, in some ways. While Jerry's guitar is more evident on different parts of the album, the first pressing starts with "Southside Strut" and ends with the only song Jerry co-wrote with Wales: "Da Birg Song." That's what I usually play for people, because that's the LP that I have. When they reissued it in 1987, they pushed Jerry's song toward the front and, when they added to two live songs with vocals on the 2010 version, they even wound up moving Garcia's name before Wales. I have a feeling that, since this are mostly Wales compositions they wanted to release the album as such and Jerry's name helped them both. It made more people pay attention to HOOTEROLL? and it showed Garcia in a different light. Later on, the labels just wanted to capitalize on Jerry's name and tried to redirect the project to highlight him more.

The 7 track original version is probably the one to go with, to be honest. It's shorter and presents what they actually wanted to release more accurately. Putting those live tracks at the end doesn't really fit and it drags things out to an extent.

Last edited:
I went ahead and made a playlist on Spotify where I replicated the track list for the original LP from the version on there. I don't know how much it will paint my judgement as a whole, but I usually prefer to hear an album in the order that was originally intended.

I have absolutely no idea what to expect from this so I'm just going to go in blind and hope for the best 🤞

To be clear I listened to a vinyl rip of the 1970 Douglas 5 pressing.

Well... that's the way to do it. "Southside Strut" still doesn't really sound like typical Jerry -- it actually sounds more like John Scofield jazz guitar or something, to me. Either way, thanks for checking it out.

I still don't get the idea that he's "noodling for the sake of noodling," at all, especially across the first few tracks, but... that's not a conversation I see a whole lot of promise in pursuing.

Last edited:
Well... that's the way to do it. "Southside Strut" still doesn't really sound like typical Jerry -- it actually sounds more like John Scofield jazz guitar or something. Either way, thanks for checking it out.

I still don't get the idea that he's "noodling for the sake of noodling," at all, especially across the first few tracks, but... that's not a conversation I see a whole lot of promise in pursuing.

South Side Strut was a banger.

The jacket has seen better days, but the records plays just fine.

Even though I store this album after my Grateful Dead with all the other solo albums from that band, I've never compared it to that band...or even Jerry's solo output. The sound is so different, that it's an apples and oranges comparison.

Being more of a Howard Wales album than Garcia, this is more on the side of Jazz Fusion - which can turn people off as much as the Grateful Dead can, but I've always liked it.

Howard Wales & Jerry Garcia ‎– Hooteroll?
Douglas ‎– 5, 1971

Pressed at Columbia, Santa Maria

MjHIc7.jpg

KQmduq.jpg

Last edited:
Back