Let's See What Makes Your Vinyl Spin!

You got it, all Bottlehead stuff. Eros phono pre, BeePre, and Kaiju amp. Can’t say enough great things about the company, build experience, support, and of course the sound.
How difficult is it to build? Do you need to be a seasoned diyer? I've only done the Amp Camp Amp (solid state), but am tempted to try my hand at these. The cost is such that if it's pretty complex, I better not.

How difficult is it to build? Do you need to be a seasoned diyer? I've only done the Amp Camp Amp (solid state), but am tempted to try my hand at these. The cost is such that if it's pretty complex, I better not.
I had never touched a solder iron until I built the Bottlehead Crack headphone amp. Their instruction manuals are so well written. I would say the building isn’t just easy but strangely meditative and therapeutic. If you do ever get into trouble their online forum is super helpful.

I had never touched a solder iron until I built the Bottlehead Crack headphone amp. Their instruction manuals are so well written. I would say the building isn’t just easy but strangely meditative and therapeutic. If you do ever get into trouble their online forum is super helpful.
Awesome, I had no experience before I made my amp either. I might have to try the headphone amp as a gateway too. I totally agree with the therapeutic nature of it! Probably not dissimilar from knitting or making fishing flys, etc. The best part is that it actually turns on, works, and sounds good. I definitely appreciate my system, at least my amp, differently because I built it. Thanks for the inspiration!!

My old Victor (known as "JVC" outside Japan) 70's turntable.

Iron Horse.

Iron Will.

SN3N2608_zps0f1e22d8.jpg

current TT is a Pioneer PL-50.

pioneerpl50_zpsra0oxxth.jpg

$40 bucks from a used record store. Guessing made in about 1981.

I splurge on a Denon DL-110 MC cart every couple of years.

Denon-DL-110-Cartridge_Main-1.jpg

I'm no expert but googled "best cheap mc cart" about 10 years ago and this name kept coming up in reviews. It is a MASSIVE upgrade from bog standard factory carts. Costs about $200 and lasts a couple of years for me. Not cheap. The problem is, once you hear this level, you cannot go back. I tried. "A cheapo Audio Technica will do me. Save the $$. I'm not some fussy anal audiophile." Then after 5 minutes with the cheapy it's "NO. This will not stand. I must have the upgrade. I cannot go back to this tincan caterwaul."

Shure V15 type iii (rebuilt) > Thorens TD-147 (Vinyl Nirvana restoration) > Sansui 5000a > Dynaco A25's

View attachment 1130

Close up of the Shure (playing Moonchild's Please Rewind)

View attachment 1131

I love Dynaco A-25s. My brother had a pair that he bought new in 1973- the first good speaker I'd ever heard. That experience truly changed my life.

I love Dynaco A-25s. My brother had a pair that he bought new in 1973- the first good speaker I'd ever heard. That experience truly changed my life.

True story @HiFi Guy - they just do everything solidly, especially jazz. Glad to see there are some other believers in here.

Sound-wise, they're superb, and the Shure really gave them a lot more room to work with.

Shure V15 type iii (rebuilt) > Thorens TD-147 (Vinyl Nirvana restoration) > Sansui 5000a > Dynaco A25's

View attachment 1130

Close up of the Shure (playing Moonchild's Please Rewind)

View attachment 1131

I adore those linen grilles.

I've actually got a new in box Shure V15 Type III in my closet. I've gone back and forth on getting it fit with a JICO stylus and seeing how it sounds.

This is a Debut Carbon, @Joe Mac!? The arm looks right, but the platter and plinth both look so massive and awesome! And the speed controller too, never seen one like that - do tell!

Thank you!

So it’s the esprit sb model of the debut carbon. That comes packaged with the upgraded acrylic platter and a built in speed controller.

The wooden surround is an isolation box that I had built for me by www.acoustand.co.uk that, I think, really sets it off and makes it’s look just right in my system :)

Back