June 2022 Vinyl Spin Challenge - Red (N&G's Version)

08 – We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together – “And you would hide away and find your peace of mind / with some indie record that’s much cooler than mine” – it’s really low hanging fruit.

Play a really cool Indie record.

Horsegirl - Versions Of Modern Performance

0226F127-4B57-436F-A921-1766CA069CB7.jpeg
I decided to go with a new cool Indie record as opposed to something that is more widely acknowledged. This new Horsegirl album rips and for bonus cool points the album features Sonic Youth guitarist Lee Ranaldo on a track.

08 – We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together - Play a really cool Indie record

no disrespect to Kamasi Washington but that first half yesterday was pretty long and exhausting (also I don't think I realized how noisy that pressing is), so I knew I wanted to opt for the "really cool Indie record" route... but had no idea what to play.

@Turbo inspired me to spin some Frankie, though "ZAM" is the only album of theirs I do not have on vinyl (I'm waiting for the hopefully inevitable color repress), so I'll spin this one because it fucking rips!

FRANKIE AND THE WITCH FINGERS - Monsters Eating People Eating Monsters
PXL_20220608_181852220.NIGHT.jpg

08 – We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together – “And you would hide away and find your peace of mind / with some indie record that’s much cooler than mine” – it’s really low hanging fruit.

Horsegirl - Versions Of Modern Performance

View attachment 141826
I decided to go with a new cool Indie record as opposed to something that is more widely acknowledged. This new Horsegirl album rips and for bonus cool points the album features Sonic Youth guitarist Lee Ranaldo on a track.

Still meaning to listen to this.

Kristin Gundred (Grand Ole Party)/ Dee Dee (Dum Dum Girls) / Kristin Kontrol (Kristin Kontrol) has a great presence regardless of the project she's been involved with. Pity her projects are so sporadic.

This particular one is filled with pop hooks and cool delivery....

Dum Dum Girls ~ Too True

1654714430862.png

King Hannah - I'm Not Sorry, I Was Just Being Me (signed)

View attachment 141777

One of my faves this year. Saw them two Tuesdays ago at my preferred Portland venue. This one blends worlds of slowcore, Americana, trip-hop, and indie rock. There is clear influence from Portishead here, noted on "Foolius Caesar" and "A Well-Made Woman" in particular.
I listened to this a few times yesterday based on someones profile post. Excellent album.

08 – We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together - Play a really cool Indie record

no disrespect to Kamasi Washington but that first half yesterday was pretty long and exhausting (also I don't think I realized how noisy that pressing is), so I knew I wanted to opt for the "really cool Indie record" route... but had no idea what to play.

@Turbo inspired me to spin some Frankie, though "ZAM" is the only album of theirs I do not have on vinyl (I'm waiting for the hopefully inevitable color repress), so I'll spin this one because it fucking rips!

FRANKIE AND THE WITCH FINGERS - Monsters Eating People Eating Monsters
View attachment 141830

They found some stock from the first press of ZAM on black vinyl at the Greenway Records website, if you don't want to wait for a repress.

They found some stock from the first press of ZAM on black vinyl at the Greenway Records website, if you don't want to wait for a repress.
I might, but I know that a fun, new color variant will be announced the moment I buy it on black. all their other albums have been repressed at this point, so am thinking/hoping a new ZAM is coming next

08 – We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together – “And you would hide away and find your peace of mind / with some indie record that’s much cooler than mine” – it’s really low hanging fruit. Play a really cool Indie record.

Preoccupations - Self-titled

1B908276-508A-4867-8AA8-575DDFD5EE1B.jpeg

Day 7 - I Almost Do

A52495B0-90D7-4DA6-A885-DCFEE03205A7.jpeg

Kate Bush - The Kick Inside

Wasn’t sure if I wanted to grab this since I already own different copy of it. But I do prefer this cover to the one I have and I didn’t want to leave the record store empty handed so I finally decided to just get it

Calliope Musicals – Color / Sweat

20220608_181759.jpg

09 – Stay Stay Stay - Cutesy as heck and definitely a bit of a daydream about one of those ideal relationships, which after like the last eight tracks is a nice change.

Play a palette cleanser (the music you go to when you just need to take away all the emotions of the world)

Hiroshi Yoshimura - Music for Nine Post Cards

16547633026451331504607471440164.jpg

Truly perfect ambient. The use of empty space is so gracious and delicate. It could soundtrack a nippy cold winter, beautiful forests sans carnivorous fauna, one contemplating the gravity of their past actions, and a litany of other scenarios or what have you.

“I will be happy if, when you enjoy this album, the surrounding scenery can be seen in a slightly different light.”
- Hiroshi Yoshimura​

09 – Stay Stay Stay - Cutesy as heck and definitely a bit of a daydream about one of those ideal relationships, which after like the last eight tracks is a nice change.

Play a palette cleanser (the music you go to when you just need to take away all the emotions of the world)

Something about Sam Beams vocal delivery and repetitive fingerpicking on his acoustic stuff always makes me drift away.

Iron & Wine ~ Around the Well

1654791742622.png

Bonny Doon - Longwave

EB57F1EC-E747-4370-B911-288492F3149B.jpeg
This album is full of lazy hazy guitar licks. It’s chillax to the max.

09 – Stay Stay Stay - Cutesy as heck and definitely a bit of a daydream about one of those ideal relationships, which after like the last eight tracks is a nice change. Play a palette cleanser (the music you go to when you just need to take away all the emotions of the world)

Sonny Red - Out of the Blue

This album has been my go-to lately for when I need to relax.

754AFF56-5892-42F6-A273-E0A1792B6017.jpeg

Back