Jazz

Don't know if anyone's posted this yet, but it has me curious.
Screenshot_2023-12-06-22-12-20-25_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
Limited Edition Mono 180g Vinyl LP!
Never-Before-Released 1958 Studio Recording!
Cut by Kevin Gray at Cohearent & Pressed at Optimal in Germany!
Vinyl-Only Release Strictly Limited to 4,000 Copies!

In July 1958, Donald Byrd made a lengthy visit to Europe, not returning Stateside until December. He fronted a fine quintet that gave concert appearances at festivals held in many countries, Knokke-le-Zoute (Belgium), Cannes (France), Sweden, Norway, Germany – and an engagement at the Paris jazz club Au Chat Qui Pêche, a few days after their concert at the Olympia.

The group felt very comfortable at the club on rue de la Huchette, and it soon became a second home for them. In November and December 1958, Donald Byrd and his men were invited by the French Radio to make some recordings. Sam Records is proud to present this previously unreleased studio session recorded for the French Radio Television Show Jazz aux Champs-Elysées.

Features
Limited Edition - 4,000 Copies
180g Vinyl
Mono
First Official Release with the Full Permission & Cooperation of INA (Institut National de l'Audiovisuel)
Available on Vinyl Only
Remastered from the Original Mono Master Tapes
Cut by Kevin Gray at Cohearent Mastering
Pressed at Optimal in Germany
Deluxe High-Gloss Flipback Album Jacket
Double Insert Using an Original Photo by JP Leloir

View attachment 189802

In July 1958, Donald Byrd made a lengthy visit to Europe, not returning Stateside until December. He fronted a fine quintet that gave concert appearances at festivals held in many countries, Knokke-le-Zoute (Belgium), Cannes (France), Sweden, Norway, Germany – and an engagement at the Paris jazz club Au Chat Qui Pêche, a few days after their concert at the Olympia.

The group felt very comfortable at the club on rue de la Huchette, and it soon became a second home for them. In November and December 1958, Donald Byrd and his men were invited by the French Radio to make some recordings. Sam Records is proud to present this previously unreleased studio session recorded for the French Radio Television Show Jazz aux Champs-Elysées.

Features
180g Vinyl
Mono
First Official Release with the Full Permission & Cooperation of INA (Institut National de l'Audiovisuel)
Available on Vinyl Only
The last few in this series have been great!

View attachment 189802

Features
180g Vinyl
Mono
Available on Vinyl Only
This is a repress. I think Sam Records presses their “strictly limited” releases in batches.

I have it. It’s good for sure , and this reminds me to spin it again. Donald Byrd & Bobby Jaspar - Paris '58

Just noticed that Joel Ross has a new album on the way. He is coming through town with Gerald Clayton and Immanuel Wilkins in February, as part of the Jazz is Dead Blue Note 85th anniversary tour.

nubluesD2CLP.png

One of you rich friends on here ought to go buy this and have us over for a listening party

I’m partial to his Connecticut home

One of you rich friends on here ought to go buy this and have us over for a listening party

I’m partial to his Connecticut home

Man oh man, I guess he did okay for himself! 🤯

Forgot to share this. Muriel Grossmann’s latest album, Devotion, arrived the other day. Waiting for the weekend to give it a clean and listen but looking forward to it. I opted for the limited coloured pressing on this one so hopefully it sounds good.

7A3EAE2F-E072-45E5-B637-B2C8C7E8A7CB.jpeg

Forgot to share this. Muriel Grossmann’s latest album, Devotion, arrived the other day. Waiting for the weekend to give it a clean and listen but looking forward to it. I opted for the limited coloured pressing on this one so hopefully it sounds good.

View attachment 190202
I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on it. I'm a little on the fence about it (the music that is, not the pressing). On the plus side, I like the way the guitar sound (which was rather samey on previous records) is much more varied. But her playing feels a bit more trad (a bit like last track of Universal Code, which I didn't like). I feel she's come off the highs of Golden Rule / Reverence, but maybe that's just me...

Am I crazy, or was McCoy Tyner's Impulse debut Inception supposed to get a reissue this year? I'm googling and can't find mention of it anywhere. Did I dream this up?? Haha

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on it. I'm a little on the fence about it (the music that is, not the pressing). On the plus side, I like the way the guitar sound (which was rather samey on previous records) is much more varied. But her playing feels a bit more trad (a bit like last track of Universal Code, which I didn't like). I feel she's come off the highs of Golden Rule / Reverence, but maybe that's just me...

It's also a Third Man Records release, so sadly the potential for disappointment in the QC department is significant. As such, I have been holding off on picking it up. Having said that, there is one very glowing review on Discogs, so who knows? Let us know your thoughts @Selaws

Back