July 2020 Record Challenge (The Raffle Strikes Back)

JULY 6
ONE HIT WONDERLAND
Play an album by a one hit wonder

According to the wiki ... Patrice Rushen – "Forget Me Nots" (1982) and Fiona Apple – "Criminal" (1997), are a one-hit wonders. I do have some others from the 2010's, but they still have time to make more hits, and so does Fiona, for that matter.

Patrice Rushen ‎– Straight From The Heart

IMG_20200707_101333.jpg

Day 07 - SORRY FOR THE WAIT

Tom Waits ‎– Small Change (Anti, 2018 Limited Remastered Pressing)

Well, I thought I would be the only person to post a Tom Waits album today but @dhodo beat me to it by mere minutes (great choice btw buddy!). I had already spun it so, in this case, I will post anyway (it is a different album after all). Waits' music always reflects the current climate (sometimes subtly and sometimes painfully direct) and I would love to see what inspiration he takes from the current state of the world. This is also a selfish choice as for years I have been wishing that he would go on one last tour so I could see him live. It doesn't look like its ever going to happen now, but we can wish...

IMG_9458.JPG

JULY 7
SORRY FOR THE WAIT
An artist you wish would release new music

Toad the Wet Sprocket- New Constellation

1017EADD-D046-41A5-BB19-BA978FFAAF3B.jpeg
It was 16 years (and one break up) between Coil and New Constellation. And now it’s been another 7 years! I really enjoy this album, it features a top 5 Toad track for me in California Wasted. The good news is the band is working on a new album, hopefully we see it sooner rather than later!

July 7: Sorry For the Wait

Daft Punk - Discovery

View attachment 55549

I'm losing hope, honestly :(
They're doing a soundtrack this year, aren't they? I don't think they are done, it was eight years between Human After All and RAM, with the Tron soundtrack in between, maybe the cycle is just repeating itself? 👀

DAY 7
SORRY FOR THE WAIT
Death Grips - Year of the Snitch
Considering DG has averaged at least one new project a year since 2011, and in that run they've created some of the best music of the 2010s, I'm ok with waiting a while for a new album from them. 2020 marks the first time they have gone more than a year without releasing new music and people seem to think this means they're done, which I doubt. I don't know if we'll get a new album this year what with COVID and all, but whatever they have coming I'm sure will be worth the wait. Decided to go with their most recent album for today, this is probably their wackiest collection of songs so far, with a lot of surrealism and even kind of an absurd sense of humor that a lot of people probably wouldn't expect from such an "angry" band. It feels like the band not taking themselves all that seriously without just devolving into a joke. It's also to me maybe one of their most repayable albums from start to finish, the album just has this really wonky yet satisfying flow from track to track that makes it addicting to listen to. DG always end up delivering something you wouldn't get from anybody else and this album is a testament to that in all it's strange glory.
20200707_150410.jpg

Day 6: ONE HIT WONDER

Pretty much only known for "Black Betty" - the rest of this album is pretty forgettable stuff.

Ram Jam ‎– Ram Jam
Epic ‎– PE 34885, 1977

Pressed at Columbia, Santa Maria

NwbbM5.jpg

Y5gAqY.jpg

DAY 7
SORRY FOR THE WAIT
And now for some Kiwi jangle pop, The Bats - Deep Set (2017).

While it has only been 3 years since this record, The Bats are not exactly proficient. The band released their first single in 1984 and first lp in 1987. They have released 9 studio records in their career and 4 albums since 2000. At this rate I should see a new record by them in 2023 I think.

I bought my first Bats record in 1988 and still not had any luck with catching them live. Also, since the first single in 1984 it has been all the same band members.
IMG_0466.jpg

Day 7 - Sorry for the Wait

The latest Slowdive record appeared in 2017, a mere 22 years after the previous one. They were technically disbanded for most of that time, so let’s hope it’s a shorter wait this time around.

42B29F4A-37B9-40F6-B6AF-424644D10CCB.jpeg

Day 7 - Sorry for the Wait

Modest Mouse - Strangers to Ourselves - 2015

Four albums in 20 years, with eight years between Ship Sank and this one. I don't have any reason to believe another one is coming any time soon. I'm all ears if and when it happens though.

20200707_181301.jpg

Back