Let's appreciate the Hammond Organ!

I need to give them another try. I feel like they should be right up my alley, but neither of the first two albums drew me in, so I haven’t bought their more recent releases.
I only just recently learnt of them and have "Cold As Weiss" which I really enjoy. I haven't really listened to their other albums front to back yet.

I really like Charles Earland. I first heard him on a Rusty Bryant album, but he had a decent solo career as well.

I saw Dr. Lonnie Smith at Village Vanguard several years ago and that was sublime. That was my only trip to NYC and I was pretty pumped to get to see him there.

My early exposure was Jon Lord from Deep Purple...he takes off at about the 2:50 mark.

I need to give them another try. I feel like they should be right up my alley, but neither of the first two albums drew me in, so I haven’t bought their more recent releases.
It took me a while to warm up to them as well. Maybe a little more Memphis/Stax/Booker T than traditional jazz organ trio. This single 45 from Colemine is also worth getting as well when you can throw it in on a @Plaid Room / Colemine order.

@Turbo

Last edited:
Yeah, everyone seems to like that one, so maybe I pick that up this weekend.

Some other B3 greats: Shirley Scott, Groove Holmes, Sonny Phillips, Larry Young, and two other favorites I neglected to mention in my first response, Booker T. Jones and the Small Faces’ Ian MacLagan.

I'm a big fan of their Live at KEXP album as well. This is the performance that got them known. You should be able to find actual video of their show too.

EDIT: I just noticed that @Selaws already posted a live at KEXP clip above. (Also, I want one of those Tabasco T-shirt Delvon is wearing.)

My favorite All time Hammond B3 session...
Larry Young Into Somethin'

Grant Green Street Of Dreams is a close 2nd which by no coincidence also features Young on Hammond...

Decided to spin that Larry Young right now, just for you ;)

Let's touch on Billy Preston for a moment.

Preston collaborated with some of the greatest names in the music industry, including The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Band, Nat King Cole, Little Richard, Eric Burdon, Ray Charles, George Harrison, Elton John, Eric Clapton, Bob Dylan, Sam Cooke, King Curtis, Sammy Davis Jr., Aretha Franklin, the Jackson 5, Quincy Jones, Mick Jagger, Richie Sambora, Sly Stone, Johnny Cash, Neil Diamond, the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Ringo Starr. He played the Fender Rhodes electric piano and the Hammond organ on the 'Get Back' sessions in 1969.

Preston and Tony Sheridan are the only two non-Beatles to receive billing as an artist alongside the Beatles (as distinct from receiving credit as a session musician on album packaging) on an official Beatles record release. The label of the Get Back single credits the artists on the record as The Beatles with Billy Preston.

Reuben Wilson's Love Bug just got reissued as part of the Blue Note Classic series. AAA, Kevin Gray and all that. Another pretty good Hammond B3 album, and you get Lee Morgan, Grant Green and Idris Muhammad playing in the band too.

My favorite All time Hammond B3 session...
Larry Young Into Somethin'

Grant Green Street Of Dreams is a close 2nd which by no coincidence also features Young on Hammond...

I live a 10 minute walk from the corner of Grant and Green where those street signs were photographed - the intersection is still there but the signs are now more modern and way less cool.

Back