Jazz

I’ve had a chance to A/B the Go West! box pressing of Way Out West versus the OJC, and you described the differences almost perfectly to my ears. Rollins’s tone is definitely fuller and more lush on the BG cut. The bass clarity and presence is probably the most obvious distinction. It’s like a different album from a bass-focused perspective. Drums and cymbals are more laid back for sure in the BG cut compared to the OJC, which has more of a live and forward vibe on the drums and cymbals (especially the cymbals, which are really in your face on the OJC). Rollins’s tone is more lean on the OJC but it cuts straight through in a way that some people might prefer.

For me (and my ears and system), these kinds of differences are consistent with differences in how I perceive RKS and BG cut jazz reissues compared to KG. The former seem to have more warmth and midrange and low-end guts compared to KG who seems to emphasize the outer edges a bit more, particularly in the high range. I’m not saying KG’s cuts sound like dried jerky. I have plenty of his reissues that I really like — a lot — but I consistently prefer cuts by these other guys in the jazz realm, at least.

In any event, regardless of what I think and how shitty my ears might be, I highly recommend the Go West! box, especially if you can get it for under $40 like some of us were able to. I wasn’t even looking at this box b4 that Movie Mars sale bc I was happy with the OJC Way Out West, but I’m really glad I pulled the trigger.
We just need KG to build a second tube console when @MikeH will give him some rec time out of the hole.

Speaking of RKS, I grabbed the George Russell New York on the SOV sale.
Came in under $10 delivered.

What a nice album! Not sure why I passed on it before but the lineup of players is excellent.

I love the sound of bongos in "Manhatta-Rico/East Side Medley"
Haven't heard the RKS, but I have an '82 Japanese pressing that sounds quite nice. It's a wonderful album! And the lineup is 👌

The textured jacket on this feels/looks great in hand.

View attachment 187462
Finally trekk'd to the local to pick my copy of Bill Evans - Sunday OJC/KPG (among a slew of others 🙃) and this was the first thing that hit me. The tactile feel of the jacket is fantastic. Gives you a wonderful first impression, and I have to say a couple of cuts in, I think this is my favorite OJC release of the bunch. Thus far I haven't heard any tape noise or artifacts. I have been in that room many times, and listening to this takes me right back. That's what it's all about.

Finally trekk'd to the local to pick my copy of Bill Evans - Sunday OJC/KPG (among a slew of others 🙃) and this was the first thing that hit me. The tactile feel of the jacket is fantastic. Gives you a wonderful first impression, and I have to say a couple of cuts in, I think this is my favorite OJC release of the bunch. Thus far I haven't heard any tape noise or artifacts. I have been in that room many times, and listening to this takes me right back. That's what it's all about.
Real nice jacket! Gotta spin mine today. It’s in the long line of records to get in the humminguru!

Real nice jacket! Gotta spin mine today. It’s in the long line of records to get in the humminguru!
This belongs in another thread, but gonna try to chill out on vinyl acquisition in early '24 and budget for a Humminguru. I have a Record Doctor, and I'm just not compelled to use it being a manual turn machine. The thought of just placing a disc for wash and dry and letting it do its this is mighty appealing.

This belongs in another thread, but gonna try to chill out on vinyl acquisition in early '24 and budget for a Humminguru. I have a Record Doctor, and I'm just not compelled to use it being a manual turn machine. The thought of just placing a disc for wash and dry and letting it do its this is mighty appealing.
It’s 100% worth it. I had the VPI and hardly ever used it since it was so large and heavy and I didn’t have anywhere to leave it set up. The HG is so easy to use. Only real downside is it can be loud and screechy a bit so might want it in a separate room. It was in the bathroom outside of my office for a bit haha

It’s 100% worth it. I had the VPI and hardly ever used it since it was so large and heavy and I didn’t have anywhere to leave it set up. The HG is so easy to use. Only real downside is it can be loud and screechy a bit so might want it in a separate room. It was in the bathroom outside of my office for a bit haha
I have an attached converted garage that serves as my office, studio, and gym. 100% will live out there!

I've just got to share this here.

For year Oxfam (the charity here in the UK) have been taking the piss with the pricing of their records (which they receive for free as gifts remember) and they typically list them for more than they have ever sold on Discogs. I thought I had seen the worst examples until earlier today.

They are listing a 2008 Russian De Agostini copy of Herbie Hancock's Maiden Voyage for......£1000.

I thought it was a typo at first (even £10 would be a stretch) but its actually what they are expecting to get for it. "This is rare Russian version (Made in EU)......Check out the Discogs listing to see how valuable this album is.". Wild

Screenshot 2023-12-06 at 19.23.27.png

I've just got to share this here.

For year Oxfam (the charity here in the UK) have been taking the piss with the pricing of their records (which they receive for free as gifts remember) and they typically list them for more than they have ever sold on Discogs. I thought I had seen the worst examples until earlier today.

They are listing a 2008 Russian De Agostini copy of Herbie Hancock's Maiden Voyage for......£1000.

I thought it was a typo at first (even £10 would be a stretch) but its actually what they are expecting to get for it. "This is rare Russian version (Made in EU)......Check out the Discogs listing to see how valuable this album is.". Wild

View attachment 189758
Someone is going to be really upset when they find out how the $20 BNC sounds.

Back