June 2022 Vinyl Spin Challenge - Red (N&G's Version)

14 – Everything Has Changed The second of two duets on this album, this one with Ed Sheeran, is about that feeling of finding someone new who really rattles up your world.
Play an album that changed how you listen to music.

Growing up in rural NC in the age of rotary dial telephones and TV antennae strapped to the chimney, music outlets were pretty limited. I mainly relied on Rolling Stone, Creem and my friends for music discovery. Between the three, I got turned on to The Allman Brothers Band At Fillmore East. And they blew my mind. Their music was so complex and innovative. It was rock, it was blues, but it was much, much more.

It was jazz!

And I will always love The Allman Brothers for being my back door entrance into the creativity and improvisation of jazz. Big ups to Jaimoe who's credited as the conduit that infised the sound and attitude into the band.

This clip is the best possible example. At it's heart, Dreams is a jazz tune. In the hands of Duane, it's a jazz masterpiece. Gregg's vocal is almost inaudible here and that, in a weird way, enhances my point. Just let your brain hear the guitar as a sax. Worth your 10 minutes...

The Allman Brothers Band - At Fillmore East

20220614_002826.jpg

Last edited:
13 – The Lucky One – Sharing a title with an Allison Krauss song and is one of the rare Swift songs that appears to be about someone that isn’t in her personal circle in some way. For one of my money one of her most interesting tracks for the variance if nothing else. Also, 13 is a big Swiftie "number watch" - she often releases songs, merch, album announcements, etc. on the 13th of the month.
Play an album that had (either for you or others) substantial anticipation prior to its release.

Various – Fragments / Erik Satie

20220613_220050.jpg

I first learned of this release when the Monolink remix of "Gnossienne No. 1" was released in the final days of October last year; I listened to that track more than any other over the course of November. I've been chomping at the bit since then for the album's recent release and it has not disappointed. Bonus that my local happened to get it in. Extra bonus that I was able to snag the lone copy after having already streamed it a few dozen times!

14 – Everything Has Changed The second of two duets on this album, this one with Ed Sheeran, is about that feeling of finding someone new who really rattles up your world.

Play an “new to you” discovery from 2022.

I had some Joni queued up for the first theme but need a bit more oomph this morning. I understand the youth are very into these guys, really strong indie rock vibes to them and a big rising star.

Wallows - Singles Collection 2017-2020
image.jpg

12 – Sad Beautiful Tragic A bit of a tough track about isolation, longing, and waiting for something that will never work out.

Play a sad, beautiful, tragic album

The Caretaker - Everywhere at the End of Time, Stage Three

A hauntingly beautiful and depressing series of albums. It's been the longest since I listened to the third one so that's why I picked it over the others.
Screenshot_2022-06-14-10-44-24-69_4a808d795e22c35ddff3ce3b406eb72d.jpg

13 – The Lucky One – Sharing a title with an Allison Krauss song and is one of the rare Swift songs that appears to be about someone that isn’t in her personal circle in some way. For one of my money one of her most interesting tracks for the variance if nothing else. Also, 13 is a big Swiftie "number watch" - she often releases songs, merch, album announcements, etc. on the 13th of the month.

Play an album that had (either for you or others) substantial anticipation prior to its release.

Widespread Panic - Miss Kitty's Lounge

I was eagerly anticipating this and it kept getting delayed. Thankfully it sounds amazing and was worth the wait.
IMG20220614151742.jpg

Play an album by a retired female musician.

Tina Turner retired in 2009

Ike & Tina Turner - Workin' Together

02E6A78C-7D7E-4A4F-8AF4-294229B7BD15.jpeg

Wet Leg - S/T
86008C22-3CD7-40BA-9086-C43B1FA9E1AE.jpeg

Day 14: Everything Has Changed

Kendrick Lamar - good kid, m.A.A.d city

CFA3BD07-0A03-4EC2-90B4-D50A1BEAEE6E.jpeg

One of the first concept albums I’ve ever heard, this was the album that got me to start paying as much attention to the lyrics as the music itself. One of a number of reasons why this is my favourite album!

I've had Nonagon Infinity for a few years and streamed other albums of theirs, but never really 'got it'. Went to see King Gizzard on their US tour kickoff earlier this year, and everything just clicked. Working my way through the back catalog slowly but surely now.

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard ~ Flying Microtonal Banana

1655245541246.png

DRIVE-BY TRUCKERS A BLESSING AND A CURSE (2006 New West Records; 2020 reissue)
All Drive-By Truckers albums are new to me in 2022. I ended up picking up three from New West Records after talking about them in the April Vinyl Challenge thread with @avecigrec and @imtheocean. Then added this one a few weeks ago with the New West 40% off sale. This one is literally new to me right now as I listen while I type this.

IMG_2638.JPG

13 – The Lucky One – Sharing a title with an Allison Krauss song and is one of the rare Swift songs that appears to be about someone that isn’t in her personal circle in some way. For one of my money one of her most interesting tracks for the variance if nothing else. Also, 13 is a big Swiftie "number watch" - she often releases songs, merch, album announcements, etc. on the 13th of the month. Play an album that had (either for you or others) substantial anticipation prior to its release.

Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion

I remember being stoked for this release back in 2009. I had recently discovered Animal Collective and was a bit obsessed with them at the time. This album did not disappoint.

D0356A07-C565-4B32-BA37-A1B3C0DD788B.jpeg

14 – Everything Has Changed The second of two duets on this album, this one with Ed Sheeran, is about that feeling of finding someone new who really rattles up your world. Play an album that changed how you listen to music.

Kanye West - Graduation

I was pretty dismissive of hip-hop/rap until I heard The Roots in 2010. It was them that had me intrigued with the genre. Shortly after, a friend of mine let me borrow a CD copy of Graduation. That’s when the door was kicked open for me. From then on I started taking rap music seriously.

044B6E31-3DA3-45F4-86E0-DBA17C095435.jpeg

The Bogie Band featuring Joe Russo – The Prophets In The City
20220614_220843.jpg

I have an inbound record somewhere between the UK and me that I'd hoped would arrive in time for today's prompt but it didn't, so instead I have a great reason to listen to this again instead. I only made it a couple songs into my first listen on streaming before I reached out to my local to bring me in a copy - this album slaps! Definitely one of my top picks for the first half of the year.

15 – Starlight I was this many days old when I learned this was about Ethel and Bobby Kennedy. Go figure right? Given she says as much in the lyrics that just proves I don’t listen to lyrics that well, so

Play an album with a political connection or inspiration

I’ll admit that this isn’t my favorite SJ album. By no means bad. I just never really connected with the first half of the album so it puts it a bit lower than others. However, the back half is full of top flight songwriting and arrangements. The closer of this album has become a late set favorite for her as time has gone on. The Popmatters review of the album summarizes the song well and, I think, a bit about what we often hope for (and are disappointed by) from folks in this area of life

The album ends with “Jacqueline,” which finds her reflecting at the waters of the Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis Reservoir in Central Park. Jarosz grew up in Texas but is now a New Yorker. When she performed this song to a hometown crowd in Austin during this year’s South by Southwest, Jarosz explained that the reservoir is the place she goes to find peace. She communes with the former First Lady as a way of examining her personal thoughts and feelings. The song offers the hope that only the dead can provide, that there is still hope for the living.

Sarah Jarosz - Undercurrent

image.jpg

15 – Starlight I was this many days old when I learned this was about Ethel and Bobby Kennedy. Go figure right? Given she says as much in the lyrics that just proves I don’t listen to lyrics that well, so

PETER TOSH EQUAL RIGHTS
(1977 Columbia, canadian pressing)

IMG_2639.JPG

"“Murder Most Foul” is about the assassination of JFK. But it is also about what constitutes an event, and about how an event takes on meaning beyond itself. At still another level, it is about the haunting of America, about the role of spirit in the national life."

Bob Dylan ~ Rough & Rowdy Ways (Displaying the back cover for obvious reasons)

1655317392152.png

DRIVE-BY TRUCKERS A BLESSING AND A CURSE
(2006 New West Records; 2020 reissue)
All Drive-By Truckers albums are new to me in 2022. I ended up picking up three from New West Records after talking about them in the April Vinyl Challenge thread with @avecigrec and @imtheocean. Then added this one a few weeks ago with the New West 40% off sale. This one is literally new to me right now as I listen while I type this.

View attachment 142473
Space City is such an emotionally devastating song. One of Cooleys best.

Back