July 2020 Record Challenge (The Raffle Strikes Back)

As a DG fanatic, my experience is that they either work for you or they don't, but maybe it's as simple as finding the right song or album to make it lock into place. I personally think they have a fair amount of range compared to what they're usually typecast as which is "angry man yells over the sound of pots and pans being mashed together." I think The Money Store is a good entry point, being their most well-known album, but I also feel like they've progressed pretty far beyond it for it to still be what they're "known" for. Even the album that came right after TMS, No Love Deep Web, is an entirely different sound and vibe, and, in my opinion, a much more effective version of the band's sound.

I don't mean to lecture, it's just this is a question I've seen a lot, and for some, they can tell within a millisecond whether or not they will like DG. I think a big part of it for some people who are on the edge, unsure how they feel, is if they have a desire to return to it at all. People who have a visceral negative reaction probably will never find them appealing, but a lot of fans will tell you they started off with mixed feelings but there was also this strange attraction that kept them coming back until they finally "got it." It happens for some and not for others and that's just the way music works. This stance that some fans of certain bands take that those who don't like their favorite band just don't "get it" is extremely condescending. You could do all the research in the world on Death Grips and their art and still just not have a personal taste for it. I will never tell anyone to stop exploring and seeking out music, but that discovery has to happen organically.

Sorry for the rant, here's a fun picture of DG to make up for making people read all that.
View attachment 55884
Yeah, I enjoy loud and abrasive and to me that isn’t an issue. I try to never write anything off at this point as I have had many moments where music goes from not making sense to actively adoring it. Everytime DG our out a new record I give it a go but have yet to be wooed, I am not saying I will never enjoy them I am just gonna assume I don’t enjoy them yet.

Day 9: A Grower

R.E.M. - Murmur

Out of all the bands that I “should” like these were the ones that didn’t click, for the longest time I thought they were just a bit boring on record, even though I’d seen them live at Glastonbury and loved every minute.

A couple of years after they split I decided to give them another go, this time starting from the beginning with their debut and this album made everything click and now I really like the band! This album is still, and probably always will be, my favourite!

B23E6453-6270-4B9A-A305-010676499904.jpeg33096E68-1794-4EAD-A7CB-B2FB2117069F.jpeg

Last edited:
JULY 9
JUST GIVE IT TIME
An album that grew on you

Four Tet - Pink

I'm a big fan of Four Tet, but when this one came out I never fell in love with it, despite finding it enjoyable. Fast forward to joining a certain record club and seeing it as a swap option, and actually sitting down on the couch to listen to it- it turns out I just needed to give it more time and attention to "get" it.

20200709_125542.jpg

Day 9 - It's a Grower

Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool

I didn't dislike AMSP when it came out, but I didn't immediately love it. In fact, after my first couple listens (via a burned CD from a friend) I put it away for quite awhile. I should know better with Radiohead; I didn't love All Them Rainbows at first, and all these years later it's up there among my favorites. So this one is definitely growing on me with each listen, and lately it's been the first Radiohead album I reach for.

20200709_170822.jpg

Day 9 - Give it time

I picked this up blind when I first started collecting. I was a fan of Jeff Buckley, and knew Tim was also well-regarded and I kind of assumed he was a similar artist. And look at him there, laid back, smiling - this is just a nice folk record, right? Was I ever surprised when I played this 😂. It was kinda like taking a drink of water and finding out it’s vodka.

I guess the funny thing is, this is by far the most avant-garde TB record, so any other record and my perception would have been close. Once I got used to it, it’s by far my favorite TB, it’s strange and beautiful.

EFCB5451-E354-4E08-82EC-52A0F9065230.jpeg

Day 9 - Give it time

I picked this up blind when I first started collecting. I was a fan of Jeff Buckley, and knew Tim was also well-regarded and I kind of assumed he was a similar artist. And look at him there, laid back, smiling - this is just a nice folk record, right? Was I ever surprised when I played this 😂. It was kinda like taking a drink of water and finding out it’s vodka.

I guess the funny thing is, this is by far the most avant-garde TB record, so any other record and my perception would have been close. Once I got used to it, it’s by far my favorite TB, it’s strange and beautiful.

View attachment 55902
Man, Jeff is a spitting image of his Pa.

Day 9: One to Grow On

ABC83537-CB02-44D2-9A8E-C871FB618934.jpeg

Julian Casablancas and The Voidz "Tyranny"

I didn't like this record when I first heard it! I'm a big Strokes fan and LOVED his first solo record but this one didn't click at all!!! I chatted with a friend about how disappointed we both were and how it was over, no more Strokes records, no more solo records from Julian they're dead to us!! My wife having heard all this streams it on on our next road trip... It was like a completely DIFFERENT record!!! I was LOVING it, my wife was looking at me like I was nuts!! She would just keep asking, what's wrong with this song, my answer, nothing, it's quite good! Needless to say it "clicked" and I was back in that train! I had my friend give it another shot and I guess it clicked with him because he was also like, what were we thinking!?!? I haven't pulled this out in a while, still love it!

day 9 - just give it time

6BDDFE92-F2D4-4E67-8B50-F495646AE6B8.jpeg

the smashing pumpkins - adore

while this was a pretty hard left turn from mellon collie that a lot of people had trouble appreciating initially (if ever), i’m posting this album moreso to represent that it took awhile for me to appreciate the smashing pumpkins, period, than just appreciating this record. despite the pumpkins being about as big a band in the mid-90s as any band could be, it was between the release of adore and machina that i finally gave them a real chance, and this record was a part of that growth for me.

perfect is a song, though, that i still have a strong and irrational dislike of.

Day 9
The second best thing VMP gave me

the first being you guys!

give a record three spins.

when I got this record from MRC last month, I was like whatever... five listens in and I keep coming back to it. Turns out it’s infectious.

2AF6189E-E5FB-4C88-A6D9-197A3C5A0683.jpeg
Little Comets - Life is Elsewhere

Day 9 - Just Give It Time - Big Thief‘s Capacity

Anyone who knows much about my musical tastes today knows I am hugely into Big Thief so it might seem out of place for my favorite album of theirs to be my pick for this theme. In fact this album reawakened my passion for listening to new music after some hiatus where I got my shit together and also had kids. This type of music was pretty far outside my perception of my tastes at the time. I think I found it looking at some AOTY style lists. For some reason I kept coming back to it unsure what the draw was. I think I was learning how to listen to music differently. I do know the song Mary was the switch flip for me but then suddenly I was overwhelmed with every song. It really sent me on a whole arc forging into folk style music that makes up a substantial amount of my listening these days.

47BC712E-60BE-4D21-AFF3-2F629D8F9F8F.jpeg

DAY 9: JUST GIVE IT TIME

Neil Young - Harvest

View attachment 55925

It actually took me a bit of time to get into Neil Young’s voice, and though I haven’t done a deep dive into all of his work yet, I’m getting there.
I liked Neil quite a bit already when I was your age and a bit younger, primarily focussing on this album and a couple others, but in the last year or two I've been getting more and more into him. My only advice would be to take your time and not rush it. There's so much, and it's so gratifying when it finally clicks.

Day 9 - Just Give it Time

Beach House "Devotion"

When this album was chosen as VMP Essential in March 2018 and I've listened to it for the first time I thought that all songs sound a bit boring and didn't feel it. I've streamed the album a few more times in the next weeks and it felt better and better. Finally it really clicked, I've ordered it and now I'm loving it a lot. 💛

IMG_20200710_075241.jpg

Day 10: Eating

This album reminds me of Silence Of The Lambs....and Silence Of The Lambs reminds me of eating.

Colin Newman ‎– A-Z
Beggars Banquet ‎– BEGA 20, 1980

UK pressing
Cut at Sterling

xsrfoU.jpg

ZhOOhE.jpg

This track was in the movie...

Back