July '22 N&G Vinyl Spin Challenge - Ball So Hard, M*****f***ers Want To Fine Me

Day 27: Houston Rockets
Play an album from an artist from Texas (a different city than Day 26) or an album with a space reference.

Spiritualized - Everything Was Beautiful

Going for the space prompt by playing an album by a Spaceman.

img_20220421_193127974-jpg.136504

Day 28: Memphis Grizzlies

Play an album from an artist from Memphis or an album that has a reference to a bear somewhere in it.

Explosions in the Sky - Big Bend (An Original Soundtrack for Public Television)

I was going to play this one for day 27, so now I'll play it for the wrong state because it's a soundtrack for a nature documentary complete with a track called "Climbing Bear."

img_20211102_185859774_hdr-jpg.116456

Day 23: Los Angeles Lakers

Play an album that references celebrity.

Playing this one for Golden Lights:

Golden lights displaying your name
Golden lights, it's a terrible shame
But, oh, my darling
Why did you change?
Boy in a million, idol, a big star
I didn't tell you how great you were
I didn't grovel and scream and rip
Your brand new jacket at the seams
You made a record, they liked your singing
All of a sudden the phone stops ringing
I never thought that you would let
The glory make you forget
Golden lights displaying your name
But oh, my darling
Why did you change?
Top ten idol, king of your age
Who do you turn to when you're backstage?
Don't you remember you once knew a girl
You loved her more than the world
Is life always like this, brother?
Good for one side but bad for another
I must put you behind me tonight
'Cause you belong to the lights
Those golden lights displaying your name
But oh, my darling
Why did you change?
Oh, oh, my darling
Why, why did you change?
Oh

The Smiths - Louder Than Bombs

C2573DC9-7F1C-477E-A27A-245E43B967F1.jpeg

Day 31: All Star Game

The Finn Brothers - Finn

CFC32505-7A64-4CE6-978B-766A87E1C547.jpeg

Tim and Neil Finn are songwriting all-stars. I had once thought that Crowded House was a one-hit wonder with “Don’t Dream It’s Over” until I worked at a little hotel in England and the cook there had their greatest hits CD on repeat in the kitchen and I learned the truth. This side project is also really great. Edit: also forgot to mention Split Enz were also great.

Thanks for a great month, @wmeugene !!

Last edited:
Day 31 - All Star Game

The Beatles Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

Beatles.jpg

I was five when my dad gave me a copy of this, my first "real" record (in other words, not a kids record). The album itself was ten years old, although I had no conception of that at the time. To some extent, my dad was getting this for himself, too, to start to replace a bunch of 8 tracks that had been stolen out of his car years before; but, it was understood that this was MY record to be kept in my room. When we shared a new copy of Meet the Beatles shortly after, my collection was truly under way. My interest in music would ripple out from Sgt. Pepper's, taking in solo Beatles, each new release something anticipated eagerly, the murder of Lennon a devastation for this eight year old as it was for countless Boomers. By the time the album was 20 and I was 15, I had begun to switch from vinyl (and the devil, cassette tapes) to CDs, in time for the grand release of the by-then-media-canonized "best album of all time" to make its debut on shiny disc. My third copy didn't come until I got the 50th anniversary CD boxset, with surround mix and outtakes discs. And here, a mere five years after that, I'm collecting my music on vinyl again and have just now listened to my recently acquired 12" copy. My original copy, like all of my vinyl records, was given to my brother decades ago when he renounced CDs and became a purist long ahead of the curve. My new copy has a black Parlophone label instead of an orange Capitol one; the cut-outs on the insert haven't been cut-out; and it doesn't have a skip as Paul sings "When it gets dark/I tow your heart a--." But it's still magical.

One of my earliest memories is being in the car with my dad as he was telling me that he was going to give me this record. He said that he could hear "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" in his head just thinking about it. That was a revelation to me, that you could hear music without it playing out of speakers. For 45 years, I've been able to hear every second of every song on this record without playing it. Spinning it is better, though.

Day 31: All Star Game
David Bowie - Station To Station

The Black Star, The Star Man, Ziggy Stardust. My favorite from this All-Star.
20220731_132617.jpg

@wmeugene thanks for a fun challenge this month. One of the only ones I've actually finished. It helped I enjoyed the theme, and really enjoyed reading everyone's posts related to the NBA. Especially the glory days of the 90s!

Back