July 2021 Vinyl Spin Challenge: Summer Breeze Makes Me Feel Fine

Day 15: Kick Out The Jams Motherfucker!!
Play a live record

The National - Cherry Tree, Vol. 3 - Live at Stubb's Bar-B-Q, Austin, TX, October 11, 2018
8CF854AD-FB36-4B97-8984-A215ED59C39B.jpeg
I love a live recordings and am blessed to have several in my record collection. A good Live album can concentrate the essence of a band down to something magical. This is my most recent live addition and it is quite brilliant.

July 15 - Kick out the jams mother trucker!!
Play a live record

So none of my "to play" records and none of my uncleaned new pickups are live albums, so let's dip into the cubes!

This was a $4 pickup at the local discount bookstore that also takes in some roughed up vinyl. With that said, this was one of the stronger deals. Pretty much a who's who of late 70's radio rock from a series of concerts for a "non-nuclear future". I've never actually played his on full through because it is a 3 LP so today seems as good a day as any to try this out - the CSNY related items on sides B and F stand out.

Various Artists - No Nukes
(CSNY, James Taylor, Carly Simon, Bonnie Raitt, Bruce Springsteen, among others).

PXL_20210715_192557233.jpg

Play a live record

@waruv @Kris My copy just arrived!

Live albums are my weakness and something I prioritize adding to my collection, but since this one is so f'ing fantastic and I couldn't wait to spin it, I'm going with my newest acquisition.

I was happy to get one of the recent represses of The Story, but it's not the best sounding record. This one on the other hand is the tops.

Brandi Carlile - Live at Benaroya Hall with the Seattle Symphony

20210715_163426.jpg

Play a live record

So none of my "to play" records and none of my uncleaned new pickups are live albums, so let's dip into the cubes!

This was a $4 pickup at the local discount bookstore that also takes in some roughed up vinyl. With that said, this was one of the stronger deals. Pretty much a who's who of late 70's radio rock from a series of concerts for a "non-nuclear future". I've never actually played his on full through because it is a 3 LP so today seems as good a day as any to try this out - the CSNY related items on sides B and F stand out.

Various Artists - No Nukes
(CSNY, James Taylor, Carly Simon, Bonnie Raitt, Bruce Springsteen, among others).

View attachment 105731
This was one of the many free cds I got from BMG.

july 15 - kick out the jams mother trucker!

E0A5220E-6CD6-4253-A6F5-04183281E1C4.jpeg

pearl jam - vault #10: moline 10/17/14

well this just showed up today so felt like it should be the one to play. was lucky to be at this show, they played the no code album in full, much to the real surprise of everyone in the building.

July 8 - Once in a lifetime. (I've had a hectic week so I have lots of catching up to do)
Play a record by an artist that you feel lucky to have seen perform live

Yacht -- See Mystery Lights

This one is less about the artist and more about the story behind seeing them live. It was probably 2011 or 2012 when this happened. One of my childhood best friends was about to join the marines and he really wanted to go to a show at Fitzgeralds (historic venue in Houston that is now a f&$#*ng parking lot) during his last weekend in Houston before hitting boot camp. The Foals were playing at Fitz's that weekend but they were sold out by the time we had decided to hit up a show. Our only other option was a band named Yacht. We had zero clue who they were so we decided to hit up YouTube and check them out. We watched the video for Voodoo City, thought it was weird as hell but not terrible, so we decided to go. I recall the tix being pretty cheap as well which made the decision even easier.

We didn't quite know what to expect, but the show was far more packed than anticipated and while we went in not knowing who this band was, we ended up buying their merch and getting signed CDs because the show was AMAZING. I've been to a couple hundred shows and this one definitely makes the top ten. They were engaging, sounded great, and closed with an insanely great cover of Breaking the Law by Judas Priest where the lead singer was dancing through the crowd.

They made a fan out of me that night. So yeah, it was one of those memorable live shows that just sticks with you and makes you feel lucky for taking a chance on checking out a band you had never heard of.

IMG_4432.jpg

July 10 - Hope I die before I get old
Play a record that is older than you (bonus points if the copy is actually older than you)

I was born in 1992, so I have tons of records older than me, so I decided to make this one a bit more challenging than that. Since the challenge for the previous day was my birth year, I decided to go with the birth year of my older sibling (1986). That narrowed the playing field down a bit and I chose New Order -- Brotherhood, both because it fit the year I was aiming for and the sibling relationship (even though my sibling is a sister).

IMG_4443.jpg

July 10 - Hope I die before I get old
Play a record that is older than you (bonus points if the copy is actually older than you)

I was born in 1992, so I have tons of records older than me, so I decided to make this one a bit more challenging than that. Since the challenge for the previous day was my birth year, I decided to go with the birth year of my older sibling (1986). That narrowed the playing field down a bit and I chose New Order -- Brotherhood, both because it fit the year I was aiming for and the sibling relationship (even though my sibling is a sister).

View attachment 105776
In my opinion, probably the best NO album

July 11 - National Mojito day.
Play something that you like to listen to when you want to unwind (with or without a cocktail)

Sunflower Bean -- Human Ceremony

This is the kind of jangly, chill music that I like to relax to. I found out about this band in law school because a friend of mine had free tickets to go see Sleigh Bells (who I had heard of but didn't know much about). I'm glad we got there early because Sunflower Bean opened for Sleigh Bells and my friend and I both really enjoyed Sunflower Bean. Even got to meet them after their set and get a signed album and postcard. They were super chill, one of them was even wearing pajamas on stage which was amusing. After that, turns out both my friend and I hate Sleigh Bells and we left after like one song.

IMG_4446.jpg

I don't go out of my way to get live albums, but this one is pretty good.

Gang Of Youths ‎– MTV Unplugged Live In Melbourne
Mosy Recordings ‎– 19348307895, 2018

Limited to 1000 on green translucent "Sea Glass" vinyl.

Cut by Wes Garland
Pressed at United

rEY7Af.jpg

rDjZhJ.jpg

I've heard their new single on SiriusXM a few times the past week or so, but I saw they dropped the full EP last night.

July 16 - Moby's a Dick

I haven't been out to the bins for any whale hunting in a long time, but I do plan to make some stops next month when I drop my wife and kid off at PDX.

This is one that I had been wanting for a while when I found it. I only bought this one originally but they also had the 2x45 of Blood Mountain, but prices were a bit too steep for me to get both at the time.

I got this one in April of 2016 - and then they still had Blood Mountain 2x45 the next time I went there in July. I really didn't think I'd find these at all, let alone both of them, and both of them still sealed 7 years after the release.

Mastodon ‎– Crack The Skye
Reprise Records ‎– 517931-1, 2009

2x45RPM, Limited to 2,500

Pressed at Pallas

HEF30M.jpg

btf4s3.jpg

July 16 - Moby's a Dick
Play a white whale.

Had to break some shrink on this one. To be fair it was due to happen soon but why not now?

I was lucky to not have too many whales I had to have, but I spent a while hunting down a copy of this one. Ended up grabbing a French promo copy on Discogs when it popped up one day and probably scared the new seller half to death with my shipping asks. There's a bit of surface noise early on, but that's a small price to pay for one of my favorite albums ever and the one that served as a gateway drug to Americana for me.

Playing it loud for the first time today after an obscene number of streams and CD spins.

I mean... If you can't get behind an obscenely talented multi instrumentalist and vocalist with both a Dylan and Radiohead cover, your ears are very different than mine.

Edit: Side A may be one of my favorite “sides” I own. The dream team of sides.

Follow Me Down - Sarah Jarosz

PXL_20210716_131837394.jpg

Last edited:
Back