Last Night From Glasgow - A Not-For-Profit Record Label

Sadly Ian has had to up the shipping price to Canada, so I will have to hold off on buying non-Gold membership titles for a bit

Was talking about them in the recently created Power Pop thread, so I thought I'd put up a post here about the Last Night From Glasgow label.

Created in 2016, LNFG was designed to be different from other record labels. Fiercely independent, it's key aim is to give bands the best possible deal, and to ensure that neither band or customer is ripped off. The not for profit element is key here, which allows bands to get paid a fair amount on the records sold, and keeps the subscriptions at a seriously good price point.

I've been a member since it started, and it's genuinely exciting seeing how much the label has grown. What was once a handful of records a year is now a solid roster of releases, and there are now 2 additional labels for more experimental stuff and reissues of Glasgow/Scottish classics. It also gave me one of the joys of lockdown - very early on the label came up with the Isolation Sessions - a covers album, as well as a photography documentary where all the members could get their photo taken at home by Brian Sweeney, a legend of Scottish music photography.

In terms of releases, it's now home to Bis, and has a leaning towards "classic" Scottish pop. I'd recommend Broken Chanter, Domiciles, Cloth, and Mt Doubt if you want to get started. Future reissues are going to see some Trashcan Sinatras and BMX Bandits, and there are a lot of good new things on the way.

The absolute deal-breaker is the price - £66!

Streamed all your recommendations last night and absolutely loved it! This is great and I'm definitely going to see about picking up a few titles.

They’re all good. The Trashcans’ reissue is the highlight, but Life Model and Sister John both good too. The Sister John record has more synths than previous ones. Hadn’t heard Life Model before but enjoyed the record - it’s more of a double EP, electric and acoustic versions of the same five songs.

They’re all good. The Trashcans’ reissue is the highlight, but Life Model and Sister John both good too. The Sister John record has more synths than previous ones. Hadn’t heard Life Model before but enjoyed the record - it’s more of a double EP, electric and acoustic versions of the same five songs.

Yep, I really like this batch. The Sister John record is more pop than I'd expected and I really like it. Waiting on a copy of Wojtek the Bear that was left out of my shipment. I really liked the previous one.

Yep, I really like this batch. The Sister John record is more pop than I'd expected and I really like it. Waiting on a copy of Wojtek the Bear that was left out of my shipment. I really liked the previous one.
Ordered a copy of the Weightlifting repress, so hopefully that comes in the next batch. Also going to jump heavily into one of the Past Night releases when it happens.

I bought the band’s own ‘Weightlifting’ pressing when it came out, which wasn’t cheap. The title track is an all-time favourite, though.

As for PNFG, definitely keen on Joy Zipper (TBC) and the Frank and Walters albums. Oh and the other TCS album they’re lining up. Was thinking about the bis reissue but I bought the double CD not that long ago after opening for them.

I bought the band’s own ‘Weightlifting’ pressing when it came out, which wasn’t cheap. The title track is an all-time favourite, though.

As for PNFG, definitely keen on Joy Zipper (TBC) and the Frank and Walters albums. Oh and the other TCS album they’re lining up. Was thinking about the bis reissue but I bought the double CD not that long ago after opening for them.
Joy Zipper is the big one for me.

What band were you in?

Yeah, ‘Sounds’ is a very good starting point. I’ve only done a couple of things with them when people have been unavailable so not on any records. Have been a fan for a long time.

I missed this, looks interesting. When do the 2022 subs go up for sale, or am I too late?

Back