Let's See What Makes Your Vinyl Spin!

I don’t disagree with you, but if you’ve got cash for a record collection that requires a cus built storage I thinking a Sonos type system ain’t going to dent your wallet.

Also, I’m a Sonos fan. It’s what we have in the main living area of the house. Easy for the wife, kids, visitors to use and it fills the space nicely with music. The Trueplay tuning works well.

Yeah I like Sonos too, although I don’t use it for music. I have a playbase and two play 1’s for tv audio in the same room as the main system. I really like it but it was far from the cheapest option.

Or if you were actually going Sonos you put plugs in the speaker cubby and have a stereo pair 3 or 5 in them and a port off the phono stage to transmit to the them. It isn’t a cheap option though by any stretch of the imagination.
I would recommend mounting the Sonos speakers outside of any enclosure And pointing them towards the listening area. Use the Trueplay to level out the sound.

Yeah I like Sonos too, although I don’t use it for music. I have a playbase and two play 1’s for tv audio in the same room as the main system. I really like it but it was far from the cheapest option.
I have an Arc, Gen 1 sub and 2 Play 1s for surrounds. Sonos serves double duty for TV watching and casual music listening.

I‘ve considered connecting a turn table, but am not sure I want to subject my records to the less detail oriented people in my house. 😂

Just a question about a set up like this. Would it affect the sound quality of your speakers to have them enclosed in a shelf like this?

I find the look really clean but I've hesitated because I'm concerned that the speakers like this might cause them to sound very "boomy".
Like the name implies, bookshelf speakers were designed to go in bookshelves. Certainly, some issues could occur depending on the quality of shelving, from vibration, bass issues etc, but putting bookshelf speakers on stands don’t automatically make things better. Like all things, it depends. Are the stands mass loaded? Depending on the speaker, this could make a huge difference. What are the stands mass loaded with? Sand, lead shot, steel shot, rice? Most people just put bookshelf speakers on stands and call it a day. They rarely mass load speaker stands, or worse, they use cheap speaker stands. They have no idea how much better their speakers can sound.

There are a lot of variables, but I wouldn’t dismiss speakers in bookshelves outright. What I’d do first is move the turntable away from the shelving that houses the speakers because that would cause vibration issues.

Holy plinth! What is that one?
Also what are the components on the rug under the risers?
Yeah sorry for the clutter. Many of the amps (Quicksilver monos, Sonic Frontiers SF-160 monos, and an Audio Research vt100 that are all serviced and ready for the next 20 years), are my next round of purging and I was taking photos. The amps in question are Quicksilver Silver monos with 90wpc.

The plinth is a project with my buddy John at Lynward Woodworks. It was a project to see how far I could take a "basic" DD turntable. It is one of the better sounding tables I have owned, and it takes a whole lot more money to best. SPH copper mat, Wayne's ring, KAB mods, cardas wire from the leads out etc.
newnewDW.jpg

SEWE300B #004
HDTv2
Zbit
Schiit Freya+
Schiit Loki Max
EverSolo Streamer/DAC combo
Custom AT/ turntable
Softone phono stage
TEAC, Crown and Otari tape machines
SVS Pro 1000 subs
Nordost cables

Last edited:
Today has been surreal.. I'm jittery still. It was a vinyl and 15ips tape day, and It was just an incredible christening with Jon. We listened all day to these beautiful speakers that he built. We discussed what we were hearing and it was just "another world experience for me. He felt the same. We do not bullshit anyone and certainly not each other. We have been at times brutally honest with each other and that's why it so fun we we listen.

Steve Deckert has a winner in this speaker he calls the HDT v 2.

Charlie

IMG-7616.jpg

IMG-7614.jpg

IMG-7611.jpg

IMG-7612.jpg

IMG-7613.jpg

Today has been surreal.. I'm jittery still. It was a vinyl and 15ips tape day, and It was just an incredible christening with Jon. We listened all day to these beautiful speakers that he built. We discussed what we were hearing and it was just "another world experience for me. He felt the same. We do not bullshit anyone and certainly not each other. We have been at times brutally honest with each other and that's why it so fun we we listen.

Steve Deckert has a winner in this speaker he calls the HDT v 2.

Charlie

IMG-7616.jpg

IMG-7614.jpg

IMG-7611.jpg

IMG-7612.jpg

IMG-7613.jpg
That's just superb looking. Can't imagine the sound.

What did you listen to on tape?

So just came up in my memories that 12 years ago today I got my system rack. I hadn’t even got a table or started collecting vinyl back then and was only in my apartment 10 months! How things change!

View attachment 195138View attachment 195139
First, let me say it looks great and I love the candles. Good smells go with good tunes and mood lighting, so my question is just out of genuine curiosity. Women in the thread, can you tell it's a guy's apartment by the number of remotes on the coffee table? Or is that a wrong gendered assumption I would make if I randomly saw this picture?

Edit: I've been married and haven't been to a single woman's home in over a decade, so I honestly don't know how this stands in our consuming demographic other than that men tend to buy more electronics per the data.

First, let me say it looks great and I love the candles. Good smells go with good tunes and mood lighting, so my question is just out of genuine curiosity. Women in the thread, can you tell it's a guy's apartment by the number of remotes on the coffee table? Or is that a wrong gendered assumption I would make if I randomly saw this picture?

Edit: I've been married and haven't been to a single woman's home in over a decade, so I honestly don't know how this stands in our consuming demographic other than that men tend to buy more electronics per the data.

I reckon he’s a player , if Sade comes on the ladies are in trouble

Universal remotes and or hdmi-arc.

Can you figure out what each of the 7 is for?

Back