June 2022 Vinyl Spin Challenge - Red (N&G's Version)

25 – Message in a Bottle – When I first heard this song it felt like the kind of song you put in a cheesy feel-good movie scene. Other reviewers were reminded of Carly Rae Jepsen which, well, don’t we all wish we could be Carly?
Play something form an English artist in honor of Sting

Laura Mvula – The Dreaming Room
View attachment 144177

Truth be told, I can't stand Sting - so playing something "in honor" of him seems weird, but I do like many English artists and Laura Mvula is one I haven't listened to in a while, so here we go!
Only thing I liked Sting in...
images

26 – I Bet You Think About Me

This one was penned near my neck of the woods in Foxborough, Massachusetts at Lori McKenna’s house and she grabbed Chris Stapleton to feature on it. Two fantastic names. It also had that great little bitter vibe in it that a lot of the great Taylor songs do.

Play an album that has elements of scorn or resentment flowing through it

Wilco - Sky Blue Sky

Hate It Here is definitely resentful and there are other runes that share these somewhat dark feelings.
20220628_215713.jpg

27 – Forever Winter
This felt like such an odd choice for the expanded album as it’s so distinctly not a song like most of the others. It’s not about a romance, it’s not about resentment – it’s about fear and panic in many ways. It may be a bit on the simplistic/basic side for the material, but a mental health awareness / friendship song is an interesting turn on this album.

Play an album that has a theme of exploring mental/behavioral health

Angel Olsen - Big Time

An album about finally becoming oneself.

IMG_20220628_190308924_HDR.jpg

This one was penned near my neck of the woods in Foxborough, Massachusetts at Lori McKenna’s house and she grabbed Chris Stapleton to feature on it. Two fantastic names. It also had that great little bitter vibe in it that a lot of the great Taylor songs do.

Zeal & Ardor – Wake Of A Nation
20220628_195015.jpg

Written and released in direct response to George Floyd's murder this EP contains a healthy dose of well-deserved resentment for the continual violence inflicted on black bodies by police.

27 – Forever Winter

This felt like such an odd choice for the expanded album as it’s so distinctly not a song like most of the others. It’s not about a romance, it’s not about resentment – it’s about fear and panic in many ways. It may be a bit on the simplistic/basic side for the material, but a mental health awareness / friendship song is an interesting turn on this album.
Play an album that you’ll often spin in the winter (or when you’re in the dumps)

Mary Lattimore – Silver Ladders

20220628_201150.jpg

Absolutely one of the best impulse purchases I made during my time with VMP. I sampled very little before going full Tina and haven't regretted it for a moment. This album warms me, soothes me and brings me joy - easily one of the top five most spun in my collection.

27 – Forever Winter

One of the best accounts of going nutty. Still hold up 51 years later...

Alice Cooper - Love It To Death

20220628_231950.jpg

28 – Run
Hey, it’s an Ed Sheeran sighting. Apparently, it was between this and Everything Has Changed for placement on the album proper and Everything Has Changed won out.
Play an album of an artist you have a lot of…that you don’t usually end up spinning.

Welp, looks like I have 21 Van Morrison records on the shelf. Haven't really been in the mood for him over the last few years as he became more and more of a nut peddling conspiracy theories regarding the pandemic.

Van notoriously hates tapers, so let's play a bootleg live recording. That'll show him...

Van Morrison - Live In Milano 11-6-83

20220628_233618.jpg

29 – The Very First Night
To me this is one of those songs that I’d probably like but then I remember another song with a similar enough theme (albeit a different overall conclusion) and just want to play that instead. No offense to The Very First Night but Supercut just exists still.
Play a true debut release of an artist (first album, single, etc.)

The debut, the follow up, the farewell, all in one. When Dave Grohl gets into something, he really, really gets into something.

The hidden track. What a riff. What a vocal by JB...

Probot - S/T

20220629_011505.jpg

To me this is one of those songs that I’d probably like but then I remember another song with a similar enough theme (albeit a different overall conclusion) and just want to play that instead. No offense to The Very First Night but Supercut just exists still.

Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works 85-92

1656485068472403198922048890163.jpg

One of my top50 all time. Among the most beautiful auditory tapestries of not just electronic music, but in music's history of evolution as well. It can serve as a fantastic introductory record into widening one's tastes, with the ambient techno, ambient, and IDM genres being represented here. My favorite record store Musique Plastique, a record store specializing in the avantgarde, esoteric, and leftfield side of art, carries a few copies of this at all times. It is one of only a few classics they willingly stock in the shelves.

Woke up this morning feeling pretty gnarly and didn't want to just go back to sleep for 30 minutes or so. Combed through the new buys box and found this which fits - lighter sounding, easy flowing, late-80s country/pop that does all the little things well with some great backing/supporting talent. Right time to throw this one out as she starts up the work day

Shawn Colvin - Steady On
PXL_20220629_122330820.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20220629_122330820.jpg
    PXL_20220629_122330820.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 0

To me this is one of those songs that I’d probably like but then I remember another song with a similar enough theme (albeit a different overall conclusion) and just want to play that instead. No offense to The Very First Night but Supercut just exists still. Play a true debut release of an artist (first album, single, etc.)

The Band - Music from Big Pink

6968FCBD-E13F-432D-9B5A-B5411DCDF83A.jpeg

27 – Forever Winter

Spiritualized - Let It Come Down

A common theme in Spiritualized's music.
20220629_122516.jpg

Arctic Monkeys ~ Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not

1656523009271.png

25 – Message in a Bottle – When I first heard this song it felt like the kind of song you put in a cheesy feel-good movie scene. Other reviewers were reminded of Carly Rae Jepsen which, well, don’t we all wish we could be Carly?

Play something form an English artist in honor of Sting

Squid - Bright Green Field
5AD9A1A5-607E-4A87-9F96-AD8201ED2C5D.jpeg

Brixton’s Windmill scene has produced some of the most exciting Rock music currently going.

Morgan Wade - Reckless

73A9D85D-2AE8-4862-B843-ED73ABE0B1DC.jpeg
I feel like both Lori McKenna and Morgan Wade share an an amazing ability grab a listener with their gripping storytelling and and yeah she has resentment in spades.

27 – Forever Winter

or

Play an album that you’ll often spin in the winter (or when you’re in the dumps)

Purple Mountains - Purple Mountains
2B9AA1BA-4AC4-4632-9B24-21766070B9F9.jpeg

Sadly, this album ended up being Dave Berman’s suicide note. Also, it features a beautiful song about Winter as well…

28 – Run
Hey, it’s an Ed Sheeran sighting. Apparently, it was between this and Everything Has Changed for placement on the album proper and Everything Has Changed won out.
Play an album of an artist you have a lot of…that you don’t usually end up spinning.

TOM PETTY AND THE HEARTBREAKERS LONG AFTER DARK
(1982 Backstreet Records; 2017 reissue)
Have six Tom Petty records, plus the 4LP hits box set. This one hits the turntable the least. It's not well liked, but I think it's still a better album than what the general consensus thinks.

IMG_2721.JPG

28 – Run

Play a fast-paced album (ideally with at least one song that you’d find on a running playlist)

Girl Talk - Feed The Animals

A466D9DE-A746-476F-A799-05B77B0AC763.jpeg
Girl Talk was weekend party music but I’ve gotten older and less likely party the music transitioned nicely into workout music. I fucking hate cardio so anything at 120+ BPM that can keep me interested is a winner in my book.

Back