June 2021 Vinyl Spin Challenge: 🌈☀️Holidaze 🎶🪐

Day 15: Smile Power Day 😃💪

The Beach Boys - SMiLE

C4C85AFB-B494-4C60-B06D-C9EDE1B2B7AD.jpeg
Yeah, you’re all gonna think this decision was easy but it really wasn’t. I had to choose between this and Smiley Smile. SMiLE is a much better album overall but I also listen to it much more frequently than Smiley Smile. Ultimately, the whimsical “Smile Store” cover art plus my desire to hear “Cabinessence”, (which didn’t show up on a studio album 20/20 was released in 1969. An LP I have sadly have not yet acquired…but I digress) eventually won out but it was back and forth for a good while this morning.

Last edited:
Day 15: Smile Power Day 😃💪

I really should plan ahead, I didn't realize today was Smile day when I played Smile Month as an extra spin last night. Thankfully the Lips are to the rescue.

"It's like I never had to see it in your eyes or feel it, I could tell when you smile"

Flaming Lips ~ Clouds Taste Metallic

1623795945581.png

June 15
National Nature Photography Day - I love nature photography, show off your nature. 🐍🦫🦊🐦

When I first made this challenge I was being a bit silly with the emojis. I'm not a luddite, but these days technology confuses me. The blue bird🐦 changes somehow to a cardinal 🐦when it is copy/pasted. 🤷‍♂️ Oh well, it just reminded me of this record...

Kishi Bashi - Omoiyari

PXL_20210615_223647871.jpg

EDIT: and of course now the bluebird shows up! LOL
🐦

Smile Power Day

Sun Ra & His Outer Space Arkestra - Celestial Love
20210615_164916.jpg

Charlie Chaplin's "Smile" is one of my absolute all-time favourite songs and June Tyson's rendition, found here, is one of my absolute all-time favourite versions. Naturally, it's perfect for today.

(...and if I had Janelle Monáe's rendition on wax I'd be spinning that next!)

june 15 - national nature photography day

046EED6C-C9D0-4D7B-8BF4-82380FB336C6.jpeg

pearl jam - gigaton

PaulNicklen-FineArt-IceWaterfall.jpg

"Arctic waterfalls sprout from the Nordaustlandet ice cap as it gushes high volumes of meltwater – a striking reminder of this icy ecosystem's fragility. Even though this image was taken just 600 miles from the North Pole, the temperature hovered in the high 60's (ºF). Thanks to climate change, the Arctic could be completely devoid of sea ice during the summer months within the next 10 to 20 years."

June 15 National Nature Photography Day

Take all the pictures you can, while you can. We've been killing nature for a long time, never more intensely than the last few years.

"It's just sort of an environmental thing. Not strictly environmental, but mostly. It's basically about how we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is ... or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it."
- Chris Cornell

Soundgarden - Louder Than Love

20201124_233126.jpg

Back