July 2020 Record Challenge (The Raffle Strikes Back)

JULY 2
BELONGS IN THE LOUVRE
Your favorite album cover (or just one you really like)

Oh, if this were only a real record right now...

20200701_225845.jpg

Since it doesn't exist, I'll go with this one. Can't really say I have an all-time favorite album cover but I do like simplicty. This one gets straight to the point.

Tom Waits - Glitter And Doom Live

20200701_232858.jpg

Last edited:
DAY 2
BELONGS IN THE LOUVRE
MGMT - Congratulations
Going with the obvious for this one, I've sung this record's praises over and over and I'm willing to do it again. But aside from being one of my favorite albums from a musical standpoint, it also has one of, if not maybe my favorite piece of album art ever. I feel like the main criteria of a great album cover is that it is a good indicator of the music contained within and the psychedelic, colorful art is a great representation of the creative and trippy tunes all across this album.
20200701_230803.jpg

Day 1: GETTING STARTED

May as well get started on this pile of new records I got over the last week or so...

Korn ‎– Untouchables
Epic/Immortal/Legacy ‎– 19075844021, 2002/2018

Includes a hidden track - "Here To Stay (T Ray's Mix)" played at the end of Side D.

Pressed at MRP/GZ

xPbhxT.jpg

Z6CXJb.jpg

DAY 2
BELONGS IN THE LOUVRE

I'll go with @Skalap 's N&G RotM choice as I really love that cover. It refers to the half-Japanese roots of Mark de Clive-Lowe. The cover shows how out of the piano a Japanese rock garden grows (can you spot the little turtle?), set under a beautifully colored sky. The music of "Heritage" creates wonderful landscapes in the listener's mind. It's definitely a record cover that could hang in the Louvre. 🎨

Mark de Clive- Lowe "Heritage"

IMG_20200702_084311.jpg

Day 2: Belongs in the Louvre

2814 - Birth of a New Day (新しい日の誕生)

15936733203797027196446779374700.jpg

This is an album that sounds exactly like the front cover. Everytime I put this on, I am transported into a dystopian world, coupled with everlong past memories evoked by resonant, ambient sections. The atmosphere this album provides is exactly how I picture the sounds of a technologically advanced country decades into the future (perhaps Japan, seeing that the album title is in Hiragana + Kanji). One of my top 25 albums of the decade.

JULY 2
BELONGS IN THE LOUVRE
Your favorite album cover (or just one you really like)

King Buffalo - Dead Star

I checked this band out during a Bandcamp sale just because I liked this artwork so much. People have done the space theme before. People have done the skull theme before. People have done the Spaceskull theme before. But, I've never seen one that actually struck me as beautiful until I saw this one. It only helps that the music contained therein is really fucking good. If you imagine what the album sounds like based solely on the picture of the cover, you're probably dead on. Stoner space jams from planet Rochester. When you make an EP that's 30 minutes long, and the entire first side is part 1 and part 2 of the same song, you have more than my ear......you have my attention.

I liked it so much I bought all of their albums and EP's that day. Haha.

IMG_0284[1480].JPG

Day 2 - BELONGS IN THE LOUVRE: Your favorite album cover (or just one you really like)

Saint Motel - saintmotelevision

My wife picked this one up a few years ago after seeing them as an opener at a show. It's a pretty good album and a lot of fun, but the album cover has always captivated me for some reason. I just think it's really cool!haha

Day 1 - GETTING STARTED: Free play; spin whatever your heart desires!

The Nat Birchall Quartet - The Storyteller - A Musical Tribute To Yusef Lateef (Jazzman, 2019 Pressing)

Forgot to post this yesterday. This is a superb tribute to the multi-instrumentalist, Yusef Lateef, with the inclusion of new compositions written and performed by Nat Birchall. Really great music from start to finish.

IMG_9277 (1).JPG

Back