June 2022 Vinyl Spin Challenge - Red (N&G's Version)

Day 9: Stay Stay Stay

Ghost Funk Orchestra - An Ode to Escapism

0FDBE386-27D5-48F8-865A-12F2F8A3BDDF.jpeg

I don’t regularly use music to escape any negative emotions I’m feeling or getting from something else (rather I play music that enhances those feelings). But the few occasions I’ve sought that escapism, this was a great record to do it with (as the title suggests).

side note: I took this photo with the lights off (as the Introduction told me to do).

08 – We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together

I couldn’t believe how fast boylife jumped to my top album list last year. Ultimately I think I assigned gelato and honorable mention, but the music holds and despite the *less than great* business practices, the-company-who-shall-not-be-named put together a really cool little package for his debut.

boylife — gelato

image.jpg

07 – I Almost Do
Play an album you picked up and put down a few times before ultimately buying it.

Jimmy Eat World - Bleed American

949ACBC0-F465-41BF-9093-E184D2919C7F.jpeg

This is one record that I’ve seen appear in stores and I’d skip on it because I’d figure I’d just get it another day and then it’d go out of print for a while. This cycle repeated a few times but this past month I finally snagged it. In the early 2000s I thought Bright Eyes was “emo” but then someone argued that no, “true emo” needed lots of time signature changes so when I heard the title track from this album, I figured that’s exactly what they meant.

Day 8 - We Are Never Ever Ever Getting Back Together
(Fun fact before this song came out I was a HUGE swift fan, I hated this song so much that it started my turn against her lol)

77D05F3E-D59F-4DAB-847C-E0217B4FC3DB.jpeg

Spellling - The Turning Wheel

Definitely think this a pretty indie album, it’s definitely cool!

07 – I Almost Do The “nah, should I, nah” meme of songs.
Play an album you picked up and put down a few times before ultimately buying it.
Or
Play the first part of a double album

08 – We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together
– “And you would hide away and find your peace of mind / with some indie record that’s much cooler than mine” – it’s really low hanging fruit.
Play a really cool Indie record.
Or
Play the second half of the double album from Day 7.

Yo La Tengo - I Am Not Afraid of You and I Will Beat Your Ass

Covering both prompts from both days by playing both discs of this Yo La Tengo album that I finally picked up after having it in my discogs cart for a couple of months and passing it by in the store a while back. Yo La Tengo is practically the definition of cool indie rock.

IMG_20220609_171810111.jpg

09 – Stay Stay Stay - Cutesy as heck and definitely a bit of a daydream about one of those ideal relationships, which after like the last eight tracks is a nice change.
Play an album that just tends to stay (stay stay) on the turntable after a spin

Always difficult to dislodge an all-time favorite from the platter...

Lou Reed - Rock N Roll Animal

20191027_004827.jpg

09 – Stay Stay Stay - Cutesy as heck and definitely a bit of a daydream about one of those ideal relationships, which after like the last eight tracks is a nice change.

Play a palette cleanser (the music you go to when you just need to take away all the emotions of the world)

I alluded to this earlier but my cat has been sick. For months really but it ramped up in the last two weeks. Today, he let us know it was time. It’s not a day I’m gonna put anything on the table as we struggle through it. With that said, my intended choice really fits. So, just for a minute…

Let’s Be Still (The Head and the Heart)

Play a palette cleanser (the music you go to when you just need to take away all the emotions of the world)

Elbow - Flying Dream 1

Their pandemic album is also non-stop mellow beauty, perfect for decompressing.

IMG_20220609_181710606.jpg

05 – All Too Well

This is generally considered by critics and fans to be on the Mount Rushmore of Swift’s songs (Buzzfeed and Rolling Stone had it at #1, Vulture at #2 for instance). A brutal, meticulously detailed, recounting of a breakup that would send nearly anyone into hiding after hearing it if it were about them. The ten minute version will come up later but the standard five and change also works quite well too.

Play an album with a great breakup song

Welp, I'm sad to learn that one of my favorite bands is breaking up - Reigning Sound
Also, Greg Cartwright writes great break up songs. He's one hurt dude...or portrays one really well.
So this post is like, a double break up post.

IMG_1245.JPG

08 – We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together – “And you would hide away and find your peace of mind / with some indie record that’s much cooler than mine” – it’s really low hanging fruit.

Play a really cool Indie record.

Tortoise - Millions Now Living Will Never Die

Yep, definitely a really cool Indie record

20220609_213804.jpg

06 – 22 – You know this is kind of jarring after listening to All Too Well and makes this countdown counting so let’s keep this one simple folks

Play an album you loved when you were 22

I remember when I first heard the Pumpkins. It was Bury Me, on a Canadian station that had a fun, eclectic format from 10 pm to 2 am. The show was called The Edge, and they played Fishbone, Tragically Hip, and so much other stuff that I can't think of, that no one else was playing. So anyway I bought Gish on CD soon after and was blown away. Chamberlin has so many great moments on this record...just fantastic drumming. So yeah, I played the crap out of this when I was 22.

IMG_1240.JPG

Emile Mosseri – Minari (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
20220609_205043.jpg

I have a solid handful of records that work for this theme and this happens to be the one I most wanted to hear. I stumbled into this one thanks to Stupify - wasn't familiar with the movie or Emile Mosseri before clicking blind. Took quite some time thereafter to track down a copy for a reasonable price - I'd probably streamed it 50 times or more by then. I love it so much. Calms and stills me every time.

10 – The Last Time – At this point, this was a rarity in the Swift catalog – a true duet. I think it’s her first male-female collaboration on a mainline Swift album (she did have some features elsewhere) and man does it have a lot of Gary Lightbody on it.

Play an album that’s hitting the sale or trade-in or PIF box after this spin

Slow Dancing Society - My Blue Heaven

16548557050506366165019457037582.jpg

This one sucks. Easy listening in lieu of the above average ambient (in general) he has made. Do not recommend.
It was only $14 shipped on Bandcamp so, there's that. It does have a matching 2xLP colorway going for it.

16548558702777739183323216220390.jpg

10 – The Last Time – At this point, this was a rarity in the Swift catalog – a true duet. I think it’s her first male-female collaboration on a mainline Swift album (she did have some features elsewhere) and man does it have a lot of Gary Lightbody on it.

Play an album that’s hitting the sale or trade-in or PIF box after this spin

Been debating this one for awhile. The artwork is great, the variant is great, but besides Sing Along this album is not one that I've connected with and never put it on intentionally. Gonna hit the trade in bin, unless someone wants to make me an offer...

Sturgill Simpson ~ Sound & Fury (VMP edition)

1654879273577.png

Day 8 - We Are Never Ever Ever Getting Back Together
(Fun fact before this song came out I was a HUGE swift fan, I hated this song so much that it started my turn against her lol)

View attachment 141971

Spellling - The Turning Wheel

Definitely think this a pretty indie album, it’s definitely cool!
This probably says something about me that we don't need to explore, but if this cover was a Rorschach test then it looks like privates to me.

Back