Life goes on, man! The July 2023 Challenge!

16. “You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it, believe me.”
Play something that was/is hard to find

Dead Can Dance – Into The Labyrinth
20230717_132903.jpg

It seems this has since gotten a repress, but when I first began looking it was OOP and any copies I found online were priced higher than I wanted to spend. It was easier to find the MOFI version than this one at the time and that was priced even higher than I wanted to spend. I kept it on the backburner for a year or two then lo and behold when I was out record shopping with @Hollywood and @Turbo in Ottawa last year I was taking my purchases to the counter to pay and noticed a blowout bin, which I'm always a sucker for, and happened to find this copy in there for about half price!

16. “You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it, believe me.”

Found at a yard sale for 50¢ way back before folks decided vinyl was cool and drove values to ridiculously overinflated levels. Now 1400+ want it on Discogs.

The Doors - S/T Mono White Label Promo

20201209_013500.jpg20201209_013527.jpg

17. “I had a rough night and I hate the f*****g Eagles, man.”
Jam out to some classic rock

King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King

IMG_6011.jpeg

This might sound nuts, but I have not actually ever listened to (let alone owned) this entire album until right now (thanks for the PIF, @Rip_City!). I’m glad I finally stopped being so stubborn. The cover is still so dumb to me

De La Soul - Buhloone Mindstate

For forever, you couldn't even stream their Tommy Boy albums, let alone buy them new. I was happy to upgrade the mp3s they gave away years ago for a Bandcamp download of this one recently.

Screenshot_20230718_081113_Poweramp.jpg

18. "This is a very complicated case, Maude. You know, a lotta ins, a lotta outs, lotta what-have-yous.”
Play something complex musically or lyrically

I can't fathom these guys understanding of musical theory and continuously applying it in challenging & different ways. This albums 7 songs are based on the 7 greek modes, and goes all out on time changes too.

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard ~ Ice, Death, Planets, Lungs, Mushrooms, and Lava

IMG_1525.jpeg

This became hard to find. I bought it from the VMP store way back for probably 23 bucks. But man I played the shit out of the CD when it came out. I'd use City of Motors as the 'check these guys out' song.

IMG_4632.JPG

18. “This is a very complicated case, Maude. You know, a lotta ins, a lotta outs, lotta what-have-yous.”
Play something complex musically or lyrically

Sweet Trip - velocity : design : comfort.
20230719_011345.jpg

Shoegaze, glitch pop, dream pop, and IDM all working in tandem on this clairvoyant 2003 epic. Twenty years ago!

19. Maude Lebowski: “Do you like sex, Mr. Lebowski?”
The Dude: “‘Scuse me?”
Maude Lebowski: “Sex. The physical act of love. Coitus. Do you like it?”
The Dude: “I was talking about my rug.”
Maude Lebowski: “You’re not interested in sex?”
The Dude: “You mean coitus?”
Play something sexy

Portishead - Dummy

20230719_023248.jpg

Late night. A dimly lit room. A classy-dressed woman sitting on a bed casually smoking a cigarette. Picturing all of this as I'm listening now.

19. Maude Lebowski: “Do you like sex, Mr. Lebowski?”
The Dude: “‘Scuse me?”
Maude Lebowski: “Sex. The physical act of love. Coitus. Do you like it?”
The Dude: “I was talking about my rug.”
Maude Lebowski: “You’re not interested in sex?”
The Dude: “You mean coitus?”
Play something sexy

Sade ~ The Best of Sade

IMG_1529.jpeg

Back