July '22 N&G Vinyl Spin Challenge - Ball So Hard, M*****f***ers Want To Fine Me

Day 24: Phoenix Suns

Play an album from an artist from Arizona or an album that references sunshine in one of its song titles.

Khruangbin and Leon Bridges - Texas Sun

View attachment 146851

Day 25: Sacramento Kings

Play an album from an artist from California, outside of SF and LA, or an album from a king or queen of their genre.

Anderson .Paak - Malibu

69C74275-5E19-4C47-9B4C-0AA18CE53E43.jpeg

Day 26: Dallas Mavericks
Play an album from an artist from Texas or from an artist who is considered a maverick.

This Texan has done it all - from punk to traditional Mexican to ballads to cowpunk to alt-country to glam to Americana to straight up rock to damn near dying.

A musician I'm honored to call a friend.

Take a few and watch this clip. You got everything from pedal steel to a string section and it's all blistering. Also Alejandro's niece, Sheila E on drums...

Alejandro Escovedo - Real Animal

20220726_011053.jpg

Play an album from an artist from California, outside of SF and LA, or an album from a king or queen of their genre.

Anderson .Paak - Malibu

View attachment 146950

Play an album from an artist from Texas or from an artist who is considered a maverick.

T.Y.E. - 32

4AF48E0A-81DE-40AB-A9F9-1492250A836A.jpeg

Day 27: Houston Rockets
Play an album from an artist from Texas (a different city than Day 26) or an album with a space reference.

That Little Ol' Band From Texas with a fabulously weird song about Houston and a top shelf guitar solo from The Reverend Willie G...

ZZ Top - El Loco

20220727_003320.jpg

Last edited:

Play an album from an artist from Arizona or an album that references sunshine in one of its song titles.

Arizona Amp & Alternator - Arizona Amp & Alternator
B64B1D9E-BF14-4C5D-94EE-F14EFEBBD626.jpeg
Howe Gelb isn’t originally from Arizona but it’s his adopted home where he’s made plenty of fine records (as Giant Sand, AA&A, and under his own name).

I also included my 1994 Starting Lineup figure of Sir Charles. Out of all the teams The Bulls faced during their two Championship runs, That Suns team scared me the most, with Barkley, Kevin Johnson, Danny Ainge, Cedric Ceballos, and “Thunder” Dan Majerle.

Cake - Fashion Nugget
D510FE37-AEB0-4C2F-9580-4B1D3FF8890E.jpeg

Today I learned Cake originally formed in Sacramento.

The Kings are one of the most pointless franchises in league history. Though they did have one season of greatness; the 2001 squad with Chris Webber, Vlade Divac, Mike Bibby, Peja Stojović, and Hedo Türkoglu. That Western Conference Finals were they took the Shaq/Kobe led Lakers to the brink in a game 7 OT loss; was one of the best playoff series I’ve ever seen.

The Deathray Davies - The Kick & The Snare
3FA6565E-FDD2-4739-B6FF-A814E7857267.jpeg
I think it’s relatively close proximity to Austin, one of the most vibrant and historic music scenes in the US; has cause Dallas to be a bit overlooked. The is a lot of really excellent music to bubble up from the Dallas/Fort Worth metro area over the years. I had plenty of choices but decided to go with an oft overlooked band from the early 2000s, The Deathray Davies.

Say what you will about Mark Cuban but he managed to turn a really bad franchise into a perennial playoff team (having Dirk Nowitzki and now Luka Dončić helped a lot). They have still only managed one title, but what a title it was, robbing The “Big 3” Heat of their first shot at a championship.

Arizona Amp & Alternator - Arizona Amp & Alternator
View attachment 147073
Howe Gelb isn’t originally from Arizona but it’s his adopted home where he’s made plenty of fine records (as Giant Sand, AA&A, and under his own name).

I also included my 1994 Starting Lineup figure of Sir Charles. Out of all the teams The Bulls faced during their two Championship runs, That Suns team scared me the most, with Barkley, Kevin Johnson, Danny Ainge, Cedric Ceballos, and “Thunder” Dan Majerle.

Yessssss...I have a whole box of starting lineups somewhere at my parents house. I wish I had them for this months challenge!

Day 27: Houston Rockets

Play an album from an artist from Texas (a different city than Day 26) or an album with a space reference.

Lyle Lovett - Pontiac
45837FF0-5E7C-44F3-8501-A33436EB6C88.jpeg
I had to get some Texas Country in here so I went with one of my favorites, Houston Native Lyle Lovett.

I also included my 1995 Hakeem Olajuwon Starting Lineup figure. Those mid-90s Rockets were fantastic, I wonder what woulda happened had MJ never retired and The Bulls had played The Rockets in the Finals.

Yessssss...I have a whole box of starting lineups somewhere at my parents house. I wish I had them for this months challenge!
I had a bunch as a kid but I didn’t take care of them and they were pretty much trashed. Thankfully an older dude I used to work with was a collector and his wife was getting on him about his collection taking up the entirety of their garage so he was more than happy to part with a few. Unfortunately he had sold off of the Jordan ones but I was picked up a few, they were a steal at $3 a pop.

Back