Let's See What Makes Your Vinyl Spin!

Can only go on what what the website states...of course the website could be up the Swanny, however when we checked the Birmingham store it stated that no stock at mo (billy book cases!) and next delivery from 4/7 onwards
Yeah it’s just mad that loads of places like Nottingham and Manchester and Bristol and MK that must all be closer than Norwich are also completely out of stock!

Oh wough is me...new music room man cave painted and ready to rock, carpet coming Wednesday, spent an hour measuring up, an hour ordering ikea out of house and home , to find out Birmingham ikea has no billy book cases or 5x5 Kallax units at the moment ..nearest stock in Norwich, who would deliver it to me on the ......3/8 !

Gotta wait til 3/7 and hope brum get a restock 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭
I have never felt comfortable with idea of a 5x5 loaded down with albums. When we move next month I'll be investing in multiple 2x4s. I'd rather have four 4x2s vs one loaded down 5x5.

Maybe those worries are unwarranted, but after boxing up all my records for moving I just cannot fathom a 5x5 being stable with that weight load. If you're not loading it down it would be fine, but I want to plan for the future of my collection without feeling limited.

I have never felt comfortable with idea of a 5x5 loaded down with albums. When we move next month I'll be investing in multiple 2x4s. I'd rather have four 4x2s vs one loaded down 5x5.

Maybe those worries are unwarranted, but after boxing up all my records for moving I just cannot fathom a 5x5 being stable with that weight load. If you're not loading it down it would be fine, but I want to plan for the future of my collection without feeling limited.

So long as you run the long boards horizontally it actually gets stronger when you load it because it’s in compression. Even the 4x2 feels unstable until you load it up and then it’s solid as a rock.

Got a 4 x 4 already , and as @Joe Mac stayed, just got to make the long boards run Horizontally..

So long as you run the long boards horizontally it actually gets stronger when you load it because it’s in compression. Even the 4x2 feels unstable until you load it up and then it’s solid as a rock.
I see the logic, but I still don't feel comfortable with it personally. It only costs about $30USD more to get (3) 4x2s. And it's easy to add more if needed. A loaded 5x5 would likely be holding between $5k and $10K+ of records. I think it's worth the extra few bucks to feel as secure as possible in that storage solution.

No fault to anyone who uses a 5x5. Like I said, my concerns may be unwarranted. But when I remember the value of what I'm storing, I want peace of mind.

I see the logic, but I still don't feel comfortable with it personally. It only costs about $30USD more to get (3) 4x2s. And it's easy to add more if needed. A loaded 5x5 would likely be holding between $5k and $10K+ of records. I think it's worth the extra few bucks to feel as secure as possible in that storage solution.

No fault to anyone who uses a 5x5. Like I said, my concerns may be unwarranted. But when I remember the value of what I'm storing, I want peace of mind.

Honestly, I’ll be blunt, if that’s your concern bypass the Kallax completely and just get a carpenter to built you something solid. Otherwise it’s splitting hairs. The only issues with the bigger Kallax shelves is when fools don’t read the instructions and put the long boards vertically.

Another thing to consider with the 5x5 is the sheer size of the thing, should you ever move. I constructed a 5x5 in the basement of our last house, but we had to leave it behind when we moved, because it simply would not fit up the basement stairs. That would not have been an issue with the 4x2 size.

Here's some of my former setups:
SjeN73z.jpg

sk4QB27.jpg

xc8pwDa.jpg

drGa5YZ.jpg

63cenG2.jpg

mpH1x9s.jpg

UvHHtDL.jpg

zfEdq5S.jpg

Oddly I can't find any pics of my current setups. Probably because everything is so messy I don't want to take a picture.

Here's some of my former setups:
SjeN73z.jpg

sk4QB27.jpg

xc8pwDa.jpg

drGa5YZ.jpg

63cenG2.jpg

mpH1x9s.jpg

UvHHtDL.jpg

zfEdq5S.jpg

Oddly I can't find any pics of my current setups. Probably because everything is so messy I don't want to take a picture.
This is great, I love that you've documented it along the way. I covet that first picture. I want that little cube of fun in my house right now.

Another thing to consider with the 5x5 is the sheer size of the thing, should you ever move. I constructed a 5x5 in the basement of our last house, but we had to leave it behind when we moved, because it simply would not fit up the basement stairs. That would not have been an issue with the 4x2 size.
In didn't even think about that! I have a 5x5 I used as general storage in my office, and now that you point this out I don't know that we'll have space for it in our new house.
Bigger house, bigger rooms... but I doubt it will fit up the stairs.

In didn't even think about that! I have a 5x5 I used as general storage in my office, and now that you point this out I don't know that we'll have space for it in our new house.
Bigger house, bigger rooms... but I doubt it will fit up the stairs.
To be fair they are not that expensive...and easy to dismantle and send to the tip

Ikea update⚠️⚠️⚠️⚠️⚠️⚠️⚠️⚠️⚠️⚠️⚠️⚠️⚠️⚠️⚠️⚠️⚠️⚠️⚠️

So brum store had a restock yesterday ..queue frantic dash after work, mega queue outside at 5.00pm...checking stock levels on phone whilst waiting ...in the store by 5.30.. dash to book case isle ...4 white Billy’s secured but not many left ..grabbed 16 extra shelves ..again , only a few left ..crammed into car along with an unhappy wife squashed in the back ..gone by 6.15 ...chips for tea !

Not a great experience but can start building today ready for cd room swap over later .....no 5x5 kallax yet in stock....so will keep an eye out for them ..may have to order from Norwich!

Ikea update⚠⚠⚠⚠⚠⚠⚠⚠⚠⚠⚠⚠⚠⚠⚠⚠⚠⚠⚠

So brum store had a restock yesterday ..queue frantic dash after work, mega queue outside at 5.00pm...checking stock levels on phone whilst waiting ...in the store by 5.30.. dash to book case isle ...4 white Billy’s secured but not many left ..grabbed 16 extra shelves ..again , only a few left ..crammed into car along with an unhappy wife squashed in the back ..gone by 6.15 ...chips for tea !

Not a great experience but can start building today ready for cd room swap over later .....no 5x5 kallax yet in stock....so will keep an eye out for them ..may have to order from Norwich!

you could still visit Norwich and buy records at Soundclash records while you`re there :D

Ikea update⚠⚠⚠⚠⚠⚠⚠⚠⚠⚠⚠⚠⚠⚠⚠⚠⚠⚠⚠

Woo hoo ..ikea brum got its stock ...got my 2x4 kallax and ordered a 5x5 for delivery ...music room swap over can get going again

Back