June 2020 Record Challenge Thread (The RAFFLE continues!)

Day 4 - Hype up an Artist that comes from a city/state/country you are or have lived.

You, Me and Everyone We Know - Some Things Don't Wash Out

Represent the DMV! I think some of these guys were from Baltimore and others from DC, but regardless, my area haha Plus, my wife and I are called out in the thank yous of the vinyl insert (we didn't know them or do anything special, just supported the vinyl kickstarter haha), which is pretty cool. When this album came out I was still pretty deep into the pop punk scene and this one really caught my attention immediately. It was different from most everything else in that scene and was great. Ben's cheeky lyrics were awesome, hilarious and raw, and the use of brass only made me like it even more. Still a favorite of mine!

Thursday (04) – Hype up an Artist that comes from a city/state/country you are or have lived.

North Carolina produced three of the greatest jazz musicians of all time. Who'd a thunk it.

Thelonious Monk born 10-10-1917 in Rocky Mount, NC.
John Coltrane born 9-23-1926 in Hamlet, NC.
Nina Simone born 2-21-1933 in Tryon, NC.

Not sure how much more I can hype them, but they're pretty good.

Here's one with a two-fer...

Thelonious Monk Featuring John Coltrane - Monk's Music

20200604_000659.jpg

Last edited:
Day 3 - Childhood, first encounter with music

My parents ran mostly country, but I think anything they listened to other than that came from watching shows like Dick Clark. I remember a lot of these being played, and this album was one of theirs.

I think my real start/connection was in second grade and hearing Queen's Another One Bites The Dust. I remember listening to that all the time.

E0A2D3AE-697F-4D69-BE5B-9F15F9052AA3.jpeg107855C4-61D7-49F5-BF3B-F129DDAA50D4.jpeg

Day (03) – Childhood: Your first encounter with music
Mercedes Sosa - Mercedes Sosa En Argentina (1982)

IMG_20200604_115052_984.jpg

My childhood memories about music include The Beatles, Mercedes Sosa and some awful/weird music from the '70s. It was the music that my mom used to listen to.
This is not the Sosa's album that we had; we had one album and one compilation, but that compilation had the version of "Solo le pido a Dios" that is here.
This album is just amazing. It was recorded live during the concerts she gave in Argentina after being exiled and banned by the dictatorship for four years. The songs are great, her performance is impeccable as always, but the story surrounding this album makes it even more special.

Day 4 - Artist from home

I typically pick Violent Femmes or Bon Iver when this theme comes up in the challenges, but I’ll mix things up here. I’ll go with Butch Vig from Madison. He famously produced this record, and the early sessions were recorded right in town as well.

6A724D4C-6E3C-4367-9971-626453886020.jpeg

Day 4 - Hype an artist from a place you've lived

Eyelids - The Accidental Falls

I'm kinda shocked this band isn't bigger. Led by John Moen of The Decemberists and Chris Slusarenko of Sprinkler/Boston Spaceships/GBV, this power pop-ish group writes great melodies and songs. The band is like a super group of the Portland music scene, and the shows turn into everyone in the area up on stage. This album was produced by Peter Buck.

3D900E9B-B0E8-4E7B-B6FF-524AD46D80FD.jpeg
This song is from a previous album, but great too!

Day 4 - artist from home town/region

Counting Crows - August and Everything After

ECF8FE7E-3A1C-4B1B-A91E-28BC9586A330.jpeg

Step out the front door like a ghost
Into the fog where no one notices the
Contrast of white on white.
And in between the moon and you the angels
Get a better view of the crumbling
Difference between wrong and right.
I walk in the air, between the rain,
Through myself and back again where? I don't know

The opening lyrics of the first song on Counting Crows debut album hit like a ton of bricks. The rest of the album doesn’t disappoint, either. The band formed in Berkeley but the entire Bay Area claim them, and I’ll say their first three albums are near perfect.

This is the Analogue Productions 2LP x 45rpm edition that just sounds fantastic

Wednesday (03) – Childhood: Your first encounter with music.

Probably not my first "encounter" with music, since my folks were active choir singers. This is probably my first memory of spinning this vinyl at my grandparent's house.

Glen Campbell - Rhinestone Cowboy

IMG_20200604_114207.jpg

Day 4: Hype up an Artist that comes from a city/state/country you are or have lived

This band features San Diego's favorite late night gas station attendant and a drummer who went to high school with a friend of mine. They seem to have done pretty well for themselves.

I picked this album particularly as when they came through town to tour for Backspacer in 2009, both Ed and Matt brought up their Guitar / Drum instructors from when they lived here to help play on Little Wing, which was just a great moment.

Pearl Jam ~ Backspacer

IMG_7310.jpg

Day 4: Hype up an Artist that comes from a city/state/country you are or have lived.

Obviously the Pacific Northwest and (Western Washington in Particular) has many phenomenal artists to choose from, the music Scenes in Seattle (to the North) an Olympia (to the South) are legendary. Unfortunately Tacoma does not carry the same cultural cache. That being said, I still wanted to give props to a local project that I think is phenomenal and deserves some dap. ILLFIGHTYOU is a rap group made up of three phenomenal MC’s; Khris P (who also produces), UGLYFRANK, and EvergreenOne. They were starting to gain a bit of national notoriety about 5 years ago but never quite took off like I had assumed they would. Still they are amazing artist and put on killer live shows. Unfortunately they do not have anything pressed on vinyl so (for shame) I am listening to their self-titled mix tape and UGLYFRANK’s Bobby Hill EP instead.
ILLFIGHTYOU - ILLFIGHTYOU
39F3BC00-81FD-4A39-96AD-B9C4B9ADD0BE.jpeg

UGLYFRANK - Bobby Hill EP
2B661822-64A6-4C4E-8B3C-53BDE7953269.jpeg

Day 3: Childhood: Your first encounter with music.

My parents weren't big into music, apart from some bad church music, when I was a kid. Most of the music I remember hearing as a young kid was either that or Boney M.'s and John Denver's Christmas records (both still bangers) which unfortunately I don't have at my apartment. Only in high school, after I discovered them independently, did I bond with my dad over Simon & Garfunkel and Cat Stevens and find out that my mom's favourite band when she was young was the Guess Who. So I'll go with the first big music revelation of my life, after a few months of listening to some of my older brother's emo albums, reading about this and picking it up in 8th grade. It was stuck in my Discman for months, and in the last year or so I've rediscovered my love for this band and this album in particular.

The Clash - London Calling

IMG_20200604_133820.jpg

Back