Jazz

All gone after one minute!
I was on. It’s always really hard to get anything that’s truly in demand on Universounds, but this was nuts. Site crashed a few times for me due to traffic. The Free Slave sold instantly and the rest followed for the most part. The VG++ Tauhid lasted more than 15 minutes, though, which was weird given how fast everything else went.

Happy Boxing Day everyone! If anyone sees any offers on the BBE J-Jazz titles or the Sam Records titles could you please let me know? Thanks!

For the brits, Assai records has a load of records for £19.99 each with free shipping over £50. I’ve bought a few Tone Poets I was waiting on.

Happy days to you and yours!
Happy Boxing Day everyone! If anyone sees any offers on the BBE J-Jazz titles or the Sam Records titles could you please let me know? Thanks!

For the brits, Assai records has a load of records for £19.99 each with free shipping over £50. I’ve bought a few Tone Poets I was waiting on.

Tony Oxley British drummer has died, played with Cecil Taylor , Evan Parker, was house drummer at Ronnie Scott’s and heaps of albums under his own name and other British freeish players. A voice among the many.
Oh man this is so sad. Tony was such a key player/influence on the British jazz scene. Really sad to hear another British jazz legend passed.

Im going to listen to his “The Baptised Traveller” when I get a free minute.

Unfortunately, this probably won’t help you in the UK, but since you asked and it may benefit others, Elusive Disc has 10% off $100 and 15% off $150, and Sam Records and BBE are included, even pre-orders, which is rare bc many sales nowadays are limited to “in stock.” Elusive Disc excludes some labels (Impex being one), but it’s not nearly as restrictive as Acoustic Sounds when it comes to labels excluded from sale pricing.

Also in the U.S., Dusty Groove usually has Sam Records titles for $34.99, instead of the usual $39.99.

Unfortunately, this probably won’t help you in the UK, but since you asked and it may benefit others, Elusive Disc has 10% off $100 and 15% off $150, and Sam Records and BBE are included, even pre-orders, which is rare bc many sales nowadays are limited to “in stock.” Elusive Disc excludes some labels (Impex being one), but it’s not nearly as restrictive as Acoustic Sounds when it comes to labels excluded from sale pricing.

Also in the U.S., Dusty Groove usually has Sam Records titles for $34.99, instead of the usual $39.99.
All good man, share away!

Always good to get the deals out there. To add to it for the UK folk, Amazon seem to have some OK prices on some of the BBE J-Jazz releases.

£26.72 for the Hideyasu Terakawa Quartet - Introducing Hideyasu Terakawa Quartet Live Featuring Hiroshi Fujii
£25.03 for Takeo Moriyama - Live At Lovely
£24.77 for the Shintaro Quintet - Evolution

Not too bad really considering free shipping.

Bummer. ETA, the venue where Jeff Parker recorded his album Mondays at the Enfield Tennis Academy, is being forced to close for unknown reasons. For anyone in L.A./Highland Park, your last chance to catch his IVtet performing there is tomorrow night. Wish I could make the trip.

Ughhh - was just messaging with my buddy about coordinating a trip there when Jeff is playing sometime this year 😭

Nice piece in The NY Times today on Strata-East Records, founded in 1971 by Charles Tolliver and Stanley Cowell. The label was known for being artist-centric, and as such became a hub for a more spiritual and psychedelic style of jazz. Many great releases, including some from the founders, Pharaoh Sanders, Clifford Jordan, Charles Rouse, Gil-Scott Heron and others.

One of the commenters put together a YouTube playlist of the tracks discussed. Not surprisingly, it's great!

Back