July 2020 Record Challenge (The Raffle Strikes Back)

Day 27: Sharing is caring

Leah Senior - Pretty Faces

I've had quite a few amazing records come my way from the kind Toronto weird boys, but for this challenge I'll go with the most recent. Shortly before quarantine started this winter, I came home from work to find a record box in my apartment foyer. Not having ordered or expecting anything, it was a surprise. But good pal @DeadwaxDude heard this album and thought that I would enjoy it, and generously mailed me a copy. Of course, I do really enjoy this record and it's gotten regular table time in the last several months. A classic singer-songwriter record with strong '60s/'70s British folk vibes and some incredible instrumentation, it's one of many thoughtful gifts I've received since joining this community. Thanks again, Dude.

IMG_20200727_090325.jpg

Day 27 - SHARING IS CARING

Julien Baker - Sprained Ankle (Matador Exclusive Orange - Although weirdly this is from VMP)

I have mentioned this before, but I picked this up on a complete whim after seeing @mcherry and @GritNGlitter (Im pretty certain it was you two?) chat about it on the old forum. When VMP released this I bought it straight away, and I have to say the chats I saw really did it justice. Its an incredibly beautiful album which subsequently led me down the Boygenius, Lucy Dacus, Pheobe Bridgers rabbit hole. I will always be grateful for the recommendations I get from the forum, and this is certainly one of my favourites. Cheers again!

IMG_0336.JPG
IMG_0337.JPG

JULY 27
SHARING IS CARING
Play an album you own thanks to another forum member

Black Pumas - Black Pumas

View attachment 58603
I’m pretty sure @Lee Newman was leading the charge on these guys from the very beginning. Now I’ve spread the Puma love through my own group of friends!
I remember talking to the lady that ran Rising in the old place after Bad Moon Rising made the weekly playlist.

Catch Up! (Part 1)

JULY 22
CHILL OUT
Play something relaxing

Aloha -- Little Windows Cut Right Through

This one is pretty dreamy. I had never heard them until I got this one in a mystery pack and I'm definitely a fan now.

239FC36E-0BB2-4858-8CAB-3180D573BEA5.jpeg

JULY 23
UNCHARTED TERRITORY
Play an album where the artist was experimenting/trying something new or different

The Beths -- Jump Rope Gazers

They stick with some of the same stuff when it comes to riffs, backing vocals, and jamming when compared to Future Me Hates Me, but they tried some new slow, ballad songs as well. Not quite as catchy as their first album but I still really enjoy it!

F2327987-D2C6-481A-AFBB-15AE224A3F94.jpeg

JULY 24
DON'T FORGET THE EAR PLUGS
Play something LOUD

Prison Religion -- Cage with Mirrored Bars

Difficult to describe aside from a mix of industrial trap rap mixed with almost metal vocals. This begs to be played very loudly.

B27E0C63-2B7A-48EC-9495-285949768518.jpeg

Catch Up (Part 2)

JULY 25
BREVITY IS THE SOUL OF WIT
Play a short album (at least under 30 minutes)

Jackie Cohen -- Tacoma Night Terror (Parts 1 & 2)

Kind of cheating since it's two EPs instead of an album, but this one clocks in at 28:30.

699B078E-3482-4DF2-BA6B-2597D2E98CD5.jpeg

JULY 26
IT'S NOT ABOUT WHO DID IT FIRST, BUT WHO DID IT BETTER
Play an album with a great cover song/songs on it

Johnny Cash -- Bitter Tears: Ballads of the American Indian

Johnny Cash covers five Peter La Farge songs (including "The Ballad of Ira Hayes") on his concept album inspired by Native American activism in the early 1960s. ---- (Also inspired by his belief that he had Cherokee ancestry, which was not the case)

A8D52E92-9C45-429A-BCAD-C57F0052EEE4.jpeg

Day 27: Sharing is caring

Leah Senior - Pretty Faces

I've had quite a few amazing records come my way from the kind Toronto weird boys, but for this challenge I'll go with the most recent. Shortly before quarantine started this winter, I came home from work to find a record box in my apartment foyer. Not having ordered or expecting anything, it was a surprise. But good pal @DeadwaxDude heard this album and thought that I would enjoy it, and generously mailed me a copy. Of course, I do really enjoy this record and it's gotten regular table time in the last several months. A classic singer-songwriter record with strong '60s/'70s British folk vibes and some incredible instrumentation, it's one of many thoughtful gifts I've received since joining this community. Thanks again, Dude.

View attachment 58585

Glad to see you spinning it! Enjoy!

JULY 27
SHARING IS CARING
Play an album you own thanks to another forum member

This was @Joe Mac 's pick for the December 2019 N&G AotM.
I'm positive I would have never heard of this band if it wasn't for his selection.

Such beautiful and moving music.

6DCA3561-E919-48EC-94B1-C5902891278B.jpeg

Back