June 2019 Vinyl Challenge

Day 3 - You Move Me

This was hard for a few reasons:
1. Someone already said Jeff Buckley, and I didn't want to double-dip
2. I already picked a Jeremy Enigk related release for another post
3. I don't own the Etta James album I was going to pick on vinyl... regretfully... YET.

So I am going with something that makes my hair stand up all over every time I hear it, particularly "Joga" and "Pluto." There has never been a bad note that escaped her mouth.

My pick: Björk's Homogenic.

Day 3 Moving Voice.jpg

Day 3 - You move me

This record is stunning but the opener (Into my arms) and People ain't no good get me every single time.
I saw him live last year and I could not help but cry when Into my arms came on.
View attachment 4487
I really need to pick this up, beautiful record and fitting in red. The one that really pushed me into the love for Nick Cave. One of the best live too.

Hello!
List below are the topics for this month's vinyl spin challenge.

Parameters: Not many
This isn't a contest or competition and you can't/won't be eliminated
Interpret each topic in your own way
Try to play something that hasn't been played
If you get behind you can catch up or just post on the day you jump in or jump back in
Don't be shy about telling stories about your selection, and yet don't feel you have to elaborate on anything you post
Have fun!

Day 1 - Who Are You?
Welcome to the June challenge! Play a record from your go-to genre

Day 2 - Off and Running
It's not always easy for a band or artist to put out a second record, regardless of whether their first one was successful or not.
Play a band or artist's second record. And if you think it's better than their debut, tell us!

Day 3 - You Move Me
Play a record that features a vocal performance that really moves you

Day 4 - In The Pocket
As a drummer, I have great respect for the bass-drum-rhythm guitar sections of bands. They often go unnoticed but are always necessary.
Play an album that features a tight-ass rhythm section.

Day 5 - String Theory
Play an album with a string section featured in at least one song

Day 6 - All That Brass
This day kicks off Great American Brass Band Week. Play something the features a brass section

Day 7 - Should You Have That?
Got any bootlegs or promos? Play one! If not, play something random from your collection for us.

Day 8 - Boxed In
What qualifies as a box set, three or more records? Ok, let's go with that.
Play a something from a box set you own

Day 9 - The Obligatory Jazz Sunday Category

Day 10 - Perfect?

I like to say that perfection only exists in definition.
But go ahead play an album you'd rate a 10. (or as high as you'd rate one)

Day 11 - Our Amps Go To 11
Play something that you have to play loud to really enjoy

Day 12 - Those Were the Days
Sometimes a song can take us back to really specific times in life.
For today, play an album that features a song that brings up a sweet memory from your past.

Day 13 - Lucky 13
I've never considered 13 to be unlucky, I was born on a 13.
Play an album that you were lucky to find or got an unexpected great deal on

Day 14 - Flag Day
I still don't know if my wife is kidding when she says Flag Day is one of her favorite holidays. What does one do on Flag Day?
Play a record reflecting however you would celebrate Flag Day. Or, just play something random if the topic hurts your brain.

Day 15 - Hair-Raising
You know when a song is so perfectly placed in a movie or show that you get goose bumps? Or when that perfect symmetry between audio and visual is achieved?
Yeah, give us some of that. Or, play your favorite soundtrack.

Day 16 - Yes, It's Fathers Day
I'm a father and a son, but let's not limit it to just that today.
Play something for someone in your life, male or female, that you admire. A mentor, teacher, grandparent etc.
And by all means play something for pops if you want to!

Day 17 - You Gotta See These Guys!
Play a record by an artist or band that puts on a great live show. (This doesn't necessarily mean play a live album)

Day 18 - National Splurge Day
Play a record you splurged on, or a record from a recent big haul.

Day 19 - Repeater
Play an album you never tire of hearing
Play an album you never tire of hearing

Day 20 - Oh The Colors
Play a record that isn't black.

Day 21 - Summer Is Here!
Summer jams, anything goes

Day 22 - Hot Water
Play an album by someone who has been in some kind of legal trouble

Day 23 - I Love You Unconditionally
Play an album that sounds bad, or is in bad condition but you play it anyway.

Day 24 - Shredders Unite
Play an album with an outstanding guitar performance

Day 25 - Randomizer
Pick someone else's post from earlier this month, then play a record related to that record or the person who posted it

Day 26 - Outlier
Play a record that from a genre that you don't typically like/buy/collect

Day 27 - Those Were The Days Part II
Play an old/used record that sounds fantastic

Day 28 - Food Pairing
You're having a dinner party, or maybe just a friend over for a meal.
What do you play when you sit down to eat?

Day 29 - Newbie
Play something you bought or received this month

Day 30 - Pride
As Pride Month wraps up, play an album by an artist that represents the LGBTQ community in some way.

Bonus Post (because I ran out of days)
Play either one: Great album, bad cover or bad album great cover, your choice!
This is awesome. I'd no idea this existed.... Sally I'm travelling (my dad's in the hospital) but I can't wait to see everyone's journey

Day 2- Off and Running

Joseph Shabason is primarily a saxophonist, but he layers Eno-esque ambient synth & various field recordings to augment his music. This second album is a dedication to his mother who suffers from Parkinson’s disease. He uses interviews with his mother as the field recordings added to the pieces of music here. The result is a largely personal one for him, but an othwerworldly almost David Lynchian experience for the listener. Shabason has provided his talents to both Destroyer and the War on Drugs and has been in a few other bands as a sideman. His unique work as a soloist is fantastic two albums in and the digital only companion EP to this record is well worth a listen too.

Just finished a listen to this on Spotify. It's really great - thanks for posting this!

Ok, gonna play a little catch up.

Day 1 - Who are you? - I've been attached to the Americana genre for a long time. I think Wilco/Son Volt/Tupelo really reintroduced me from the country my parents listened to.

Hiss Golden Messenger has been one of my favorite bands the last few years, and this is the release that turned up the heat for me. I've seen them a number of times, and their Pickathon barn set to close out the festival a couple years back was straight fire. Such a great band too, with Phil and Brad cook as members. MC Taylor does an email out occasionally hyping the things he's into, and always find some great tunes on that. Check it out on their site to subscribe.

52412BDB-FC5E-4D02-A278-65E941894467.jpeg

I can relate to this bit hard. There's a few songs out there I replay just for the delivery of one specific line in particular. The part in "A Pearl" by Mitski where she sings the line "There's a hole that you fill"... it never fails to give me chills. The whole song is incredible but the way she sings that lyric specifically... ugh, it's so good.

Mitski has so many moments like this but the one that gets me every fucking time is "And I know I've kissed you before, but I didn't do it right. Can I try again, try again, try again" from Pink in the Night

The feeling from this part is just so overwhelming to me

Day 2 - Off & Running

Dopesmoker is one of the dopest (see what I did there 🤫🤭) albums ever created and I wholeheartedly think it trumps Sleeps first album Holy Mountain (which is fuckin’ great too).
bPvQAcQ.jpg

Day 3 - You Move Me

Luther Vandross - Never Too Much

On one end, it's physically impossible for me to sit still through most of the songs on this album (title track especially). On the entire opposite side of the spectrum, there's his version of "A House is Not a Home" which is 7 minutes of pure heartache. From feeling that desperation when he belts "I'm not meant to live alone" to hoping with him that someone's behind the door as he sings "when I climb the stairs and turn the key, oh please be there." Even once the song ends, for a moment it can feel like you're still sitting in that empty room with him waiting for the door knob to turn

Day 4 - In The Pocket

When it comes to tight-ass rhythm sections, it doesn't get much better than Can.

Can - "Tago Mago"

20190604_013938.jpg

No paragraphs this time, this is music that speaks for itself. I just wish I had a decent copy of Ege Bamyasi since the grooves on that one are even tighter.

Day 4 - In The Pocket
As a drummer, I have great respect for the bass-drum-rhythm guitar sections of bands. They often go unnoticed but are always necessary.

These men are very necessary. And also very noticed. They've been sampled to death.............because they came up with better stuff than anyone else ever could. They played a big part in making Soul Brother #1 Soul Brother #1.

Bootsy Collins - Bass
Jabo Starks - Drums

CB7F7B79-1DC4-40A9-8237-665215C78F29.jpeg

Day 4 - In The Pocket

When it comes to tight-ass rhythm sections, it doesn't get much better than Can.

Can - "Tago Mago"

View attachment 4560

No paragraphs this time, this is music that speaks for itself. I just wish I had a decent copy of Ege Bamyasi since the grooves on that one are even tighter.

I was actually going to play Ege - I'll pick something else now that Can has been properly repped for this day's theme :)

Day 4 - In The Pocket

Michael Viner's Incredible Bongo Band* ‎– Bongo Rock

Let there be drums!

Everyone knows this one...

IMG_20190603_173037.jpg

Back