Let's appreciate the Hammond Organ!

Going to post a weekly Hammond album of the week favorite here. The inaugural pick...

Hammond Album Of The Week:

Eric Kloss - About Time
A 2 album compilation of Pittsburgh saxophonist Eric Kloss. Here we have the pure joy to hear the wonderful Don Patterson from Philadelphia and Richard Groove Holmes on Hammond organ. Enjoy!

Reactions: .Z.
Groove Holmes is awesome. I‘ve had a couple different Eric Kloss albums in my hands before, but always wound up returning them to the bins for some reason. This sounds great, though.
there usually pretty beat up for some reason. One of the good things about this very nice digital compilation of his first two. Don Patterson is a favorite I will be posting more about in the future. Very influential on Papa John and Joey Defrancesco in Philly.

Reactions: .Z.
The Great Hammond Organ player Don Patterson from Columbus, Ohio was another who took up the instrument after hearing Jimmy Smith. With 20+ always funky and greasy albums to his credits. Later in life he moved to Philadelphia and heavily influenced both Papa John and Joey DeFrancesco, and others such as Tony Monaco. Well worth diggin for and or streaming.

@Turbo

Last edited:
Here is a great Hammond trio album with Kimberly Gordon on vocal, the great Chicago organist Chris Foreman on B3 (former Green Mill house organist and Deep Blue Organ Trio member), and Andy Brown on guitar. Highly recommended!

Last edited:
Another Chris Foreman (Chicago, former Green Mill house organist) project that is highly recommend. With the great Greg Rockingham (Nat Adderley, Kenny Burrell, Charles Earland and Ellis Marsalis.) on Drums and Bobby Broom (Miles Davis, Sonny Rollins, Charles Earland) on guitar. Perhaps my favorite most recent Hammond Jazz album (2007) Folk Music.

1652647154444.png

Last edited:
The reviews are all over the place with this one.
Streaming it sounds great.
Looking forward to the target order on this one.

The Hammond sounds great.
This mix of jazz and soul is a sweet spot for me.

The reviews are all over the place with this one.
Streaming it sounds great.
Looking forward to the target order on this one.

The Hammond sounds great.
This mix of jazz and soul is a sweet spot for me.

The record sounds great, but the master is borked. If you enjoyed the digital, the record is great. It’s also cut hot. So it’s a mess if you crank it.

The record sounds great, but the master is borked. If you enjoyed the digital, the record is great. It’s also cut hot. So it’s a mess if you crank it.
My system had no issues with the hot cut on Craft Relaxin but there are a lot complaints on that one also.

I will say target customer service, in my experience, on vinyl is usually just a straight up refund and keep the record if not happy.

Back