July 2020 Record Challenge (The Raffle Strikes Back)

DAY 14
:love:
James Blake - Assume Form
An album full of romanticism and songs about love, brought to life by James Blake's incredible voice and atmospheric production. I feel like this album got kind of slept on last year, but I can see why it might not work for some. It came out in January 2019 and I was still reeling from a bad break-up from the previous year and for whatever reason, James Blake's album-length love letter to his wife helped me power through it due its sincerity and genuine emotional core. It resonates with me in a weird way and I really just can't hate this album or what it represents. Also, "I'll Come Too" is a perfect and adorable song.
20200713_005515.jpg

JULY 14
😍
Play an album about/with a lot of songs about love

Arguably the greatest song cycle ever recorded about unrequited love...

Derek And The Dominos - Layla And Other Assorted Love Songs

Unintended bonus - it's Jim Gordon's birthday.

They don't get any more emotionally crushing than 'Bell Bottom Blues'.

20200214_000105.jpg

Last edited:
14 - Love

From the artist (Jess Williamson):
Cosmic Wink is a record about how vulnerability can feel something less vulnerable when love - true, deep love - creates a latticework of strength underneath the frame of our humanity.

At any rate, I am in love with Jess’ music. Favorite song is I See The White.

305F6451-1397-4D5E-ACBD-05F0A192AAF9.jpeg

DAY 14 - LOVE LOVE LOVE

IMG_20200714_090220.jpg

When Ani Difranco released Dilate, lyrically this album was a shock to her core fanbase. Whereas previous albums she had talked about the sexuality spectrum, women's fight for equality, and overall empowerment, this album focused on the feelings and complexities of being, not being, and wanting to be with someone romantically. As she states on her live album Living With Clip, "I kinda got distracted."
For a 16-year-old boy to hear a guitar being played within an inch of its life and to have someone speak so candidly about these things that I was experiencing as an adolescent, it was not just era defining, it was life-changing for me. If this album were a person, I'm not sure I'd be able to stop hugging it.

JULY 9
JUST GIVE IT TIME
An album that grew on you

Metallica - Ride The Lightning

My friends were all listening to Metallica when I was young. I didn't get it. Then, the Black Album came out and I rejected it even more because it wasn't "cool" anymore. Then, Lars went bananas on Napster and broke college kids, so I hated them for another decade. It took me until I was in my 30's to really give Metallica a fair shake. Boy was I stupid when I was a kid.

Take a look to the sky just before you die...It's the last time you will
IMG_0333[1705].JPG

JULY 10
BON APPETIT
Play an album that makes you think of food

Eagles - Hotel California

The album cover makes me think of the titular song. The titular song makes me think of a grand feast as soon as the opening notes play. I love music that sets a scene and I always pictured some sort of grand masquerade ball where things just go fucking sideways during dinner when the beast is unleashed on the ball-goers. Now, I just think the hotel in the song is an analogy for purgatory.....

They stab it with their steely knives, but they just can't kill the beast
IMG_0349[1707].JPG

Day 9 - Just give it time, an album that grew on you

Mandolin Orange - Such Jubilee

Not this album so much, but the band. Thought they were a little mellow for me, or at least not the right mellow. Caught them at Pickathon and just feel for the whole thing. This album, Rounder particularly, is fantastic.

75360842-087B-41A0-B7C1-573C7C7869AE.jpeg

Back