Life goes on, man! The July 2023 Challenge!

16 - “You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it, believe me.”
Play something that was/is hard to find

This is the 12x24 inch holographic panoramic sleeve version.

Gruff Rhys - Babelsberg

View attachment 177869
Is that Trump and Jesus?

14. "Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes, well, he eats you."
Play something that was a big swing, successful or not

Geoff Berner – Victory Party
20230716_085437.jpg

Until this, every one of Berner's prior releases (3 trio albums, 1 solo album, and 1 solo EP) had all been recorded live in-studio, capturing, to some degree, the mercurial nature of his live performance. For album number five, Geoff decided to go for something a bit different by teaming up with producer, hip hop artist, and fellow klezmer and Yiddish enthusiast Josh "SoCalled" Dolgin to record his first "studio" album with overdubs, beats n' effects, and other studio wizardry previously unheard on any Geoff Berner release. The results were nothing short of fantastic!

15. ”Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"
Play something that may be not that popular, but you like it anyway

Aitis Band – Aitis Band III
20230716_093732.jpg

630 followers on Stupify and their bio begins with, "Often described as bizarre and unlistenable. . ."
I haven't gone back and listened to their first two albums, but I've listened to this one a lot.

14. "Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes, well, he eats you."
Play something that was a big swing, successful or not

Sufjan Stevens - The Age of Adz

After Michigan and Illinois, this sprawling electronic-based album was a big swing (and a successful one, in my book). The closing track being 25 minutes long and causing the vinyl to have it spread over two sides is why I've stuck to the digital (I think it was my first ever Bandcamp purchase when it came out).

Screenshot_20230716_115003_Poweramp.jpg

16. Play something that was/is hard to find

Denim - Back In Denim

IMG_6010.jpeg

Very thankful that they have repressed the Felt albums, but the Denim album represses are probably on the back burner. I live in a smaller town that has a few really great record stores. There is someone (maybe plural) in this town who has an amazing collection that continues to sell their old records (all in great shape) to the local shops. I’m constantly amazed by what I find in the bins here; thought I was dreaming when I found this one especially.

Day 16: “You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it, believe me.”

The Frightnrs - More to Say Versions

IMG_6803.jpeg

The dub version of their debut album, pressed once around RSDBF 2017 and never again. It’s pretty hard to find now, let alone for a decent price, but I found this for around $30 at one of my locals earlier this year!

15. ”Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"
Play something that may be not that popular, but you like it anyway

Franz Ferdinand "Always Ascending" (2018 Domino)
People don't like the later Franz Ferdinand albums as much as their first, but their 5th and most recent record from 2018 was both a reinvention after losing a band member and a return to form in terms of their signature dance-punk/modern new-wave songcrafting. While they probably will never return to the heights of their first release, it's a solid Franz Ferdinand album its own right as far as I'm concerned.

IMG_0252.JPG

16. “You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it, believe me.”

Blur "The Ballad Of Darren" (2023 Parlophone)
Considering I needed to take the Delorian to next Friday to get this, I'll consider it hard to find as of today.

IMG_0251.JPG

16. “You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it, believe me.”

Blur "The Ballad Of Darren" (2023 Parlophone)
Considering I needed to take the Delorian to next Friday to get this, I'll consider it hard to find as of today.

View attachment 177907
Initial thoughts?
I want a review!

Initial thoughts?
I want a review!

From the Fresh Grabs thread... (quick version of what I wrote: decent pressing and I like the album!).

EDIT: Sounds more britpop/indie than pretty much anything they did since 13, with guitars back in prominence, but still sounds fresh. It's solid IMO.

Last edited:
Back