Jazz

I believe Chad hates Alice Coltrane’s music as well.

The good news is that there’s an AS Pharoah Sanders - Karma coming out this winter iirc
Also, Pharoah provided rights to his whole catalog to a management group and they are supposed to be spearheading reissues. It's been 2021 since that was announced, no idea what their plans were/are in light of his passing.

It would be nice if Universal would just publish a list of all the masters that were lost instead of reporters giving us vague information about masters of these artists being lost....
Agree, but they won't. Artists have already been litigating this fiasco, they want to make it as hard as possible for more to do so.

For artists, it's not so much that the master tape was lost. It's the multitracks and session tapes, for which no safeties exist. So no remix, no box sets, etc.

There is a list internally, it is all in the Universal database, which identifies what tapes and files are available. Alice Coltrane - nothing. Pharoah Sanders - most gone, Karma is an exception. Yusef Lateef - all gone. Archie Shepp - up in smoke. And on, and on.

It's not that Chad hates Alice Coltrane, it's more likely he's never heard her.

Universal has digital safeties. Most likely 32 bit files. They won't be DSD, only Sony was doing that. However, more promising is that Universal searched worldwide for second generation tapes that were sent to foreign affiliates back in the day. So in many cases, tape will exist.

82105241.jpg

Is there any idea why Analogue Productions has not done any Alice Coltrane or Pharoah Sanders yet? I assume that the more avant garde stuff from Coltrane will eventually be done.... Are they maybe just waiting to see how that stuff does?
Chad was asked about Alice reissues. He said he only issues music he likes and snapped back at the interviewer and said they can start a label and reissue it if they want.

Karma is having an AAA reissue in the AS series coming up soon

Someone said that Jazz Impressions of Black Orpheus by Vince Guaraldi briefly popped up under the small batch title list on craft’s site today. Whatever the title is, the next one step will be announced tomorrow

Chad was asked about Alice reissues. He said he only issues music he likes and snapped back at the interviewer and said they can start a label and reissue it if they want.

Karma is having an AAA reissue in the AS series coming up soon
I have been really enjoying my ignorance of this guy but holy shit what a dickhead (and poor businessman)

I have been really enjoying my ignorance of this guy but holy shit what a dickhead (and poor businessman)
I was kind of taken aback when he said it haha. I think it was in an interview with mikefromtheingroove on youtube or something. i saw him get similarly annoyed in another video when someone asked what tape they used for the AS series A Love Supreme reissue. From my recollection, he got a bit annoyed and said people keep asking him that but they used the best available tape for it and that's all that should matter.

I admittedly was not familiar with Pharoah outside of his earlier work with the Coltrane's, Thembi, and Karma. Spent the whole day listening to KCRW NY who played nothing but Pharoah all day and there was so much good stuff. For a while it went chronological and I really dug the 80/90s stuff they played a lot. In particular, I really enjoyed Love Will Find A Way, Elevations, and The Creator Has A Master Plan (2003). I wound up writing a lot of stuff down to revisit later, but what a killer body of work he had. Such a powerful player.

New craft small batch is up!

1664288147895.png

interestingly, they are also doing a 3LP plangent processed version cut by Kevin Gray.

V

View attachment 152522

interestingly, they are also doing a 3LP plangent processed version cut by Kevin Gray.

Very interesting choice for a one-step. It’s a very pleasant album, but kind of what I see as a dollar bin record as well. Perhaps this is one of those demo quality recordings which will make it mind blowing

Someone said that Jazz Impressions of Black Orpheus by Vince Guaraldi briefly popped up under the small batch title list on craft’s site today. Whatever the title is, the next one step will be announced tomorrow
And so it is

V

Very interesting choice for a one-step. It’s a very pleasant album, but kind of what I see as a dollar bin record as well. Perhaps this is one of those demo quality recordings which will make it mind blowing
There hasn't been a really good audiophile kind of pressing of it for about 20 years and I do like they are staying away from workhorse titles mostly. I'll grab the one step of this one I think since I have the others and have been really impressed by them. Quiet piano trio albums are the kinds of albums I like on one step since the low noise floor really lets you focus on the music.

I have seen early pressings, but they have always been kind of beat up.

Very curious why they ended up also doing a 3LP version cut by KG. Interesting decision by them...I do appreciate that they released them at the same time to give people the option though. Lots of other places would have released the KG cut after the one step sold out and I think people would have been pissed.

There hasn't been a really good audiophile kind of pressing of it for about 20 years and I do like they are staying away from workhorse titles mostly. I'll grab the one step of this one I think since I have the others and have been really impressed by them. Quiet piano trio albums are the kinds of albums I like on one step since the low noise floor really lets you focus on the music.

I have seen early pressings, but they have always been kind of beat up.

Very curious why they ended up also doing a 3LP version cut by KG. Interesting decision by them...I do appreciate that they released them at the same time to give people the option though. Lots of other places would have released the KG cut after the one step sold out and I think people would have been

View attachment 152522

If anyone wants a one-time use code for this 'early access' release, let me know.

Back