Let's See What Makes Your Vinyl Spin!

View attachment 196963

Current state of things with a couple of new toys :)

I picked up one of those Studiodeck Foundations when MD was blowing them out. It replaced a Technics SL-1500. I live in an older house with suspended wooden floors, and when turned up I always fight feedback and footfalls. I thought the delrin in the new table might help. Man has it ever. Much quieter, and zero feedback. With the Zazen platform it's just what I was hoping to hear. I think the Mofi sounds slightly better, although I really like the Technics too. I'm guessing the longer arm and the delrin platter are making a difference. I do prefer the longer arm.

I also replaced the amp. I was running a Yamaha A-S801. I had that a couple of years. At times, I put in an older pair of ELAC UB5s, and that Yamaha was really polite. I just put in a Arcam Radia A15 in it's place. More grunt, and deeper bass. I like both of the amps, but the Arcam really makes the ELACs sing. The Yamaha didn't. Perhaps the power supply is responsible. The amps are certainly voiced different. With the KLHs setup, the amp grabs the bass in a way the Yamaha didn't. Although I am going to miss the variable loudness on the Yamaha.

And yeah, I've been told the tree is staying lol. So, Merry Christmas to me!
Those new Arcams put out real nice sound. I'm still using a 550 but I heard the Radias at an audio show this summer hooked up to some really nice gear and they absolutely held their own against stuff 5x the price.

View attachment 196963

Current state of things with a couple of new toys :)

I picked up one of those Studiodeck Foundations when MD was blowing them out. It replaced a Technics SL-1500. I live in an older house with suspended wooden floors, and when turned up I always fight feedback and footfalls. I thought the delrin in the new table might help. Man has it ever. Much quieter, and zero feedback. With the Zazen platform it's just what I was hoping to hear. I think the Mofi sounds slightly better, although I really like the Technics too. I'm guessing the longer arm and the delrin platter are making a difference. I do prefer the longer arm.

I also replaced the amp. I was running a Yamaha A-S801. I had that a couple of years. At times, I put in an older pair of ELAC UB5s, and that Yamaha was really polite. I just put in a Arcam Radia A15 in it's place. More grunt, and deeper bass. I like both of the amps, but the Arcam really makes the ELACs sing. The Yamaha didn't. Perhaps the power supply is responsible. The amps are certainly voiced different. With the KLHs setup, the amp grabs the bass in a way the Yamaha didn't. Although I am going to miss the variable loudness on the Yamaha.

And yeah, I've been told the tree is staying lol. So, Merry Christmas to me!
I love my Sol, but the Delrin platter on the MoFis was absolutely killer.

I love my Sol, but the Delrin platter on the MoFis was absolutely killer.
Well it seems to work in my listening area quite well. I really fight feedback here, and I don't have any now. I've had it for about a month, and am thrilled so far. I even left the Studiodeck cart on it, although I have a couple wooden Grados that I think would fit well.

They... they still make those?

This actually makes me happy.
I was going to let my subscription expire after 30+ years as a subscriber. I kept getting weekly reminder letters that it was about to expire and I kept ignoring them. Right after I received my final copy last month I got another reminder letter and it turned out to be a “professional subscription” offer of five years for $20. I bit and will be reading paper copies for a while longer, I guess. I do like Herb Reichert and Michael Trei who are very analog oriented.

I was going to let my subscription expire after 30+ years as a subscriber. I kept getting weekly reminder letters that it was about to expire and I kept ignoring them. Right after I received my final copy last month I got another reminder letter and it turned out to be a “professional subscription” offer of five years for $20. I bit and will be reading paper copies for a while longer, I guess. I do like Herb Reichert and Michael Trei who are very analog oriented.
My concern is regarding Mark Henninger coming onboard. He has a rather cynical view on the industry. That was fine when he was writing for AVS, but I wonder how his editorial management may affect what’s covered by Stereophile? I can’t say it’s been helping at Sound and Vision.

My concern is regarding Mark Henninger coming onboard. He has a rather cynical view on the industry. That was fine when he was writing for AVS, but I wonder how his editorial management may affect what’s covered by Stereophile? I can’t say it’s been helping at Sound and Vision.

I thinks pretty hard not to have a very cynical view of the high end audio industry. It really is a quite ridiculous place!

I will keep an eye on that. When did this happen?

Wish me luck that the table doesn’t bounce tomorrow:
View attachment 195982
The console isn’t centered because of that damn gate. It will be up until at least Christmas. The table is centered so chill out @Mather
So, it appears that I may have finally solved the bouncy floors (I still don’t have the courage to set the whirling dervish toddler loose while a record is playing, it will happen at some point) but my wife just went stomping through the living room and thought I must have been playing a cd as the record did not skip….

Back