Last Night From Glasgow - A Not-For-Profit Record Label

I'd intended to make a thread on LNFG and never got around to it - @Thackeraye has done a much better job than I would have!

Subbed for Platinum in 2020. Think my favourite of the 2020 releases was Mt Doubt, which crept up on me to quite an extent. Love the last track in particular. The Cloth, Broken Chanter and Domiciles albums are all very good. Only listened to the Slow Weather EP once but it sounded good.

Hadn't been sure about re-subbing this year but have gone for it, swayed by the Trashcan Sinatras reissue and my expectation that the new Sister John record will be good. It's also very cheap for what you are getting.
I subscribe as much for the philosophy as the music. I do think it's the way to go for new labels, especially in this streaming age.

Personally, I'd love it if they found a band or two that liked a power chord and a distortion pedal, but that's just me. I was maybe slightly too young for the bands that the label use as a touchstone, but I'm starting to like it all a bit more. All of the releases above were great, and although I've only listened to it once, the new Bis album is good fun.

I subscribe as much for the philosophy as the music. I do think it's the way to go for new labels, especially in this streaming age.

Personally, I'd love it if they found a band or two that liked a power chord and a distortion pedal, but that's just me. I was maybe slightly too young for the bands that the label use as a touchstone, but I'm starting to like it all a bit more. All of the releases above were great, and although I've only listened to it once, the new Bis album is good fun.
I would tend to agree on some of the musical selections being a little on the safe side, though I think there's a place for that. There's a reasonable bit of variety in what has been released in the past, but it can lean a bit 6music-ish at times. Something I've been aware of over the years is that there is a middle ground of what we would have called unsigned artist in the past who're making music that doesn't really fit with what most independent labels are interested in releasing (even if it may have more commercial appeal) but for whatever reason isn't going to get picked up by a major and get the big push (may be technically very good but just not quite have a spark).

There's definitely a cohort of the LNFG membership that enthusiastically receive what the label puts out, whether that's due to alignment of tastes or support for the idea.

I don't want this to sound like I'm down on it at all, I think it's brilliant that the a subscription-funded label of this sort has grown and flourished the way it has. It'll have been a lot of work! And it requires that the artists buy in to the concept too, so I daresay that they'll have missed out on some interesting releases along the way.

I would tend to agree on some of the musical selections being a little on the safe side, though I think there's a place for that. There's a reasonable bit of variety in what has been released in the past, but it can lean a bit 6music-ish at times. Something I've been aware of over the years is that there is a middle ground of what we would have called unsigned artist in the past who're making music that doesn't really fit with what most independent labels are interested in releasing (even if it may have more commercial appeal) but for whatever reason isn't going to get picked up by a major and get the big push (may be technically very good but just not quite have a spark).

There's definitely a cohort of the LNFG membership that enthusiastically receive what the label puts out, whether that's due to alignment of tastes or support for the idea.

I don't want this to sound like I'm down on it at all, I think it's brilliant that the a subscription-funded label of this sort has grown and flourished the way it has. It'll have been a lot of work! And it requires that the artists buy in to the concept too, so I daresay that they'll have missed out on some interesting releases along the way.
Oh, I totally get it, and I'm not being negative at all either - I think the hit rate is overall pretty good, and even if I only liked half it would still be a great deal.

Agreed - I like enough to have subbed again, and I’m aware that when I’ve not been so into something there’s maybe been an element of “narcissism of small differences” to it.

Any non-UK Gold members get their first shipment yet? I got I think part of my order today - Gracious Losers, Hadda Be and BMX Bandits. I thought Sister John was out already but I am probably wrong. Clean them up this weekend and give them a spin

Funny, Mt Doubt just does not click with me. I have listed to Doubtlands a few times and I cannot remember anything about it. I did enjoy the Gracious Losers

Funny, Mt Doubt just does not click with me. I have listed to Doubtlands a few times and I cannot remember anything about it. I did enjoy the Gracious Losers
It took me a few listens to click but my way in was via the last track, “Peaks of Wreck” I think.

Haven’t heard Gracious Losers yet - was sent the BMX Bandits ‘Star Wars’ reissue in its place by accident.

It took me a few listens to click but my way in was via the last track, “Peaks of Wreck” I think.

Haven’t heard Gracious Losers yet - was sent the BMX Bandits ‘Star Wars’ reissue in its place by accident.
Star Wars is great though.

Having a wee break from buying, so I'm not jumping on the TeenCanteen release, or the We Are the Physics reissue. Might see if I can get a dinked version later on.

Oh, I enjoyed ‘Star Wars’ but wouldn’t have bought it for myself. I’ve owned various BMX Bandits albums over the years and none of them are still in my collection (other than that copy of ‘Star Wars’). I think I like the idea of them more than anything.

Back