June 2022 Vinyl Spin Challenge - Red (N&G's Version)

07 – I Almost Do The “nah, should I, nah” meme of songs.

Play an album you picked up and put down a few times before ultimately buying it.

Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures

I had done this with the Joy Division classic at least four times.

If I really really had to make a list of top five favorite songs, New Dawn Fades would be on it. Glad you finally picked it up!

07 – I Almost Do - Play an album you picked up and put down a few times before ultimately buying it.

I'm one of those people who grits my teeth with how overplayed some artists and songs are at the height of their popularity. Then years later I finally give them a chance and think to myself "Damn, this is good." Catching her episode on HBO's Music Box also had me coming away impressed and appreciative of her career.

Alanis Morissette - Jagged Little Pill

PXL_20220607_173056486.jpg

Day 7: I Almost Do

V/A - Brighter Days Ahead

View attachment 141734

The double disc comp of Colemine Records singles they digitally released during the pandemic. The 1st disc (which I’m playing today) is from Colemine artists while the 2nd disc is from their Karma Chief imprint.

Ha! I never realized it was split between Colemine and Karma Chief artists.

05 – All Too Well

This is generally considered by critics and fans to be on the Mount Rushmore of Swift’s songs (Buzzfeed and Rolling Stone had it at #1, Vulture at #2 for instance). A brutal, meticulously detailed, recounting of a breakup that would send nearly anyone into hiding after hearing it if it were about them. The ten minute version will come up later but the standard five and change also works quite well too.

Play an album with a great breakup song

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Long After Dark

You Got Lucky is a great breakup song, or on the brink of a breakup song.
20220607_210406.jpg

06 – 22 – You know this is kind of jarring after listening to All Too Well and makes this countdown counting so let’s keep this one simple folks

Play an album you loved when you were 22

The Decemberists - Castaways and Cutouts

22 was sort of the apex of my being in the scene of just an avalanche of awesome music and bands, of which the Decemberists were one of them.
20220607_215150.jpg

Play an album you picked up and put down a few times before ultimately buying it.

Darkside - Spirial

The online equivalent where I was interested, decided against, almost used store credit, and decided against. Eventually picked it up, don't remember what convinced me to do so finally.

20220607_224751.jpg

05 – All Too Well
This is generally considered by critics and fans to be on the Mount Rushmore of Swift’s songs (Buzzfeed and Rolling Stone had it at #1, Vulture at #2 for instance). A brutal, meticulously detailed, recounting of a breakup that would send nearly anyone into hiding after hearing it if it were about them. The ten minute version will come up later but the standard five and change also works quite well too.
Play an album with a great breakup song

Dr. Hook & The Medicine Show – Sloppy Seconds
20220607_194750.jpg

I love the spread of this album from hilarity to heartbreak, and one of my favourite songs on it, "The Things I Didn't Say," happens to be a damn fine breakup song.

06 – 22 – You know this is kind of jarring after listening to All Too Well and makes this countdown counting so let’s keep this one simple folks
Play an album you loved when you were 22 (if you’re not 22 yet…I’m jealous but also play something you think you’ll like when you are)

Blackalicious – Blazing Arrow
20220607_202658.jpg

Released a couple of months after my 22nd birthday I loved this album when I was 22 and have continued to do so for the 20 years since. So much so that it occupies the #1 spot on my all-time favourite hip hop albums list.

08 – We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together – “And you would hide away and find your peace of mind / with some indie record that’s much cooler than mine” – it’s really low hanging fruit.

Play a really cool Indie record.

King Hannah - I'm Not Sorry, I Was Just Being Me (signed)

16546837421182644776151877171838.jpg

One of my faves this year. Saw them two Tuesdays ago at my preferred Portland venue. This one blends worlds of slowcore, Americana, trip-hop, and indie rock. There is clear influence from Portishead here, noted on "Foolius Caesar" and "A Well-Made Woman" in particular.

08 – We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together – “And you would hide away and find your peace of mind / with some indie record that’s much cooler than mine” – it’s really low hanging fruit.

Play a really cool Indie record

This is one of my top albums of the year so far.

Plantamos - Razones Para Vivir
Screenshot_20220608-063453.jpg

Day 7: I Almost Do

V/A - Brighter Days Ahead

View attachment 141734

The double disc comp of Colemine Records singles they digitally released during the pandemic. The 1st disc (which I’m playing today) is from Colemine artists while the 2nd disc is from their Karma Chief imprint.

I love this comp, a tiny bit miffed I didn't choose it! Nice choice

And really great choices to everyone, it's been a tough week or so in my life and this has given me a lot of cool things to look at, memories to share, and some life. :)

Play a really cool Indie record

This may shock folks, but I am a NERD, and as such in high school and college was really well versed in the realms of unrequited love/affection/etc. I had a great history of pining for people who were nice enough to be friendly with me and smart enough to not want to be involved with this mess known as teenage/early adulthood me (trust me, I would've been a garbage partner at the time).

Looking back on that for this topic, the only reason I bring it up is because a lot of the women I grew these feelings for liked some very specific music. Not this album per se, but the Jack's Mannequin Something Corporate type indie rock. Even when I was ready to be a decent person and started online dating...Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness. As such, I saw a used copy of this in a local recently and figured my current GF, who missed her pop punk fandom calling, would also like this. She did. :)

Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness - Upside Down Flowers.

PXL_20220608_134144792.MP.jpg

Play the first part of a double album

Manic Street Preachers -Generation Terrorists (Drastic Plastic reissue, mastered by KG)
Wonderfully derivative, Kevin Gray did an awesome job of remastering it. PLAY IT LOUD!!
View attachment 141721

I just saw this got a fresh repress, so copy ordered!

Play a really cool Indie record.
AND
Play the second half of the double album from Day 7.

ScalyHalfGuineapig-size_restricted.gif

FRANKIE AND THE WITCH FINGERS ZAM
(2019 Greenway Records)
Some fun indie psych rock to start things off. Sure, it's cool too.

IMG_2606.JPG

LED ZEPPELIN
P H Y S I C A L G R A F F I T I (1975 Swan Song; 1979 Japanese pressing)
...and now for LP2 of the record played yesterday.

IMG_2607.JPG

Drive-By Truckers ‎– Southern Rock Opera
20220608_091624.jpg

For being one of the more important albums in the DBT catalogue, it's funny how long it took me to finally follow through all the way out the door with this one. Other than the newest live and studio albums (and the "greatest hits") I have their entire catalogue on CD in the car, so it wasn't a matter of not knowing whether I liked it or not, simply a matter of always talking myself into something else knowing this one would stay readily available. Finally nabbed it during a big trade-in trip a couple of months ago and I'm very glad I did.

Back