July 2020 Record Challenge (The Raffle Strikes Back)

July 14: :love:
(catch up)

Caribou - Our Love

1594836077439357480961558893177.jpg

I still can't believe it took me until this year on N&G to discover Dan's simple, yet compelling electronic works. The album AND song titles work in tandem with theme (e.g.: "Can't Do Without You," "Second Chance," "Back Home," and "All I Ever Need").

JULY 15
GO IT ALONE
Solo album by someone from a previously established band

Glen Phillips- Winter Pays for Summer

DAE17E07-A3BB-4C24-A101-DC4C4CA27E9D.jpeg
Glen is best known as the lead singer of Toad the Wet Sprocket but also has a fantastic solo career. This is my favorite album of his, and this copy is actually one he sold me from his personal collection.

Also to note - he’s been doing free shows on Facebook every M-W-F night to raise money for charity. They are great little shows (35-45 min each night) featuring tons of covers in addition to songs from Toad and Glen’s solo career.

July 15 - Go It Alone
Mark Lanegan - The Winding Sheet
From Consequence of Sound
The roots of The Winding Sheet lay in a never fulfilled project between Lanegan, Screaming Trees’ drummer Mike Pickerel, and Nirvana’s Kurt Cobain and Krist Novoselic that began in late 1989. Why the project fell apart is hard to say. Nirvana had just released the Blew EP, and the band was over five months from beginning work on Nevermind. Originally planned as an EP of blues songs, only one track, “Where Did You Sleep Last Night”, featuring both Cobain and Novoselic, managed to survive the aborted project and find its way onto the final album. Another number, “Down in the Dark”, features Cobain on background vocals. After Cobain and Novoselic left the project, Lanegan and Pickerel recruited Mike Johnson, Lou Barlow’s replacement in Dinosaur Jr., who co-wrote the majority of the songs on The Winding Sheet with Lanegan, and Jack Endino, the man who produced the lion’s share of grunge bands in the mid-to-late 80s.

He really hates this album cover.
IMG_0487.jpg

Day 13: 13 Tracks.

Had to look through a ratemymusic list for this one - and then pick an album I wanted to play...

Tool ‎– Lateralus
Volcano/Tool Dissectional ‎– 61422-31160-1 LP, 2001/?

Reissue of unknown date - still a picture disc, though

Cut by Chris Bellman

hxQmIv.jpg

BDRW0v.jpg

Day 14: Love

Some of the most wonderful songs of love ever made...

White Zombie ‎– Astro-Creep: 2000 (Songs Of Love, Destruction And Other Synthetic Delusions Of The Electric Head)
Music On Vinyl ‎– MOVLP547, 1995/2012

Limited/Numbered to 1000 on Green Translucent w/ Black Smoke, #116

Pressed at Record Industry

amc7dj.jpg

qSuIyZ.jpg

MOV used to put the numbering on the hype sticker on the resealable outer sleeve...I seem to have lost mine over the years. I did at one time post it in a forum and made a note...

Annotation 2020-07-15 180413.jpg

JULY 12 (make up)
THANKS, TIPPER GORE
Play an album with a parental advisory sticker

The Roots - Game Theory

I was hoping this one would arrive in time (it's a wonderful PIF from @scotthilk), but it hung out in the USPS system a few days longer than predicted, but it arrived today and now things are bumping at my house.

20200715_194401.jpg

Wait, what's that in the corner?!

20200715_120715.jpg

You may now commence pearl clutching.

DAY 16
UNPOLISHED PRODUCTION
Bratmobile - Pottymouth
This probably isn't the most lo-fi album I own but I couldn't really find another album that fit the theme better, plus this is always great to put on. It's probably the best album I got from VMP in my brief time as a customer, and credit where credit is due, the black and pink color scheme for the record is pretty cool. It also sounds great... well, as great as a lo-fi punk rock riot grrl album can! High fidelity is overrated anyway 😎
20200716_002808.jpg

JULY 16 - UNPOLISHED PRODUCTION

Bill Evans - Live At Art D'Lugoff's Top Of The Gate (Resonance Records, 2019 RSD Pressing)

I think this counts as an example of a lo fi production? It was recorded live at the Top Of The Gate in 1968. The person that recorded it (he is now the founder of Resonance Records) recorded the session with minimal equipment, and a mic on the piano and bass only. Still, its a fantastic session which I personally think sounds great.

IMG_6728 (2).JPG

Back