Last Night From Glasgow - A Not-For-Profit Record Label

Thackeraye

Was talking about them in the recently created Power Pop thread, so I thought I'd put up a post here about the Last Night From Glasgow label.

Created in 2016, LNFG was designed to be different from other record labels. Fiercely independent, it's key aim is to give bands the best possible deal, and to ensure that neither band or customer is ripped off. The not for profit element is key here, which allows bands to get paid a fair amount on the records sold, and keeps the subscriptions at a seriously good price point.

I've been a member since it started, and it's genuinely exciting seeing how much the label has grown. What was once a handful of records a year is now a solid roster of releases, and there are now 2 additional labels for more experimental stuff and reissues of Glasgow/Scottish classics. It also gave me one of the joys of lockdown - very early on the label came up with the Isolation Sessions - a covers album, as well as a photography documentary where all the members could get their photo taken at home by Brian Sweeney, a legend of Scottish music photography.

In terms of releases, it's now home to Bis, and has a leaning towards "classic" Scottish pop. I'd recommend Broken Chanter, Domiciles, Cloth, and Mt Doubt if you want to get started. Future reissues are going to see some Trashcan Sinatras and BMX Bandits, and there are a lot of good new things on the way.

The absolute deal-breaker is the price - £66!

£66 for 12 records seems insane value so I'm going to check this out carefully. Enjoyed the few tracks I quickly streamed just now...

Thanks for sharing! This looks right up my alley. Tempted by the platinum plan, but curious what releases would come in the bundle. Love me some Scottish pop!

I assumed it was these, which all sound great

In addition to all the LNFG releases from 2021, Platinum Members will also enjoy a bundle of past vinyl releases.

Lizabett Russo - While I Sit And Watch This Tree

The Bluebells - Sisters

Sister John - Returned From Sea

Starless - Earthbound

Mt. Doubt - Doubtlands

The Isolation Sessions - Double Album

(We can swap in records from our catalogue in place of a ny duplicates)

I really don't need any more records but I love the idea of this and have enjoyed pretty much everything I've listened to - I think I'm pulling the trigger on the Platinum Membership :eek:

Yellow for me as well. Going to see if I can somehow get a copy of the Trashcan Sinatras repress. Wasn’t going to bother, then I listened to it...

Reactions: Jan
Yellow for me as well. Going to see if I can somehow get a copy of the Trashcan Sinatras repress. Wasn’t going to bother, then I listened to it...
which one? isnt i`ve seen everything to be included in the 2021 roster?

I'd intended to make a thread on LNFG and never got around to it - @Thackeraye has done a much better job than I would have!

Subbed for Platinum in 2020. Think my favourite of the 2020 releases was Mt Doubt, which crept up on me to quite an extent. Love the last track in particular. The Cloth, Broken Chanter and Domiciles albums are all very good. Only listened to the Slow Weather EP once but it sounded good.

Hadn't been sure about re-subbing this year but have gone for it, swayed by the Trashcan Sinatras reissue and my expectation that the new Sister John record will be good. It's also very cheap for what you are getting.

Back