July '22 N&G Vinyl Spin Challenge - Ball So Hard, M*****f***ers Want To Fine Me

Day 6: Chicago Bulls
Play an album from an artist from Chicago or an aggressive album.

When I think of tough, aggressive Chicago Bulls, two names immediately pop into my head - Charles Oakley and Dennis Rodman.

Here's 11 glorious minutes of them beating the hell outta each other when they were on opposing teams...

And this tough, aggressive Chicago band should be the soundtrack to that clip...

Ministry - ΚΕΦΑΛΗΞΘ

20220706_001303.jpg

Last edited:
Day 6: Chicago Bullsl - Play an album from an artist from Chicago or an aggressive album.

Bulls on Parade
michael-jordan-1998-nba-championship-parade_17masfun9t3lt190fr7h7l5a5s.jpeg

Rage Against The Machine - Evil Empire

PXL_20220706_113655196.jpg

Day 5: Toronto Raptors

Play an album from an artist from Canada or play a very old album, prehistoric you might say.

Destroyer - Kaputt

View attachment 144916

Day 5: Bonus Album

Motion City Soundtrack - My Dinosaur Life

View attachment 144917

Play an album from an artist from Chicago or an aggressive album.

OK Go - Hungry Ghosts

2812D229-31E9-4CDA-94E8-5ED3C2C8D05F.jpeg

Play an album from an artist from Chicago

Nnamdi Ogbonnaya – Drool
20220706_201922.jpg

Given the obnoxious number of times I've played his latest single and video over the past few days, Nnamdï was the obvious Chicago pick for me - the only difficulty was deciding which album. I'm pretty sure I stumbled into this back before Google Music went downhill and forced us into the horseshit that is YouTube Music. I discovered a lot of cool stuff thanks to the ability to browse new releases by genre on Friday, Nnamdï being a prime example. I happily scored this signed(!) copy of the original orange cream limited pressing (500 copies) during a digging session at my local with @jamieanderson1968 while he was in town a while back.

Nnamdï's forthcoming album is one of my most anticipated releases for the second half of this year!

Day 7 - Cleveland Cavaliers

Guided by Voices Tremblers and Goggles By Rank

My first spin of the brand new one from Robert Pollard and the gang reveals, unsurprisingly, a winner. At ten tracks, it might seem like the length of an EP from Dayton's GBV, but each track is a bit more complex and lengthier than is typical for them. A very strong case could be made that in the past five years or so, they have been the best rock band in America. Not bad for a group that broke up in 2004.

Guided by Voices.jpg

Below is Pollard's 2019 Upper Deck card, not his rookie year, mind you.

Pollard card.jpg

Day 4: Philadelphia 76ers

Play an album from an artist from Philadelphia

Rosali - No Medium
9B142D42-FEF8-49CD-9EDD-A8A1E4AD0027.jpeg

Philly is a great basketball and music city. Daryl Dawkins, Moses Malone, Dr. J, Charles Barkley, Allen Iverson, the list goes on and on. In regards to their rich music history, you have to the Philly Soul movement, Hall & Oates, Sun Ra, Boys II Men, The Roots and the Neo Soul Revival that they helped spearhead most recently Philly has become an incubator for some excellent Indie Rock. Similarly to how young creatives, priced out of Manhattan turned Brooklyn into an Indie Rock incubator during the early 00s, Philadelphia became that place over the past decade. Cheap(er) rent and proximity to NYC made an ideal place for upcoming to congratulate. Waxahatchee, Kurt Vile, Sadurn, Steve Gunn, The War On Drugs, are some of my faves that have come out of that Philly scene. That also Includes Rosali, whose 2021 album No Medium has been a constant mainstay on my turntable over the past year.

Last edited:
Back