July 2020 Record Challenge (The Raffle Strikes Back)

JULY 14
😍
Play an album about/with a lot of songs about love

Rosalía - El mal querer

This whole album is about love... it's just that, as the title says, it's the bad kind. By the end, she declares her independence, but the journey to get there -once the infatuation wears off- is full of jealousy, betrayal, and despair.

20200714_181730.jpg

DAY 15
GO IT ALONE
Björk - Debut
Although I'm sure almost nobody thinks of Björk as a member of the Sugarcubes first, they were a fairly successful and established band in their own right. That being said, with her first solo outing, Björk established a solid artistic vision of her own that she would only go on to innovate and perfect even further with her follow-up albums. I feel like it isn't controversial to say this is one of the best debut albums ever made, right? Even though it is rooted in sounds of the time, like house, techno and trip-hop, I think this album has aged beautifully. While her later albums would only become more expansive and complex, there's a simplicity to Debut that's infectious in all the right ways. I love it. 🤗
20200714_212542.jpg

DAY 15
GO IT ALONE
Björk - Debut
Although I'm sure almost nobody thinks of Björk as a member of the Sugarcubes first, they were a fairly successful and established band in their own right. That being said, with her first solo outing, Björk established a solid artistic vision of her own that she would only go on to innovate and perfect even further with her follow-up albums. I feel like it isn't controversial to say this is one of the best debut albums ever made, right? Even though it is rooted in sounds of the time, like house, techno and trip-hop, I think this album has aged beautifully. While her later albums would only become more expansive and complex, there's a simplicity to Debut that's infectious in all the right ways. I love it. 🤗
View attachment 56669

Funny, I almost picked that record for the same category! Probably still my favorite album of hers. But instead I cracked a second beer (kind of my limit, tbh) and next thing you know...

Day 15: GO IT ALONE

06B698F7-5A02-4753-B114-31D926C70D70.jpeg

I love Steely Dan’s 70s discography, but I think this album may be better than Gaucho.

Day 15 - GO IT ALONE: Solo album by someone from a previously established band

Kelly Finnigan - The Tales People Tell

The frontman for The Monophonics released his solo debut last year and it was my favorite of 2019! Still soul, but a little bit of a different sound from the psychedelic soul of The Monophonics.

JULY 15
GO IT ALONE
Solo album by someone from a previously established band

This just arrived the other day, I could have spun it for the love day, but fortunately I looked ahead and this fits nicely.

Jehnny Beth ‎– To Love Is To Live

Jehnny Beth is/was the lead singer for Savages, and I sincerely hope they get back together to make more music!

IMG_20200715_082017.jpg

Day 15 - Go it alone

Jack White – Blunderbuss (Third Man Records, 2012 First Pressing)

Well seeing as @gaporter and @debianlinux beat me with their fantastic Björk and Stevie Nicks choices, I will go for one which links to the VMP ROTM. Blunderbuss is Jack White's debut album as a solo artist. It has some really good moments in it and was really well recieved, although its fair to say it never really hit the same levels as the White Stripes music.

IMG_9850.JPG

16 - Solo

My options here were pretty limited and some, while technically correct, were reaches based on the successful criteria requirement. Thus, I am trying to slide this one in early as it is probably in several hands here as well.

View attachment 56704

deb has beamed himself into the future and is catching up for today...

Day 14: 😍
Play an album about/with a lot of songs about love
Songs: Ohia - Love & Work: The Lioness Sessions
FC58C6EB-52CC-4D75-83E9-E696CC949E89.jpeg

An album Molina wrote and recorded while courting his future wife, Darcie. It includes some reproduction ephemera (a Post Card, a Love Letter, a photo, a 2 of hearts playing card that he had taped to the wall of the studio and a personal check made payable to “bad ass”written in the amount of “One Million Kisses”) this album aches with love and passion, and knowing how tragically it all ends makes it all the more heartbreaking to listen. Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at allhas never rang truer.

Back