June 2022 Vinyl Spin Challenge - Red (N&G's Version)

09 – Stay Stay Stay - Cutesy as heck and definitely a bit of a daydream about one of those ideal relationships, which after like the last eight tracks is a nice change.

Play a palette cleanser (the music you go to when you just need to take away all the emotions of the world)

AC7B72DF-9DAF-46EE-A126-BA212BB1EA07.jpeg

Satomimagae - Hanazono

29890785-9EF3-4779-8B0D-42CFFBBC57AA.jpeg

09 – Stay Stay Stay - Cutesy as heck and definitely a bit of a daydream about one of those ideal relationships, which after like the last eight tracks is a nice change.

Play a palette cleanser (the music you go to when you just need to take away all the emotions of the world)

Or

Play that album that just tends to stay (stay stay) on the turntable after a spin

Sometimes those two prompts go hand in hand. Here's one that qualifies for both for me.

IMG_1261.JPG

10 – The Last Time – At this point, this was a rarity in the Swift catalog – a true duet. I think it’s her first male-female collaboration on a mainline Swift album (she did have some features elsewhere) and man does it have a lot of Gary Lightbody on it.

Play an album featuring vocalists of at least two genders

IMG_1265 2.JPG

Beautiful night to blare these albums out the back door and have a drink or few.

IMG_1262.JPG

11 – Holy Ground – Time heals all wounds right? This one is about looking through the bad in the past to recognize the good that was and getting a bit of healing from it, so…

Play an album that someone else introduced you to (even if you don’t talk to them anymore)

My good friend brought this album over and said 'You need some Root Boy Slim in your collection.' He was right.

And I do still talk to him, we gather once or sometimes a couple times a week to further artistic endeavors.

IMG_1267.JPG

11 – Holy Ground – Time heals all wounds right? This one is about looking through the bad in the past to recognize the good that was and getting a bit of healing from it, so…
Play an album that someone else introduced you to (even if you don’t talk to them anymore)

1980. Freshman year at UNC. Walking down the hall in Teague. Heard this music coming from a dorm room. Asked the guy what he was playing. "They're a really good local band from back home." He made me a cassette copy. Played it to death.

Flash forward 40 years. I decide to feature this record as my Needles & Grooves Artist Of The Month pick. That choice evolves into a friendship with the 73 year old originator of this great band.

You never know when you might turn someone on to something that will impact them in unimaginable ways.

Music really is the best.

15-60-75 - Jimmy Bell's Still In Town

20201013_024231.jpg

10 – The Last Time – At this point, this was a rarity in the Swift catalog – a true duet. I think it’s her first male-female collaboration on a mainline Swift album (she did have some features elsewhere) and man does it have a lot of Gary Lightbody on it.

The Delgados - The Great Eastern

They just announced some tour dates for the first time in almost 20 years.

20210531_112818-jpg.101137

12 – Sad Beautiful Tragic A bit of a tough track about isolation, longing, and waiting for something that will never work out.
Play a sad, beautiful, tragic album

I always go total stream of consciousness on these challenges. I pull up the topic for the day, read it and make a first thing that pops into my head decision. Except today. I ignored my head and followed my heart.

Reading this topic, my head would tell me to go Bowie - Blackstar 99.9% of the time. I didn't but I'm sure it'll pop up. It's too perfect for the theme.

Instead, I went with this one I just got. It's just as, if not more perfect for the theme. Two LPs and a DVD documentary full of pain and longing, regret and sadness, all the while being unapologetic for being human and imperfect and flawed. Just an incredibly beautiful, honest record.

Thanks for everything, Jay. You did leave us way too soon...

Jay Bennett - Where Are You, Jay Bennett?

20220610_215113.jpg

Richard & Linda Thompson - Shoot Out The Lights

DBD1CB31-5B5A-4EC2-8A82-E22536CA14D5.jpeg

Play an album that someone else introduced you to

Wendy Rene - After Laughter Comes Tears

5F2EA759-0157-4EFD-84F5-D43EC9B5C475.jpeg

11 – Holy Ground – Time heals all wounds right? This one is about looking through the bad in the past to recognize the good that was and getting a bit of healing from it, so… Play an album with religious/spiritual themes

Sister Rosetta Tharpe - Gospel Train

CE15DAA2-9163-4074-B624-E2643CE98B2B.jpeg

07 – I Almost Do The “nah, should I, nah” meme of songs.
Play an album you picked up and put down a few times before ultimately buying it.

I didn't buy this reissue as at the time I really didn't care for the album. I had the CD and then an early pressing and that seemed to be good enough for me.

Over the years I found that the album is one of the bands best and had to get this 45 RPM version.

Doors – L.A. Woman
Analogue Productions – APP 75011-45, 1971/2012

2 x 45 RPM

Cut at The Mastering Lab
Pressed at Quality Record Pressings

85AKrs.jpg

oPBiVF.jpg

12 – Sad Beautiful Tragic A bit of a tough track about isolation, longing, and waiting for something that will never work out. Play an album you really wanted to love but, for whatever reason, cannot.

Herbie Hancock & Wayne Shorter - 1+1

I don’t dislike this album. I think I was just expecting more. It’s just Herbie on piano and Wayne on soprano sax, and that’s an interesting concept. There are definitely some great moments but overall I think it’s just “okay”.

7EBCB170-CE91-490F-A33F-9C2C7AA9E08C.jpeg

Back