The N&G Listening Club V1 - Archive only

On the other hand, Disney, Halloween, rated G, etc. comes to mind, being jaded and weathered as I am.
I actually had two Disney related images in my mind as I listened.

The first was somewhat obvious. Dr. Facilier from Princess and the Frog. The whole movie takes place in New Orleans and the surrounding bayous. When it’s not being a typical Disney princess romance, it explores the world of voodoo magic and gets pretty dark for a G-rated Disney film. I don’t think Dr. Facilier is officially based on Dr John, but it’s obvious they drew a lot of inspiration from him.
Dr-Facilier-and-his-Friends-On-the-Other-Side-dr-facilier-38425160-415-673.jpg

The second was the haunted forest scene from Snow White and the Seven Dwarves. This is something that legitimately terrified me as a child. The album drips with primal, animalistic sounds and that’s what I hear when I think about that scene.

I’d like to add my thoughts after a few more listens but on the Speakers Corner website it says in stock but then only has an add to wishlist option. Am I unable to grab it from them.

I do want to say this album is awesome. Thank you so much. Would love to do a proper write up when I’ve more time.

I’d like to add my thoughts after a few more listens but on the Speakers Corner website it says in stock but then only has an add to wishlist option. Am I unable to grab it from them.

I do want to say this album is awesome. Thank you so much. Would love to do a proper write up when I’ve more time.

I bought my copy from Amazon. It said it is an import. Maybe Speaker's Corner? Fingers crossed.

I want to say that I never joined the VMP forum (I just read it pretty religiously for about a year). For the first 10 months I was just lurking the guess thread trying to figure out the next record I was going to get. Little did I know that there was so much more to the entire community!
A couple months back I discovered this thread and was starting at the middle and listening to the record of the week a couple times and then reading through everyone's comments about the albums. Made it about half way through and then the decimation happened. I'm bummed that I won't be able to read everyone's comments on the rest of those albums but I'm happy that this community is here going forward and that I can use threads like this to broaden my musical taste.
Thanks guys!

I want to say that I never joined the VMP forum (I just read it pretty religiously for about a year). For the first 10 months I was just lurking the guess thread trying to figure out the next record I was going to get. Little did I know that there was so much more to the entire community!
A couple months back I discovered this thread and was starting at the middle and listening to the record of the week a couple times and then reading through everyone's comments about the albums. Made it about half way through and then the decimation happened. I'm bummed that I won't be able to read everyone's comments on the rest of those albums but I'm happy that this community is here going forward and that I can use threads like this to broaden my musical taste.
Thanks guys!

Welcome to Needles & Grooves... and this thread... sign up to pick an album if you're willing to do it

I'm so happy to see so many positive reactions to this! Dr. John is amazing, and his discography is so vast and diverse, I'm sure there's something in there for everyone. If you want more of this, check out his next three albums, Babylon, Remedies & The Sun, the Moon and the Herbs. They're in the same vein and persona of Dr. John the Night Tripper. After that, he goes into a more accessible R&B/Funky groove with The Meters as a backing band, when he made some of his most well known albums (Gumbo, In The Right Place, Desitively Bonnaroo). After that, he's all over the place in terms of style, but the quality is still fine -- there's lots to explore there!

It was a pleasure to "host" the first week of the Listening Club and to read your thoughts, can't wait to see what comes next.

I'm so happy to see so many positive reactions to this! Dr. John is amazing, and his discography is so vast and diverse, I'm sure there's something in there for everyone. If you want more of this, check out his next three albums, Babylon, Remedies & The Sun, the Moon and the Herbs. They're in the same vein and persona of Dr. John the Night Tripper. After that, he goes into a more accessible R&B/Funky groove with The Meters as a backing band, when he made some of his most well known albums (Gumbo, In The Right Place, Desitively Bonnaroo). After that, he's all over the place in terms of style, but the quality is still fine -- there's lots to explore there!

It was a pleasure to "host" the first week of the Listening Club and to read your thoughts, can't wait to see what comes next.
Thanks for the pick. It introduced me to something new that I liked and bought.

Last edited:
Back