Jazz

IF by Nathan Davis getting a reissue. @Portland Sheriff IIRC you’re a Nathan Davis fan?
Thanks for looking out! If the catalog number is accurate, this is a repress of the 2005 P-Vine reissue, which I have. It’s not his best album to my ears, and I agree with one of the Discogs commenters about the sound — it’s fine, not great.

I suppose it’s possible they’ll do something different with this so that it’s a reissue and not a repress?

EDIT: I should add that my ears prefer is “jazz” sound more than his “jazz-funk” sound, and that’s probably true across the board, which is why it’s not my fav of his.

Thanks for looking out! If the catalog number is accurate, this is a repress of the 2005 P-Vine reissue, which I have. It’s not his best album to my ears, and I agree with one of the Discogs commenters about the sound — it’s fine, not great.

I suppose it’s possible they’ll do something different with this so that it’s a reissue and not a repress?

EDIT: I should add that my ears prefer is “jazz” sound more than his “jazz-funk” sound, and that’s probably true across the board, which is why it’s not my fav of his.
@MikeH fwiw in case you’re interested in this one, i spun it again tonight bc I hadn’t listened to it in a while, and it sounded better than I remembered. And I stared on side 2 and, for some reason, vibed with it more than i remember

@MikeH fwiw in case you’re interested in this one, i spun it again tonight bc I hadn’t listened to it in a while, and it sounded better than I remembered. And I stared on side 2 and, for some reason, vibed with it more than i remember
Thanks! I’m probably going to go for it and hope dusty groove or someone in the US sells it

Copying this over from the Blue Note thread for those that might have missed it:

Blue Note are reissuing the Sonny Rollins "A Night at the Village Vanguard" as a 3LP Tone Poet set.

Volume 3 of the Blue Note Review is being released this year too and will focus on Lee Morgan. The first set in the series to focus on a single musician. He's my favourite musician which would make this right up my street, but unless it's new music I will probably pass.

For those wondering, I have Vol 2 of the Review and it's really great. Fantastic quality throughout and the records sound fantastic. The extra bits are all nice to haves too. I skipped Vol 1 because there wasn't really much there to justify the price in my opinion, most of the expense seems to have been put on the scarf that came with it.

Any word on what Lee Morgan material will be in a box set? One of my absolute top Blue Note albums is Search for a New Land but almost every one of his albums is killer, regardless of whether it is hard-bop or post-bop. Many many years ago I was working in a record store and an OG of Candy came in pretty much never played. I really regret not grabbing it because I have never seen one since.

A 3 LP version of A Night at the Village Vanguard will get me down to my local store, but I hope it would be a box set and not an overstuffed triple gatefold design.

Copying this over from the Blue Note thread for those that might have missed it:

Blue Note are reissuing the Sonny Rollins "A Night at the Village Vanguard" as a 3LP Tone Poet set.

Volume 3 of the Blue Note Review is being released this year too and will focus on Lee Morgan. The first set in the series to focus on a single musician. He's my favourite musician which would make this right up my street, but unless it's new music I will probably pass.

For those wondering, I have Vol 2 of the Review and it's really great. Fantastic quality throughout and the records sound fantastic. The extra bits are all nice to haves too. I skipped Vol 1 because there wasn't really much there to justify the price in my opinion, most of the expense seems to have been put on the scarf that came with it.

And VMP will repress the BN Anthology from 5 years ago, apparently at their own plant so it should be great.

8beqq6.jpg

Any word on what Lee Morgan material will be in a box set? One of my absolute top Blue Note albums is Search for a New Land but almost every one of his albums is killer, regardless of whether it is hard-bop or post-bop. Many many years ago I was working in a record store and an OG of Candy came in pretty much never played. I really regret not grabbing it because I have never seen one since.

A 3 LP version of A Night at the Village Vanguard will get me down to my local store, but I hope it would be a box set and not an overstuffed triple gatefold design.
Search For The New Land is being released as a BN Classic next month (and on sale via the BN store at the moment, link below)...which isn't to say that it *couldn't* be included in the box set, though it seems unlikely.

I’m not too sure about the Lee Morgan material yet, but we are due to find out soon.

Morgan is my favourite musician so in theory I should be all over this, but fortunately over the years I have managed to acquire all of Morgan’s albums apart from Taru. Now, if they have some new music to throw in the mix then I will definitely be interested!!

Next in the Verve/AS series. @zdkaiser need more Bill??
Thanks, but likely gonna pass. I have this version already and it's basically flawless:

Stan Getz , Bill Evans - Stan Getz & Bill Evans

Url: https://www.discogs.com/release/13247130-Stan-Getz-Bill-Evans-Stan-Getz-Bill-Evans

Shared from the Discogs App

I just received my VMP Spiritual Jazz four records. I can't comment on the records nor on the sounding but the sleeves are fantastic.

If the records are at the same level, I'd sign right now for another round of releases.

I just received my VMP Spiritual Jazz four records. I can't comment on the records nor on the sounding but the sleeves are fantastic.

If the records are at the same level, I'd sign right now for another round of releases.
I listened to the Pharoah Sanders one the other day and its great great. Looking forward to digging into the rest and I agree, I would definitely sign up for more like these!

I've been Mathered... All four records are warped and one even has a damaged sleeve in the inside...

Back